• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 15 2020 - 02:04 PM

Know it's not GPL related, but I wonder if anybody can help and advise. Here are the details:

I think that I've done a silly thing, pretending to know what I'm doing.

I have a HP Laptop on Windows 8/8.1 64 bit  with Amd Radeon 8330 graphics. Not used it for a long time, so I opened it up and all was working great.

But I wanted to make sure things like Windows Updates were up to date so I did that, amongst other tweaks. Then I decided to check my Amd drivers and went to the website downloading a Amd console for Windows 8.1. Installed this and the console started and analysed my pc. It then came back with a list of recommended updates and to install to activate a restart.
After doing so my laptop restarted. It now starts with the HP intro logo and egg timer. But doesn't go to my log in screen, to then get me to my desktop. All I have is a dark grey screen, as if it's at the log screen, but no image.

I've tried to boot into safe mode, to roll back and system restore, but it won't go there. Pressing shift plus F8 and F8 on its own does no good. That's what I researched online to press for safe mode. Somebody said that the safe mode in Windows 8 as been disabled. I don't know?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

TP:

#2 tdurrett

tdurrett

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted May 15 2020 - 04:05 PM

Start at the beginning...reboot and watch the screen for the command to go into CMOS .  Accept CMOS without changes and exit... this is when you type F8 or F12 to go to safe mode

If you get to safe mode the graphics will be base 640 x 480.  Enter Graphics in Windows System and have it recognize the Radeon graphics and change to your standard graphic. It should be rebooted to check it.

#3 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted May 15 2020 - 04:19 PM

You have changed users ?

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,789 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted May 15 2020 - 04:20 PM

Thanks tdurrett for your advice and info.

Just before seeing your reply, I tried again and managed to get into safe mode and the diagnostic centre.
It was start and mash escape, not F8. Now (this moment) doing a system restore. Which is a time after my critical Windows updates and before my stupid attempt at upgrading Radeon graphics.

Even though I will check for Windows updates again, just in case. I'm now sat here watching the system restore do its thing and hoping afterwards it goes to my log in section and then my desktop.
If not there is another restore point a few hours before. But again I'm hoping it rolls back the amd drivers 🤔😠

Thanks again 👍

I'll post back here if successful 🤞

Oh hi Paul. No not changed users.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, May 15 2020 - 04:21 PM.

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,789 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted May 16 2020 - 03:29 AM

No joy with the system restore. I tried the 2 restore points (all I had) and now I get a Windows error ox8007051a.

Which states online in basic terms: The "0x8007051a" error is commonly caused by incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in the Windows registry. This error may be fixed with special software that repairs the registry and tunes up system settings to restore stability.

So it's looking like a fresh install. I have 2 options. Fresh restore (keep some files) Fresh restore (lose most files) and start from the beginning. I'm not sure, but I think the first option will bring back the broken registry? The second I'm not sure about the outcome too. I'm also unsure on a fresh install too. Do I need a clone of my OS on a disc or usb (which I don't have) or does it recover my original system and files from a recovery partition 🤔 I noticed when it was working there was a drive called recovery?

Another option I'm looking at and have been informed about, is the Windows 10 media tool, where you download and create an ISO. Can you still get this and do you have to pay for a product key of some kind, for me to go from Windows 8 to Windows 10?

Anyway lessons learnt here and all part of the education. Grrr 😠😠

TP: 😬🤭😢😭☹️

Edited by twinpotter, May 16 2020 - 03:38 AM.

#6 Markus_Gras

Markus_Gras

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:hiking, mountains, photography, social sciences

Posted May 16 2020 - 03:50 AM

You still can get the media tool to install or repair Windows. For doing so you do not need a key. You might need a key for registering your Windows version after you do a fresh install.
But in your case, best would be to use the media tool for windows 8, at least if you want to stay with windows 8:
https://www.microsof...oad/windows8ISO

You have to create a boot-able USB stick and change the boot priority so that your computer tries to boot from USB-stick before booting from your hard disk. With the media tool you also have some repair options. However, from my experience these repair options rarely work. But with the mediatool you can also do a freash windows 8 install. I guess it should keep your windows key this way.

If you want to save your personal data beforehand I suggest to create a linux boot-able usb-stick. You can start linux from USB and then you can browse your files like you are used to in Windows. So you can copy paste everything you might need later to an external hard drive.
You can find a Linux Mint iso file for creating a boot-able USB-Stick here:
https://linuxmint.com/download.php

If you have trouble creating a bootable-usb stick check here:
https://linuxmint-in...atest/burn.html

Hope these options can help you.

Edited by Markus_Gras, May 16 2020 - 03:56 AM.

#7 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted May 16 2020 - 04:07 AM

Then I decided to check my Amd drivers and went to the website downloading a Amd console for Windows 8.1. Installed this and the console started and analysed my pc.
What exactly did you download? I've been using AMD gpu drivers since forever, but I never had to download something that analysed my system.

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,789 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted May 16 2020 - 04:27 AM

Thanks Markus for all the relevant info, links and your time. Lots to think about here. Just need to get my head around it all and get started.

Millennium I went to https://www.amd.com/en/support
Downloaded tool for Windows 8.1 64 bit. First I downloaded one and it stated the app was incompatible with my system. Until I found the Windows 8 version.
Anyway the damage is done now and a massive lesson learnt. Grrr😠

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, May 16 2020 - 04:27 AM.

#9 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted May 16 2020 - 04:45 AM

I don't blame you, the way AMD presents their drivers sucks big time if you're not very familair with them.
Also had to find it out the hard way that the prefered method to update the drivers is to do it as manually as possible. (Even updating trough the Radeon app drivers themselves can give trouble)

Just in case you're going for a fresh install, is there any reason in particulair why you would want to stick to Windows 8.1?
I'm very sure the W 8.1 product key will also work for a new Windows 10 install.

Edited by Millennium, May 16 2020 - 04:46 AM.

#10 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,789 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted May 16 2020 - 06:00 AM

I've been contemplating 10 🤔🤔

I don't understand the product key thing. Last time I reinstalled a system it was an old Vista and I did it with the supplied from new recovery discs. Do you buy another key or is it on a sticker on the laptop 🤔 Oh my head 😂😂😭😭🥃🥃

TP:

#11 Markus_Gras

Markus_Gras

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:hiking, mountains, photography, social sciences

Posted May 16 2020 - 06:38 AM

I am not using Windows anymore for data privacy reasons. That is why I am not up to date with regards to the product key issues at the moment. But here is what I know:

Firstly, even if you do not have a key for Windows 10 you still can install Win10. In this case you cannot activate it and you won't have all the features of Windows 10. However, you still can purchase a Windows10 key somewhere and activate Win10 later.

I also read that it still should be possible to update from Windows 8 to Windows 10 without purchasing a new key. It was said that the old Windows 8 key would still work to activate Windows 10.

If you already use a Microsoft account then your Windows keys should be registered via your account. So you can just install Windows 10 and log in with your Microsoft account. Your old Win8 key should then activate your new Windows 10 installation.

Otherwise your Win8 key is sometimes written on a sticker at the bottom of your notebook (if you purchased your notebook with Windows 8 together) or you even might have a Windows8 installation CD. The key might be written on the CD or a Windows manual which was once distributed with the CD.

If nothing of this applies for you, you still can test Windows 10 without activating it.
I also read that another possibility to get to know your Win8 key is to use a tool such as LicenceCrawler. This tool is said to be able to read your Win8 key from the Windows-registry. And it is also said to work from a USB stick.

Edited by Markus_Gras, May 16 2020 - 07:22 AM.

#12 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted May 16 2020 - 09:22 AM

View Posttwinpotter, on May 16 2020 - 06:00 AM, said:

Do you buy another key or is it on a sticker on the laptop
For a laptop the key might indeed be on a sticker on the back.

Unless you're really worried about the privacy side I would highly recommend using Windows 10.

I was still on Windows 7 untill the very last day when the support dropped in the beginning of this year, but so far I'm very pleased with Windows 10. Just used my W7 key to activate the W10 copy.

#13 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,789 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted May 16 2020 - 05:46 PM

Thanks Markuus for your valuable info.

I'm swaying both ways on sticking with 8, if I can manage to restore a fresh install and save me the headache 🤔
But in the long run I should go to 10, especially if I can activate my Win 8 key?

We shall see in the coming days. Taking it step by step and not running into it. Therefore not checked for a sticker code yet Millennium. Will do in the next few days while working around other projects.

Thank you all for your advice and help. It's really fantastic and helpful. Hopefully I'll be back soon with more news. Hopefully good and not depressing 😂😬🤭

TP:

#14 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,555 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 16 2020 - 07:30 PM

You can still update from Windows 7 AND Windows 8 to Windows 10 by using the Windows 10 Update Assistant.
I recently updated a Windows 7 laptop of a friend to Windows 10.
During the update to W10, you usually will not get asked for the key. But to be on the safe side you should have your kee. If you do not have it anymore use a free tool that can read it from your current Windows version.

#15 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted May 17 2020 - 01:33 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on May 16 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:

You can still update from Windows 7 AND Windows 8 to Windows 10 by using the Windows 10 Update Assistant.
I recently updated a Windows 7 laptop of a friend to Windows 10.
During the update to W10, you usually will not get asked for the key. But to be on the safe side you should have your kee. If you do not have it anymore use a free tool that can read it from your current Windows version.
You can download Produkey free version    https://www.nirsoft....key_viewer.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links