• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 12 2020 - 02:01 PM

I've just started using my G27 in GPL and also installed (think it's the Shift-R) where you have to engage the clutch, to change gear. Think it's the Shift-R?

Anyway my question is when I change gear there's a massive pause between gear change until I get back on the gas. I'm letting off slightly of the accelerator pedal when changing, unless I'm top of the range and I then engage clutch (with no lift off) and change straight through.

Is my method wrong and should my gear changes be more fluent & crisp, without a delay?

Thanks all for your help.

TP: 😁

#2 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B (Toy planes)

Posted Sep 13 2020 - 11:46 AM

Do you mean Fairshift?

If so, as far as I know it was developed in part to force a match with the default GPL shift behavior (There is a predetermined delay when using auto clutch with paddles).

Could this be what you are experiencing?

Other programs such as gplshift do not enforce this feature so you can change gear more quickly than when using paddles.

Personally I dont use fairshift I use gplshift. Not for any advantage (changing gear is the least of my problems).

TTFN
John

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,827 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 13 2020 - 12:26 PM

Hi Snafu

I'm sure it's GPL shift I'm using and not fair shift. Not sure though so at some point I'll have to double check.

I think my problem is lack of wheel, pedals with realistic clutch in sim racing. Therefore my technique and the way I'm doing it. I think I just need a little correction.

So for example let's say I'm buzzing along a straight in 3rd gear, ready to gear up to 4th. What I do is fully let of acceleration, depress clutch, change to 4th, then disengage clutch pedal and back onto acceleration pedal. I try to do this procedure quickly but fluently. It just seems between let off of gas and depression of clutch there's a long lag and therefore I'm losing time.

Should I go right to the top of the 3rd gear range, keeping the gas on or slightly on, then depress the clutch pedal, change gear and continue my drive. I just think that without lifting off the gas, I'm going to over rev, miss gears and even blow the engine.

Thanks 👍

TP:

#4 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 13 2020 - 01:03 PM

my apologies for intruding a bit of historical/technical data

Edited by jgf, Sep 13 2020 - 06:39 PM.

#5 Saiph

Saiph

Still driving 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,211 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Sep 13 2020 - 01:03 PM

Have you set up your controllers properly, so that GPL properly recognises your throttle, brake and clutch as separate controls? And are the pedals calibrated correctly? If you're using your two feet to control the throttle and clutch, there's no reason why there should be any delay between lifting the throttle and pushing the clutch in. When I'm accelerating using my G27 and pedals, I can shift gears very quickly - there's definitely no "lag" that I can detect.

Just to confirm, the upshift sequence should be:
(1) Simultaneously lift off the throttle and fully depress the clutch. (No delay between them.)
(2) Move the gear lever from 3rd to 4th.
(3) Start to smoothly re-apply throttle, but not all at once. If your engine over-revs too much here, use the throttle more gently, and go to step (4) more quickly.
(4) While applying throttle, smoothly release the clutch.
(5) Smoothly push the throttle to fully down.

If you don't lift the the throttle during an upshift, you'll do what is known as a "speedshift". It sounds awful, and if you have realistic damage settings on, you will put a strain on the engine by over-revving it and possibly blow it.

(jgf I'm sorry but your post simply makes things too complicated and doesn't help at all. It sounds like Twinpotter is learning to use the pedals for the first time, so to keep things simple we should help him to drive as if he's driving a road car with a manual gearbox, and using the clutch for all gearshifts.)

Edited by Saiph, Sep 13 2020 - 01:10 PM.

#6 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,827 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 14 2020 - 03:06 AM

Thanks all for your info & advice. It's really appreciated 👍

Saiph I've just calibrated my G27 as normal in GPL. I'm unsure if there is anything else I can do there. I have a Logitech profiler too and I've assigned a profile there for the GPL game. I'm also sure, in the profiler, that I've got separate axis assigned for each pedals too. But again I think I'm obviously  missing something here, or that maybe there should be something else to try in the Logitech profiler? I will have to double check my settings.

As for the driving I'm sure I'm doing what you say. So therefore off gas, engage clutch pedal, switch gear and then back on throttle (carefully) as I'm releasing and disengaging the clutch pedal. I still feel though that there's too much of a gap and even though I'm trying to be super quick and fluent, Its just not happening. I just don't know, maybe it's my technique of not doing it correctly, or maybe it's something to do with my G27 settings. I just don't know?

I'm pretty busy at present but when I get a chance, I'm going to get my Fraps programme running and try record a lap, then upload here, to see what you all think. I'll try to get this clip done and add it into this thread. But if this item fall's of the board, by the time I do the clip, I'll open a new thread on SRMZ, along with my clip and also with a link back to the subject matter here.

Anyway thank you all again 😁👍

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 14 2020 - 03:20 AM.

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

60fps GPL

Posted Sep 14 2020 - 11:33 AM

If you want to make a more nonlinear clutch, brake ot throttle you should use DXTweak2 ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links