#1 Waylon

Waylon

Jo Siffert

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 05 2012 - 07:11 PM

I have a question regarding the logic of using the old Watkins Glen as opposed to the Glen71 version in the ranking for the 71 CanAm. The statement that follows from the SimRank site refers to Glen71 and I believe it is incorrect,   "that version is not correct in layout and also not very good to actually drive on."  I've raced on the long track perhaps a dozen times throughout the 1970s and early 80's.  While the Glen71 version is not one hundred percent correct in its nuances as I remember them, such as the at the heel of the boot, it as accurate as most GPL tracks that I am familiar with in real life such as Lime Rock and Bridgehampton. They have small errors in camber, width, bumps etcetera but in general are good representations of the layout. I hotlap GPL's Glen71 frequently and find it fine to drive on.

The other thing I notice is that by using the 67 version for CanAm the "all chassis" time reflected for Watkins Glen 71 shows 1.08 seconds when in fact the track being reflected is Watglen not Glen71. Will this inaccuracy eventually be undone or is it permanent?

Waylon

Attached Files

#2 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Oct 05 2012 - 08:10 PM

There was a thread with video on the 71 race, but it looks like the video no longer works.

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8454

I believe the videos showed them racing on what is now the NASCAR version of the track, without the inner loop, chicane thing they added in the 90s.  I think that is what the rank site is referring to.  Since neither is accurate to what they raced, I guess the 67 version, being the better looking track and closer to what the Nascar version is, was chosen. This is just a complete guess on my part.  

Dave

#3 ezechiel47

ezechiel47

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 354 posts

Posted Oct 06 2012 - 04:51 AM

Hi,
I really dont know if the glen71 version is accurate or not.But i like it (with its inaccuracies and bad looking) and prefer racing it with canam71 mod instead of the very good looking glen67. Only my taste.

Good race to all on the track of your choice.

Ez

#4 AndersOE

AndersOE

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Simracing and american cars from the fiftees

Posted Oct 06 2012 - 08:31 AM

There is a tread about the CanAm tracks here.

http://srmz.net/inde...topic=8398&st=0

View PostDr Tooth, on Sep 03 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostJohn Woods, on Sep 03 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

Pretty sure GPL Road Atlanta is Dave Noonan original, not a conversion.
Posted Image

Yes, and the 71Glen is with the boot, the right track is not more than in alfa stage, so we selected the original Glen. And there is a new Donny coming... Posted Image

Dr Tooth

Edited by AndersOE, Oct 06 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#5 Waylon

Waylon

Jo Siffert

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Oct 06 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for your replies. Not being into the historical details it never occurred to me that the short track might have been what was actually used in 1971, especially since SimRank implied that the "inaccuracy" of the Glen71 track layout was why it wasn't used for rank.

The second part of my inquiry in my original post with the attachment still stands.  There must be something wrong with the implementation at SimRank for the "all chassis" screen to show as it does.

Thanks, Waylon

#6 silence

silence

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Oct 06 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostWaylon, on Oct 06 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Thanks for your replies. Not being into the historical details it never occurred to me that the short track might have been what was actually used in 1971, especially since SimRank implied that the "inaccuracy" of the Glen71 track layout was why it wasn't used for rank.

The second part of my inquiry in my original post with the attachment still stands.  There must be something wrong with the implementation at SimRank for the "all chassis" screen to show as it does.

Thanks, Waylon

Hi,

it seems that there're still some confusing about the different versions of Watkins Glen.Below again the two '71 tracklayouts we have in GPL.

The track was rebuilt in 1971, but was not ready in time (with the boot-section) for the CanAm race in july 1971, that's the reason why we have two versions of 1971.The final one with the boot-section and a beta without the boot-section.

The confusing with GPLRank was my fault!I haven't the final glen71 track in my GPL installation, only the proper beta version for the CanAm's and I named this beta track "glen71" in my installation, because I never cared of the other glen71.I didn't think about it as I submit my laptimes.

Sorry, my fault!

silence

Attached Files

#7 Waylon

Waylon

Jo Siffert

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Oct 06 2012 - 02:55 PM

Ah OK, I guess I see what occurred.  I remember seeing a post about renaming a track to Glen71 versus putting a different trackname in the CanAm seasons file. Perhaps using the self service feature at SimRank then going the seasons file route and resubmitting your times would straghten it out.  Not a big deal either way but it's nice to understand.

Waylon

#8 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 02:47 AM

Hmmmm , prefer also the Glen 71 above Watkins Glen 67 .
And regards the looks of 71 , give this one a try ...... not so bad i would say .

:hat-tip:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links