• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 25 2010 - 05:14 AM

I have noticed that in the setup menu I can alter the final drive ratio but not the individual gear ratios.  All the other buttons on the setup page seem to work except the ones for gear ratio.  The buttons are not greyed out.  Is this normal?  Also, I have never found an instruction sheet for P&G so I don't know how some thing are done, for instance, pit stops.  Is there an FAQ list or similar somewhere?

#2 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 25 2010 - 09:59 AM

This is normal, and realistic.  You adjust the final drive ratio so the engine doesn't quite redline in top gear at the end of the longest straight (and on a few tracks you may not have a tall enough gear to do that).  The individual gears may not be optimal for the track, but in the vast majority of real cars it's much easier to pull a cover and change two gears in the rear end than to remove and tear down the gearbox to replace numerous gears.

Pit stops, weather, etc., are handled as in default GTR2, so check the data for that.  But there is no pit lane speed limit in P&G (except common sense).

Edited by jgf, Jun 25 2010 - 10:02 AM.

#3 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted Jun 25 2010 - 01:03 PM

View Postjgf, on Jun 25 2010 - 09:59 AM, said:

This is normal, and realistic.  You adjust the final drive ratio so the engine doesn't quite redline in top gear at the end of the longest straight (and on a few tracks you may not have a tall enough gear to do that).  The individual gears may not be optimal for the track, but in the vast majority of real cars it's much easier to pull a cover and change two gears in the rear end than to remove and tear down the gearbox to replace numerous gears.

Pit stops, weather, etc., are handled as in default GTR2, so check the data for that.  But there is no pit lane speed limit in P&G (except common sense).
Thanks for clearing that up.  I suppose I am too accustomed to GPL where it is easy to change individual gear ratios.

#4 DucFreak

DucFreak

GTLW - Sound Designer

• GTLW Crew
  • 121 posts
  • Sim interest:P&G for GTR2

Posted Jun 29 2010 - 04:16 PM

View Postbenzman, on Jun 25 2010 - 01:03 PM, said:

View Postjgf, on Jun 25 2010 - 09:59 AM, said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  I suppose I am too accustomed to GPL where it is easy to change individual gear ratios.

Note that some cars will allow independent gear ratios changes.

This is obviously just dependent -and reflecting- what the real counterparts used for that. :)

#5 HR186S

HR186S

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Sim interest:P&G for GTR2

Posted Jun 29 2010 - 08:32 PM

Since P&G uses GTR2 as its base, the pitstop sequence is the same. What are you having problems with?

#6 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted Aug 07 2010 - 06:10 PM

View PostHR186S, on Jun 29 2010 - 08:32 PM, said:

Since P&G uses GTR2 as its base, the pitstop sequence is the same. What are you having problems with?
Sorry for the long delay.  I had not noticed your posting.

I have set a button on my G25 for 'pit in request' but it it doesn't seem to do anything.  How do you know if your request has been acknowledged and how do you know when to come in?  I have found some postings on what to do when you are in the pits but not a lot else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links