• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostLarko29, on Feb 06 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Rob

Does the GPL Alpha of this track still exist somewhere?

From the old Tasman site or maybe RSC I can remember there being some clipping issues, that were trying to be overcome

Craig

Hi Craig,

Were you on the original team then or do you just have a good memory? :) I have the alpha that Monza Gorilla passed on to me with the consent of the original team who had all moved on from GPL by that point. To me, the layout they had seems pretty good and gives the right sorts of times in the right sorts of cars, although it might be a touch too quick, but then so is GPL at most tracks by around 4% IIRC. ;)

You are right about the clipping. The interesting thing about inheriting the project is that I got lots of experimental files from them of ways they tried to stop the viaduct from clipping by making it in various different ways. As a student of track making that is very interesting to see, although given all the things that they tried already, it is maybe not so obvious what to try next to fix it. :think: In some ways it is often easiest to just restart a project rather than trying to pick it up where someone else left off, although given all of the work already put into this one that would be a shame.

Having got Surfers Paradise finished, I had hoped it would kick start a programme to get the remaining "missing" Tasman tracks completed. I have alphas for all four remaining missing tracks in fact, including Warwick Farm. :) The problem is that after finishing Surfers there was a certain amount of burnout and since then, despite best intentions I have had very little free time to get stuck into any of those four, (or indeed another two or three) ongoing track projects. It remains my intention that eventually all of these projects will be completed, if only that I have enough personal investment already in these projects that I don't want to go to waste. Just need to get some free time...

Rob

#17 Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:GTR2, rFactor, BTB, and (thanks to the GPLEA) GPL!
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 02:31 PM

Great news, Rob! Thanks for that perspective. I can appreciate how the intensity of track building (and problem solving) can lead to burnout. I only spent a few hundred hours in 2007 using the development version(s) of BTB to construct alphas of fictional circuits based on the real streets of Caribbean island capitals, and burned out just as the scenery-building features of BTB were coming into maturity. I keep thinking I'll renew my BTB license and get back up to speed, but I haven't done it yet... And I only came close to beta versions with two of my circuits: Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe, and Kingston, Jamaica. People who drove them told me they were great, but I never got beyond rudimentary trackside details. Don't know anything (yet) about using the "serious" tools of the track builder.

Good luck with finding that free time...

#18 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Feb 07 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

View PostLarko29, on Feb 06 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Rob

Does the GPL Alpha of this track still exist somewhere?

From the old Tasman site or maybe RSC I can remember there being some clipping issues, that were trying to be overcome

Craig

Hi Craig,

Were you on the original team then or do you just have a good memory? :) I have the alpha that Monza Gorilla passed on to me with the consent of the original team who had all moved on from GPL by that point. To me, the layout they had seems pretty good and gives the right sorts of times in the right sorts of cars, although it might be a touch too quick, but then so is GPL at most tracks by around 4% IIRC. ;)

You are right about the clipping. The interesting thing about inheriting the project is that I got lots of experimental files from them of ways they tried to stop the viaduct from clipping by making it in various different ways. As a student of track making that is very interesting to see, although given all the things that they tried already, it is maybe not so obvious what to try next to fix it. :think: In some ways it is often easiest to just restart a project rather than trying to pick it up where someone else left off, although given all of the work already put into this one that would be a shame.

Having got Surfers Paradise finished, I had hoped it would kick start a programme to get the remaining "missing" Tasman tracks completed. I have alphas for all four remaining missing tracks in fact, including Warwick Farm. :) The problem is that after finishing Surfers there was a certain amount of burnout and since then, despite best intentions I have had very little free time to get stuck into any of those four, (or indeed another two or three) ongoing track projects. It remains my intention that eventually all of these projects will be completed, if only that I have enough personal investment already in these projects that I don't want to go to waste. Just need to get some free time...

Rob

Hi Rob

No just can remember reading about it on the old Tasman site which had some screenshots of the WIP progress for the circuit.

If you ever get the motivation to complete the Tasman projects I'd love to be involved. :hat-tip:

Craig

#19 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 08 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostLarko29, on Feb 07 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

If you ever get the motivation to complete the Tasman projects I'd love to be involved. :hat-tip:
Craig

I would love to be involved again too Rob, just ignore the fact that my contributions are usually quite small :o  Larko wouldn't mind working with me, I used to let him beat me in our league races on a regular basis :P

Edited by Burnsy865, Feb 08 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#20 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yup, I already have in mind to get you guys involved once I have something for you to look at and work on. :)

Rob

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links