- - - - -

Grand Prix Legends 15 Years Old This Month ?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 22 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thank you :)

#32 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Sep 23 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm working full time again now so not driving so much. I find that I'm quite quick with the Can-am and Thunder Cars but I am unable to get near ranking with the 1967 mod. I'll have to get more practice I think. Does anybody else find this?

Edited by Andy Clegg, Sep 23 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#33 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Sep 23 2013 - 02:19 PM

Andy,

I did not drove the 1967 F1s for about 4 or 5 years, mainly busy with the mods and administrating a GPL league. When I went back to them, it took me about 6 months to be close to my old laptimes (PBs), and about a year to improve some of them. In a way, I think that 2 things helped: practice and having driven the mods, specially the 1965 F1s and the 1966 F1s.
btw, I am working with the mods and I am also administrating that league ;)

#34 rodnet

rodnet

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Sep 24 2013 - 02:19 AM

How time flies...I bought GPL when it came out in the Netherlands, somewhere around november 1998. I immediately bought a 3DFX card as well to enjoy the graphics and since then until 2003 upgraded my computers and videocards on a regular basis, only to be able to enjoy GPL even more. I was a student at the GPL Driving School, finally overcoming some of my lack of talent through the teachings of Jim Pearson, I visited the Goodwood Festival of Speed where the famous hillclimb was recreated for GPL and then other hobbies (and business woes) became more important in my life. I still enjoy following the community but it must be five years since I last did a lap.

#35 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts

Posted Sep 24 2013 - 09:55 AM

Does this make sense then?. A quick lap in the Can-am Mclaren M8F which is quite a large car compared to a 1967 car. Therefore a lap in the '67 car would be a lot easier to drive so should be almost as quick. In other words, if I'm quick in a Can-am car then I should almost be as quick in a '67 car.

#36 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Sep 24 2013 - 11:57 AM

Not necessarily so as the car while being wider also has loads more grip and some of the mistakes you can make can be made up with power, say missing an apex, running wide or being in the wrong gear. Depending on the track, I'd say a CA'71 should be faster than a '67 F1 almost always when driven by the same drive with the same target.

I don't quite remember the first time I heard about GPL, most likely read about it in some gaming rag or other. But I do remember the first time I, well, heard "about" GPL. Quite literally actually. I was talking to a friend on the phone and he had just installed GPL, so my first experience with GPL was the sound - and it struck a chord. I had to see it, hear and eventually have it. That must have been around the time it was released over here. No idea on dates... At that time I had been through a number of racing and other computer games already, my current 'nick' was, at the time of release, already in use for 6-7 years. And it wasn't my first either ;). Ahh good times, still have a disk with RVF Honda on the Amiga with a records I have not been able to crack since (It's only 24 years now...)

#37 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts

Posted Sep 25 2013 - 05:02 AM

Thanks Sky, I'll get back to driving  the '67 cars. My aim was to get a rank for the 67's by the end of the year.

#38 Marx

Marx

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 25 2013 - 09:35 AM

Got my first GPL Demo with the Nascar Racing 2 version in 1998. Impossible to drive on my laptop, it looked like a slide show. The demo had the Watkins Glen circuit included. I tried a few meters to get out of the pits using the key board and spinned all over the place. So I gave up. In 1999 I purchased my own full copy, bought me a steering wheel and installed it on my desk top at home. Got interested in the RSC site, the GPL reference site at the time, and visited the site and its forums on almost a daily basis. That is how GPL started to grow on me: all the exciting new releases of tracks, cars, utilities. Never was a real good driver and I do admit I spent more time in collecting GPL add-ons, releases and utilities and properly installing and configuring them, then I spent time racing. And that is still the case today. I almost daily visit the GPL Mirror Zone. I still race occasionally.

#39 RacerBG

RacerBG

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Old (classic) racing games.

Posted Sep 27 2013 - 12:35 PM

Well 15 years are 15 years.

Happy Birthday To GPL!

I started playing GPL around 2010 but Im not a good driver at all. :D Anyway for a keyboard user Im fine. :Meter:

#40 TurboMan

TurboMan

Jim Clark - Gilles Villeneuve - Tazio Nuvolari

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTR2, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 28 2013 - 03:50 AM

View PostRacerBG, on Sep 27 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Well 15 years are 15 years.

Happy Birthday To GPL!

I started playing GPL around 2010 but Im not a good driver at all. :D Anyway for a keyboard user Im fine. :Meter:

Haha :D when i'm out my home i also have to use with keyboard cause i can't carry my wheel. Anyway, if you have the chance, get a wheel, highly recommended :thumbup:

#41 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted Sep 28 2013 - 04:18 AM

My brother had a beta version of the game installed, in mid-1998.  As soon as I tried it, it became obvious this was a serious attempt at the real thing!  Framerate was terrible, so the cars felt like they were driving on ice, but I was hooked.  Over the years, driveability has continued to improve, and the Sim continues to get better and better. :)

#42 David Wright Lo67

David Wright Lo67

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL and P&G

Posted Sep 28 2013 - 05:57 AM

Alison Hyne's old site reported things "as they happened".  It would seem, US gpl fans can celebrate the 15th birthday of GPLs release on 1st October and European fans on the 10th.

#43 Lalethor

Lalethor

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 270 posts

Posted Sep 28 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostDavid Wright Lo67, on Sep 28 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Alison Hyne's old site reported things "as they happened".  It would seem, US gpl fans can celebrate the 15th birthday of GPLs release on 1st October and European fans on the 10th.

usual discrimination :lol2:  :lol:

Edited by Lalethor, Sep 28 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#44 PHI52

PHI52

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted Sep 28 2013 - 12:29 PM

happy birthday GPL ... and long life :partytime: :balloons: :cakeanim2:

#45 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Sep 28 2013 - 03:45 PM

Well, whenever the birthday is..............Long live the king!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links