Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 28 2019 - 09:55 AM

I hadn't used the 1965 mod for a month or so, but now when I want to start it up it freezes at the main menu.
I've tried using different seasons (tracklists) and different player profiles but it just keeps happening. As soon as the game loads up there's no mouse cursor and after that it crashes back to the desktop.

All of the other installed mods still work fine though. Also the gpl65c.exe is still added to DEP and with the same video settings as all the other mods.

*Update* The probleem seem to be related to graphical settings, because when I make any changes in GEM under 'Graphics' the 1965 mod works normally but the resolution is reset to the default 640x480.
As soon I quit the game and start it up again the freezes and ctd return.

Edited by Millennium, Apr 28 2019 - 11:45 AM.

#2 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 116 posts

Posted Apr 28 2019 - 11:53 AM

I don't  have a solution for you, but you aren't alone.  I'm having the exact same issue with all of my mods. It worked fine a month ago when I played last.  It freezes at the main menu with a spinning circle instead of a cursor.   To verify if there was a problem with my game files, I copied the folder to a separate Win7 install.  All mods run perfectly fine there.   I checked DEP, focus assist, and all of the other known culprits.  My guess is that a recent Win10 update is causing the issue because I've made no other changes (drivers, etc).

Edited by rcb, Apr 28 2019 - 11:58 AM.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted Apr 28 2019 - 11:59 AM

The strange thing is that I am still on W7, and no recent updates installed. Whenever I revert to a backup the game loads fine the first time, but after that the problem starts to occur again. I have no idea what's going on.

Edited by Millennium, Apr 28 2019 - 01:14 PM.

#4 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 116 posts

Posted Apr 28 2019 - 05:19 PM

Ok, after some trial and error, I've found that it's my Eset NOD32 antivirus that's preventing the game from starting.   A recent virus/heuristics update must be the culprit.

The fix is:  NOD32 > setup > computer protection > HIPS gear symbol on right > deep behavioral inspection > exclusions edit > add the gpl and mod .exes

- Curt

#5 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Apr 28 2019 - 08:57 PM

View PostMillennium, on Apr 28 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

I hadn't used the 1965 mod for a month or so, but now when I want to start it up it freezes at the main menu.
I've tried using different seasons (tracklists) and different player profiles but it just keeps happening. As soon as the game loads up there's no mouse cursor and after that it crashes back to the desktop.

All of the other installed mods still work fine though. Also the gpl65c.exe is still added to DEP and with the same video settings as all the other mods.

*Update* The probleem seem to be related to graphical settings, because when I make any changes in GEM under 'Graphics' the 1965 mod works normally but the resolution is reset to the default 640x480.
As soon I quit the game and start it up again the freezes and ctd return.
i had the same problem but with all mods exept the 69x mod but after deleting all the gplxxc.exe files all is good
not sure if it was my anti virus update or what but it happens to me alot but its no big deal deleting a few files from time to time

#6 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted Apr 28 2019 - 11:48 PM

I now suspect it might have something to do with my G25. Whenever it's not plugged in I don't have the freeze. It's now happening randomly. Time to replace my wheel? :(

#7 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:all kinds of racing games
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 04:31 AM

View Postrcb, on Apr 28 2019 - 05:19 PM, said:

Ok, after some trial and error, I've found that it's my Eset NOD32 antivirus that's preventing the game from starting.   A recent virus/heuristics update must be the culprit.

The fix is:  NOD32 > setup > computer protection > HIPS gear symbol on right > deep behavioral inspection > exclusions edit > add the gpl and mod .exes

- Curt
I can confirm HIPS mechanism from various anti-virus/firewall software can block some games from switching to fullscreen, which usually causes black screen and even lock system up, the solution is to white list all GPL exe file. (one other program that known to cause black screen is Comodo firewall, it has exact same HIPS thing).

#8 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,178 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 05:07 AM

View PostMillennium, on Apr 28 2019 - 11:48 PM, said:

I now suspect it might have something to do with my G25. Whenever it's not plugged in I don't have the freeze. It's now happening randomly. Time to replace my wheel? :(

On post #1 you wrote it only happened with the 65 mod?
Now it happens only when the wheel is plugged in?

Do other (race) games also crash when the wheel is plugged in or is it only with GPL?
If only GPL crashes then it could be more of a software problem that is colliding with something else running on the system or blocking it (maybe a Windows service, or Anti-Virus, ....)

Have you tried using another USB-Port to plug in the wheel?

Have you tried to update your Logitech G25 software?
Does the Logithech G25 software run fine? Does it show any error? Is there any possibility for trouble shooting within the software?

View PostSV3000, on Apr 29 2019 - 04:31 AM, said:

I can confirm HIPS mechanism from various anti-virus/firewall software can block some games from switching to fullscreen, which usually causes black screen and even lock system up, the solution is to white list all GPL exe file. (one other program that known to cause black screen is Comodo firewall, it has exact same HIPS thing).

I can also confirm that.

GEM+ can also be detected as malware by some anti-virus software.
My Kaspersky software for example does. After I add the GEM.exe to exceptions (white list) in the Kaspersky settings it is fine again.

----------
Note to myself: Adding the anti-virus issue to my GPL installation guide. :)

Edited by Stefan Roess, Apr 29 2019 - 05:09 AM.

#9 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 09:17 AM

My wheel has been acting strange lately, though GPL is the only game that suddenly gives me trouble. Anyway I've switched the cable to a usb 3.0 port and added the gplc65.exe to the exclusion list in ESET and for now it seems to be working again. But I wonder, is it possible that antivirus sometimes let a program run and other times not? (I mean in a period of a couple of minutes) Also I didn't get a black screen, but rather a freeze in the menu. That made me think it could be usb related?

So i don't know which one of them caused the issue, either way fingers crossed it keeps working now. :)

Edited by Millennium, Apr 29 2019 - 09:19 AM.

#10 roberto teso

roberto teso

untitled

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:shoestrings theory

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostMillennium, on Apr 29 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Anyway I've switched the cable to a usb 3.0 port and added the gplc65.exe to the exclusion list in ESET and for now it seems to be working again.
That's strange, it's a well known problem that G25 have issues with USB 3, anyway if it work don't change.

#11 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 01:15 PM

Sadly the problem has returned. It's only the 1965 mod still. It works for some time and then it stops working and freezes in the main menu again.

Selecting a new 'SEASON' made it work again and when I select the possibly "corrupted" season a while later thát also works again. I'm totally clueless now.

Edited by Millennium, Apr 29 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#12 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,178 posts

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 03:44 PM

You write that GPL freezes in the menu, but not while you are driving. Did I understand that correct?
If it does not freeze while driving but when you are in the GPL menu it sounds rather like a graphics problem than a wheel problem.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Apr 29 2019 - 03:45 PM.

#13 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 11:36 PM

That is correct indeed, no freezes when driving only in the menu.

Every time I do get it to work again the resolution is reset to 640x480 so you are probably right. I use the same gpu settings for gplc65 as any other mod, but the freezes only appear when I load a 1965 carset.

Edited by Millennium, Apr 29 2019 - 11:40 PM.

#14 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,269 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 08:06 AM

The GPL menu screen is always set at 640x480.  This is a 1998 program that has many improvements (!), but the menu screen resolution is one difficult puppy to change.

#15 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,178 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 08:13 AM

IFRC there is a high resolution patch for the menu screen, but with the patch activated my GPL crashed.
Maybe it works on your system?!

See hi-res menu patch by brr: http://srmz.net/inde...t=40#entry42061
-> The patch changes the menu display mode from 640x480 to 1280x1024

Edited by Stefan Roess, Apr 30 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#16 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,269 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 08:15 AM

Stefan, here's the catch to using brr's patch for the menu.

"The menus are not scaled up, so you'll end up with a 640x480 menu in a 1280x1024 display mode."

You cannot manually scale up 640x480 images unless they were originally made in a higher res and then saved as *.png or similar.  All of the screens across all the mods are a bucket load of images to find higher resolution versions.   :)

Edited by gliebzeit, Apr 30 2019 - 08:37 AM.

#17 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 12:50 PM

No I mean the ingame resolution is reset to 640x480. Should have been more specific, sorry.

Okay so this is what just happend:

1. Start gpl with Thundercars / 1967 carset = works
2. Start gpl with the 1965 mod = freeze
3. Disable 'Ffb3Test1' and launch 1965 mod = works again (but ingame resolution is set to 640x480)
4. Enable 'Ffb2'  and launch 1965 mod = works (proper 1920x1080)
5. Close GEM+.
6. Open GEM+ and start gpl with the 1965 mod with settings from previous step = freeze again
7. Start 1967 carset = freeze
8. Start Thundercars = freeze
9. Disabling/enabling different Ffb patches = still freezes.

So now I can't load anything anymore without a freeze, I'm going to try a gpl and gem+ backup from december last year and see if it than also happens.

Edited by Millennium, Apr 30 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#18 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,178 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 01:48 PM

That is really very strange.
I am running out of ideas. :(

Trying a new installation or a backup installation should be the way to go.

#19 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 01:56 PM

So... I just tried a december 2018 backup of gem+ as well as gpl and after a couple of restarts the same problem starts to occur. Changing stuff like ffb patches does make it start up again once more, but than the problems return after a restart anyway. Also tried using an older backup on a different installation location (different hard drive) same result sadly.

And again fiddling with force feedback strength and patches does get it to work sometimes, but only once and then it becomes corrupted too.

Edited by Millennium, Apr 30 2019 - 02:43 PM.

#20 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,377 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 02:51 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Apr 30 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

The GPL menu screen is always set at 640x480.  This is a 1998 program that has many improvements (!), but the menu screen resolution is one difficult puppy to change.

I'm pretty sure this is the right track for fixing this problem. Some monitors don't handle the switch from native resolution to 640x480 usually resulting in a crash as described.

I'm pretty sure the fix is in the graphics scaling settings > Control Panel > nVidia control pane (for nVidia cards) > shown is what I use.

Attached Files

Edited by Bob Simpson, Apr 30 2019 - 02:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links