Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:music sports car racing astronomy
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 09 2019 - 01:07 AM

Hi all,

Running the new sportscar mod, I'm having wheel de-calibration if i go off track or hit guard rails. I'm trying various cars in the mod. I am even getting de-calibration if I just turn the steering wheel abruptly! I think there should be some damage effect but messing with wheel calibration should not be happening. Its serious enough de-calibration that you have to exit GPL and un-plug and re-plug the wheel  and re-calibrate again in GPL! Some de-calibration episodes are serious enough to require a complete system reboot!! Is a fix for this possible?

Thanks.

PH

Edited by Paul Harwood, Sep 09 2019 - 02:40 PM.

#2 Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted Sep 09 2019 - 02:32 AM

Hi again.

I just tried the 71 can am mod and got de-calibration again! The last de-calib episode using the SC mod required to run a troubleshooter which fixed the problem of the wheel (G25) no longer showing in device properties but required a restart.

This is after 2 shutdown and restarts. Apparently the shutdown and restart, which sometimes takes less time than the 'restart' option for reboots (using Win 10) was not resetting the wheel properly. Talk about strange!

Like running this track with the SC mod, all is ok until something makes the calibration slip, at first just a bit to the right of center then the calibration slips more and more until its mostly un drive-able!

I am also practicing Cadwell Park in F2 this week and am not having any de-calibration issues.

Cheers

PH

Edited by Paul Harwood, Sep 09 2019 - 02:35 AM.

#3 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 09 2019 - 03:04 AM

Paul, have you tried deleting the control.cfg file in your player folder? When you start GPL, another control.cfg will be created.

But as your G25 is de-calibrating while you are driving (or hitting something) it could rather be wheel and not GPL or PC related.

This guy here reports that a cable that was connected to the circuit board was loose on his Logitech G25. After fixing it it was fine again.
See (it is in German): https://forum.virtua...-Dekalibrierung

I'd like to talk about the problem:
After some laps (LFS, rF, ...) of driving the calibration of my steering wheel shifted, funny enough always to the right. Happened especially when counter-steering. If I steered the steering wheel to the right with a fast movement, with a lot of power and high FF, this effect could be adjusted.

Solution:
Because you can hardly break a broken steering wheel: Screw on.
In other words, the hood must be removed. Loosen the lower screws and screw down the steering wheel and the shift paddles in front. Otherwise the hood will not go down.
If you have the hood at the bottom you can see two motors in front of you. One of them - my left one - has a black cover with connected cable at the back. Under this hood sits a small circuit board with an optical angular momentum sensor. Similar to an old mouse with a ball.
Per board, and/or their attachment at the engine, was loose with me.
You could see it clearly when you wiggled the black cover.
You pull - with a force, no fear - the black cap and before the cable (6-pole), not the power cables! - from the motor. Then tighten the two screws in the direction of the motor, I have some curls on it, the cap on it again, the cable on it again.
Assemble everything and DRIVE!

Do again wonderfully and drive like new. Ole Ole!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

And here are instructions how to open the similar wheel G27 (also in German): http://jlvrh.de/G27.htm

Use a translator or you might also find infos in English regarding your problem on google.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Sep 10 2019 - 03:29 AM.

#4 Marx

Marx

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Power & Glory Mod V3.2 for GTR2, Nascar Racing 2003, Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Sep 09 2019 - 07:49 AM

Dear Paul,

I unfortunately had the same problem. In my case it was the steering wheel: it is due to the wheel's design. There is a way to fix it. Stefan's link provide you with useful info. Please check your guarantee period before opening the wheel. The problem is not unique and if still under guarantee the vendor should replace it. I tried to fix it myself, broke something and had to buy a new wheel in the end.......

#5 Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted Sep 09 2019 - 02:38 PM

Thank you for the info, guys! I will monitor the issue and see. I ran several laps at the ring in the Legends mod can am cars which have strong steering forces. I had to really thrash the cars (66 then 71) around before getting very slight de-calibration.

How to move this thread to a tech forum?

Cheers.

PH

Edited by Paul Harwood, Sep 09 2019 - 02:48 PM.

#6 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,046 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Sep 09 2019 - 04:25 PM

Topic moved.

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Sep 09 2019 - 04:32 PM

Yes I suspect too that this is the screw that fixes the calibration wheel inside the black cover (of the motor in bottom right) in the picture.
I did it successfull several times in different wheels ...

But you must not disassemble it so much as in this pic!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Cookie, Sep 09 2019 - 04:41 PM.

#8 Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted Sep 09 2019 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for moving this thread, Ginetto!

And thank you for all the info, guys. Obviously, I will try the easiest fixes first. So I will try replacing the '.cfg' files first.

I just went through a bunch of shifter repair issues but from some replies to that issue, I was warned of possible issues for the wheel and pedals as well, in the not too distant future. I have used the wheel almost daily practicing offline and racing online for +18 months since buying it, so I am not surprised.

Apparently this would be one of the first G25's made.

Cheers.

PH

Edited by Paul Harwood, Sep 09 2019 - 07:29 PM.

#9 Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted Sep 10 2019 - 02:17 AM

Hi all,

Well ... I rebuilt the .cfg file for the SC mod and ran laps around Bottomless Lakes OK in the FordGT MkIV. I then switched back to the Lola. Ran a few more laps and then on one of the esses I got the slight de calibration again. I re-calibrated in GPL and calib was ok again. But at the esses ... calib went off again.

I closed GPL then re-plugged the wheel and switched mods to Can Am 71 at Mosport .... no de calibration issues.

I then ran laps in F2 AT at Cadwell Park ..... no de calibration issues.

WTH ???

PH

#10 Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted Sep 10 2019 - 03:16 AM

I think this guy is a bit strange but he does show the calibration repair at the back of the G25 left FF motor pretty plainly.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7vEe6j8KOxU

I will look for a better disassembly video ...

https://www.youtube....h?v=bCSTOb28Ero

more calib sensor wheel repair videos:

https://www.youtube....h?v=EhYpWAmZVjQ

https://www.youtube....h?v=23ahB-YfkC0

I am posting all this in case it all has to be done for some calibration issues. I don't think my current slight and isolated calibration issue warrants all this yet. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Cheers.

PH

Edited by Paul Harwood, Sep 10 2019 - 04:39 AM.

#11 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 10 2019 - 03:32 AM

View PostPaul Harwood, on Sep 10 2019 - 03:16 AM, said:

I will look for a better disassembly video ...

There are many to choose from:
https://www.youtube....g25 disassembly

Good luck finding the one that helps you and that you can fix it.

:wave:

#12 Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted Sep 10 2019 - 01:50 PM

Thanks Stefan!

That is a nice collection you have posted!

Cheers.

PH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links