• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostJarhead, on Mar 01 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Hey, two more questions, whats the difference between relative rankings and rankings. Relative rankings show that my rank is: 6420 and just rankings show my rank at: 6341.
That's an interesting question. I had trouble working out which figures you were looking at, then I realised if I click on my GPLRank score (-23.047), and then click on the option which says "Show relative rankings", I see a new list of drivers. In the standard "Show my ranks" view, I'm listed at 2069, but in the "relative rankings" list I'm at 2061. I'm not sure why these numbers should be different. Maybe someone else with more familiarity with the GPLRank site could answer this? If you don't get an answer for this question here Jarhead, you could send an email to the GPLRank admins and ask them directly (admins@gplrank.info).

What does 'relative' mean in 'show my ranks'?
The number shown in the "relative" column lets you know what percentage of other drivers are below you for that particular rank. For example, if only 100 drivers had completed the GPLRank, and you were the best driver, your position would be 1, and your relative percentage would be 100%. If you were the worst driver in that list, your position would be 100, and your percentage would be 0%.

I just can't break the benchmark at Monza, Kylami and Zandvoort. Those are tracks that I mostly drive at.
If you seem to be "stuck" at certain tracks, then it might be a good idea to try looking at other drivers laps at those tracks, to see where they are faster than you, and where you could improve the speed of your driving. You could try downloading the world record lap replays for the tracks - although you would be a lot slower all the way around (like I am!), it could still give you a clue as to where you're losing the most time. Also, it might be that you've reached the best time you can with the particular setup you're using, and you may need to start thinking about making some adjustments to get the car to work better with your particular driving style.

Also, you should bear in mind that driving in GPL is tricky, and it can take many weeks/months/years to really get a feel for how the cars behave. It might be a good idea to give Monza, Kyalami and Zandvoort a rest, and try driving at some of the other tracks instead. This will give you more variety in your driving experience, and will allow you to learn how the cars behave when you're driving through different types of corners.

Edited by Saiph, Mar 01 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#32 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Driving f1 simulators, racing,

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 02:54 AM

Thanks Saiph, you've been really helpful! If nobody posts here about the rankings, I'll email the GPL rank admins in a few days and see what they'll say.

Thanks again, and I'll try some other tracks out, give Monza, Kylami and Zandvoort a rest.  :)

#33 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 08:33 AM

I'm finding this an interesting thread. I'm the same, in that I drive the same circuit all the time. I did wonder if driving other circuits would help my driving, Thanks Saiph.

#34 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Music & Guitar playing
    Hockey, golf, F1 & downhill skiing
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Mar 05 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hi Jarhead, I'm not sure as I can't see any "relative rank" expressed in a position in the list. But two different hcp:s are listed, one for all lap times and another just for lap times during races - but that is obvious. Then a percentage bar expressing "Relative" and my guess is that the value expresses "the percentage you've obtained compared to benchmark all cicuits".

Found you in the rank and added as a buddy as well. In 107% we seem to be at 50/50 reagarding records on the tracks. You have a quicker development than me for sure so I guess you soon will overtake if you keep up that pace... Perhaps I can blame my total absence from any other SIM (or computer game for that matter) and you perhaps have some experience from other SIMs before. But even if I'm of historical age as well ;) I learn and get better so let's see how long I can compete with a youngster like you :).

BTW I still stick to my "plan" before I try to get into some on-line racing and that is to hit the +50 hcp and get through a complete Grand Prix season together with the AI's. Bougt this great game years ago but after some "driving around" back then I didn't reinstalled it until last summer when I found out about all the upgrades and mods. From then I was hooked and now I try to get some hours each week behind the wheel. Great relaxion! Have to get a new shifter though and in Sweden you're not able to buy separate shifters to G25. I liked the shifter driving and are now back at paddles unitil I saved enough to buy a new wheel.

Well, let's keep in touch and don't drive too often so I can keep up... :D

Edited by MickeK, Mar 05 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#35 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Mar 14 2013 - 02:47 AM

Hey MickeK!

Sorry I haven't been around, been busy in college and just broke my braking pedal. :/ It was a deadman's braking point in laguna seca. lol
I haven't even checked out the 107%, what's it about? I've got my dad giving me advices how to drive those rabid beasts! :) He says it's the most realistic simulator he ever tried. Yeah, I've driven a lot of different SIMs. My favorite were NASCAR THUNDER 2004, GP4 and F1 2012 (Which I still drive) and I've probably got more time during the day to drive the GPL, my only obligation being going to college and studying. :)

That's a good plan! Driving on all tracks against the AI's. The game is as you said a great relaxation! :) I've got the logitech formula force ex, it's okay, it gets stuff done :) I'm currently down for driving, so go get some times done! ;)

#36 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Mar 14 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hi Jarhead,

Breaking the braking pedal? That's heavy braking ;). As I told you I broke my G25 shifter and that seems to be a more common thing. Even mounted it down to try a repair but didn't suceed at all :(. Shifting with paddles at the moment but prefer a shifter. Have to adapt though as buying a new unit have to wait. At least I can drive. Without brake is worse...

I have a short break driving right now as I got hooked in personalizing my 67 and 69X cars. So I've dug in those different files and doing a bit work that stealing my after-work-driving-time. Therefore no new records last week and shortly I will spend a week downhill skiing. Perhaps a couple of weeks outside the cock pit will help to continue my climbing down to +50 hcp.

I really like GPL and it's enough to focus on that for me at the moment. Good luck with the pedal!

#37 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 05:51 AM

Yeah, it was as we say in Croatia, a deadman's braking lol. G25 is expensive... Try giving it to a mechanic or something.. I've always used paddles :)

You can personalize cars? wow, I didn't know that. What kinda personalizations do you do? I like sledding more... But where I live, we don't get that much snow, even though this year has been surprisingly well snow-wise. :)

Thanks, I think it should be repaired this week. ;)

#38 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 04:25 AM

In my case I've put name tags on the 67 Historical upgrade cars, put a little swedish flag on and made a helmet of my own. I now do the same (but more tricky) to the 69X Mod cars.

It's a bit tricky as different files have to be converted, edited in some program and replaced. It's discussed in those threads:

67Historical:
http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8925

69X:
http://srmz.net/inde...8934#entry87643

Me and my daughters visited Croatia in 2007 and we did NOT ski ;). Had a great time though, mostly on island Krk.

#39 Miguelito

Miguelito

Harde baas

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 06:46 AM

I've been to Krk (and Istra) too. Beautiful place.

#40 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Mar 22 2013 - 03:22 AM

It looks cool! I repaired my brake and drove again, and broke it again lol. Looks like I'm gonna be buying a g25 or a g27.. which one is better?

Really, you've been to Krk, and Miguelito, you've been to Istra too? I live in Opatija, that's like in the middle of those 2. http://www.monitor.a...ja-Croatia.jpeg This is where I live.  I believe you were here during the summer? How long does it take to come from Sweden to here? like a whole day?  Miguelito, where u from? :)

Edited by Jarhead, Mar 22 2013 - 03:22 AM.

#41 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Mar 22 2013 - 04:39 AM

Hi Jarhead,

Opatija? Then you must have this track:

http://gpltd.bcsims....ers&send=Search

Greetings, Marcel

#42 Miguelito

Miguelito

Harde baas

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted Mar 22 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostJarhead, on Mar 22 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

It looks cool! I repaired my brake and drove again, and broke it again lol. Looks like I'm gonna be buying a g25 or a g27.. which one is better?

Really, you've been to Krk, and Miguelito, you've been to Istra too? I live in Opatija, that's like in the middle of those 2. http://www.monitor.a...ja-Croatia.jpeg This is where I live.  I believe you were here during the summer? How long does it take to come from Sweden to here? like a whole day?  Miguelito, where u from? :)
Yup, pretty sure I drove through Opatija at one time.

I'm from the Netherlands.

#43 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Mar 22 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hi!

Yes, Opatija! I have the track, but I can tell you it's a little bit inaccurate. I live 3 kms from it. I could get the track official plans if anybody could edit the track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links