Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Family, sim racing, golf
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 25 2013 - 04:15 PM

Is there any way to change the view of the track when sitting in the drives seat.  Normal view doesn't seem to give me that much advance view of the track. If possible would like to correct that by moving the view forward and up.  Hope this makes some sense. Hate to admit it but now using the arcade view.
Thanks in advance

#2 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Mar 25 2013 - 04:19 PM

You can use gplshift to do that.
Should be here around somewhere stuck behind the forum search ;)

#3 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Mar 25 2013 - 08:09 PM

Thanks alot Mech.  I thought that gplshift might have been the tool that I was looking for.  Me wanting this might have something to do with me being 65 and playing GPL since it first came out.
Thanks again. I hope that i can now figure it out!

#4 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,383 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Mar 26 2013 - 02:03 PM

Beside the FOV ( field of view) You can also change the POV (point of view) with GPLSA.

Attached File  GPLSA.zip   73.31K   79 downloads

#5 1967driver

1967driver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Mar 27 2013 - 02:11 AM

You can also use others external view by setting drivingView=xx (xx=12 for rollbar) in your player.ini.
Here you can find other info: http://home.online.n...racing/gpl/faq/

#6 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Mar 27 2013 - 12:36 PM

1967 driver   Thanks for the information, but could you give me an idea on what needs to be changed and to what number to be able to view the track better.

#7 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Mar 27 2013 - 12:48 PM

Changing to roll bar view didn't give me what I'm looking for.  Beginning to think that changing to give me a better view of the track, but still be in the cockpit view isn't possible???

#8 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Mar 27 2013 - 12:57 PM

GPLSA allows you to fairly quickly adjust up/down forward/back and sideways.
FOVed allows you to set the field-of-view in degrees.
You can easily experiment with these two once you get used to them.
Anytime you make these kinds of adjustments to your car file make sure you delete the respective GEM+ EXE so it will build a new one when you open Grand Prix Legends. Otherwise, your changes will not show up. If you do not use GEM+ this is not an issue. Also, these utilties may only work with 67s.

If you change to a different car camera, such as 12 (roll bar), you can then modify its view using CarCamEdit...but using any view except default driver view means no mirrors or pit board.

For a long time I went with camera 12 and CarCamEdit, but lately I like having mirrors, so its back to GPLSA and FOVed.

Note changing driver view will likely make all your prior setups obsolete. Also, some details on setting driver view are available on the last page of the thread linked in my signature, "V. R. Metaphysical Aesthetics."

Edited by John Woods, Mar 27 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#9 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Mar 27 2013 - 01:00 PM

GPLSA did it for me.
Thanks

#10 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,383 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Mar 27 2013 - 01:44 PM

You are welcome.

#11 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,561 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 29 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Mar 27 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

GPLSA allows you to fairly quickly adjust up/down forward/back and sideways.
FOVed allows you to set the field-of-view in degrees.
You can easily experiment with these two once you get used to them.
Anytime you make these kinds of adjustments to your car file make sure you delete the respective GEM+ EXE so it will build a new one when you open Grand Prix Legends. Otherwise, your changes will not show up. If you do not use GEM+ this is not an issue. Also, these utilties may only work with 67s.

If you change to a different car camera, such as 12 (roll bar), you can then modify its view using CarCamEdit...but using any view except default driver view means no mirrors or pit board.

For a long time I went with camera 12 and CarCamEdit, but lately I like having mirrors, so its back to GPLSA and FOVed.

Note changing driver view will likely make all your prior setups obsolete. Also, some details on setting driver view are available on the last page of the thread linked in my signature, "V. R. Metaphysical Aesthetics."

Good grief John!! Kind of arcade no?

#12 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 05:33 PM

Ok is there anyway to shorten the distance of the view from behind that you get using the arcade?

#13 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,336 posts

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Mar 27 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Using CarCamEdit should edit the view to any FOV and position that you like.

http://community.for...erworld/3d/797/

However, for immersion and to experience the view that the drivers of the day saw, I'd recommend getting used to the in-car view.  You just have to memorize the track a little better and learn to anticipate what's coming up.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Mar 31 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#14 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hi John and thanks for the insight.  At 65 I find it a little difficult to use the in car view.  I tryed downloading the carcameditor.  Do I download Version 1.011 first than Version 2zip?  When I click on carcam symbol the following comes up.  Compoet comdlg32.oc is not correctly reqistered   a file is missing or ivalid..
When I try to download Version 2 a error comes up.
Can you help in giving me  step by step instructions.  Would love to at least give this a go.
Still plan to keep trying the incar view.
Example of times that I have been getting at Watkins Glen.  All cars in the 10550 range.
Thanks again
Frank

#15 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 02:32 AM

Do a search online for the comdlg32.ocx and drop it in your windows system directory.
It might solve the problem or give a new error message reporting another dll file missing.
In that case repeat the procedure.

#16 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,510 posts

Posted Apr 02 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Mar 29 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Good grief John!! Kind of arcade no?

Ahh...No.
JMO of course, the default driver view unmodified is entirely unrealistic and cartoonishly stretched out with way too much view of the cockpit. No way to get a realistic view...but a better view, (of course its a matter of opinion), is possible. Creating an accurate view by sync'g the display to the user's view of it is surely accepted as critical in any video game or sim, as noted by the wikipedia info provided in the VRMA thread.

Somewhere it was noted awhile back, by me, that AJ Foyt commented he focused on the track several hundred yards in front because by the time he reacted to what was out there, at the speeds he was traveling, he'd already be there. Think he was concerned about his view of his thighs or the front brake calipers?

Bob S...As noted, I'm now using the default driver view modified with GPLSA and FOVed. About as accurate as possible and show the mirrors, but still no pitboard.

paco, give up on the arcade view altogether. Check out how F1 driver's of the era sat in the car's and where their heads/eyes were located and imagine what their view was and what they were focusing on, then try to replicate that.

In contrast to Pete's opinion, and its just my opinion, the analysis I've presented in the back pages of the VRMA thread yields a very close to historically accurate driver view "looking straight ahead into 2D simulation of 3D space."

It is possible to get close to realistic, but more importantly really is just getting used to what you've got, whatever it is. In contrast to reality, and many other racing sims also, with Grand Prix Legends utilities a user can create a more accurate (in their opinion) driver view that may help them go faster because what they see is tuned to their perception/conception of what they think they would see if the view was "real."

Edited by John Woods, Apr 03 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#17 1967driver

1967driver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Apr 03 2013 - 05:25 AM

I agree all you write, John; can you post a picture of your realistic driver view ?
If anyone is interested, i can post my collection of self-made rollbar view (i like to change my point of view often, and i hate chassis movement in defaul cockpit view).

#18 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,510 posts

Posted Apr 03 2013 - 06:58 AM

I'd only call my driver view close to as good as it can get so far, and my current driver view looks about like many others I've seen posted...POV moved forward and up, basically.
Instead of my driver view, check this pic out. Its Alex Rossi driving the Lotus 49 at Circuit of the Americas, featured in the May issue of Road & Track. What did he see? That's what I'm going with now, or trying to get to.

Attached Files

Edited by John Woods, Apr 03 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#19 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,561 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Apr 03 2013 - 08:39 AM

John.........No matter what you think of the default view. It's way way more realistic than the rollbar view you used. That's pure arcade!

I use the default view, and I see nothing wrong with it. You have to keep in mind that we can't look around the cockpit like you can in real life. Unless you have TrackIR. If it shows a little more than real life in a frozen head position. It doesn't show anywhere near as much as you can when looking around in real life. I feel like I can't see enough with the default view. I can't see the gearshift on some cars as an example. That would be pretty easy to do in real life with a simple movement of the eyes. We can turn our head to look at the mirrors, so we need to sit back until we can.

You had no mirrors in the rollbar view. How can you race like that? You had no tach? Unbelievable to me. I look at the tach for every shift.

The default view is fine. Just get used to it.

#20 1967driver

1967driver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Apr 03 2013 - 09:31 AM

This is my best interpretation of a driver view (16:9 40" TV in front at my steering wheel).

@ Pete: default in-car view is wrong because driver is rigidly linked to chassis (that should be stopped against our eyes); you should not view cockpit movement, correct view is one in replay.
I ever race with a rollbar view modified, and it's not a problem to do this without mirrors: Pribluda and engines sound give me a good feeling to know where is a driver near my car.

Attached Files

Edited by 1967driver, Apr 03 2013 - 09:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links