• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Music & Guitar playing
    Hockey, golf, F1 & downhill skiing
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted May 31 2012 - 10:14 AM

As basic it gets on this subject I guess but I cannot see any FAQ for dummies concerning this.

I recently awoke my GPL and by now I just drive to get better. Traning sessions and short races with the AIs. Let's say that I at the moment limit my question to rank of the otginial 67 season and tracks.

Some of the tracks I know well and some are not that familiar yet. Even if I've done "results" on each track I will probably do a lot better later on when I focus on the track. Right now I spend a lot of time on each track just to get basic skill on each of them. Step 2 in my training will be to run a full GP (with the AIs). So...

It's allways fun to compare with others, especially when you do not race on-line (at least yet) and allways alone. I've found where to register to get rank and I guess its the Export-function that generates a filde to submit. But...

Is it pointless to register for rank if you don't have results (by that I mean results that are acceptable) from all the tracks? If so I wait, otherwise it would be fun to get a rank.

And I'm curious of my present skill. Is a time around 1.08 on the Glen decent?

#2 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,245 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 31 2012 - 10:20 AM

I signed up at GPLRank and submitted my times just as soon as I had done a time at the Rank tracks.  If I remember right, I started out at around +500.  But it's up to you.  I did it that way so that I had nowhere to go but faster.

#3 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted May 31 2012 - 10:50 AM

That's right Bob. Sounds like a reasonable strategy  :duh:

#4 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted May 31 2012 - 11:42 AM

An important benefit to maintaining your rank is being able to track it over time and review your progress.
Some leagues/events require a current rank.
The main benefit of GPLRank, :2c:, is you can use it to help yourself get better as a driver.

#5 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted May 31 2012 - 12:02 PM

And it's done. Had to complete with two laps at the Ring.

So I proudly presents:

GPLRank score = 327.998

At the moment 8169 in World  :oops:

...but getting better  ;)

#6 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted May 31 2012 - 12:07 PM

:thumbup:  :3gears:  :punk:

#7 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted May 31 2012 - 12:51 PM

:clap2:grats, that number should fall pretty soon if you hang in there. Especially on the Ring you can find  loads of time

#8 CraigT

CraigT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    Racing

Posted Jun 01 2012 - 06:17 AM

Congrats on the Rank. I agree, you will find it falls pretty fast, then it will plateau but keep at it because it will fall again. THAT is when it feels really good. Then you will go "green". That's when you friends will start vcalling to see if you're OK because they haven't seen you in a while  :D

#9 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Jun 01 2012 - 09:28 PM

Well said CraigT  ;)

Yeap, it will take a while. I think I did around low 1:08s at the Glen when I got started as well (mind you, I originally started out using a keyboard... you *will* need a wheel with dual-axis pedals to go negative later on).

I think most people, like me, will take about 1/2 to 1 year to get up to speed and go negative on most tracks. I started doing short races against the AI in between hotlapping and it took me about 6 months to get me first F1 win against the default AI. So if you persevere, you'll normally see your GPLRank to around 100 or less within a few months but to go all green, you're in it for the long haul.... As someone once aptly said, GPL doesn't give up its treasures easily.  :P

Good luck,

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Jun 01 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#10 s2173

s2173

Skymole

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Jun 01 2012 - 09:50 PM

I did start from +600... but thats part of the fun, to see how far you can go. I got to green in about one year...but un/fortunately, getting green is not even the beginning... after another half year, I'm at -35... now I gotta get to -40...

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Jun 01 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

you *will* need a wheel with dual-axis pedals to go negative later on).

Or a mouse...  :dont_mention:

#11 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Jun 02 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostCraigT, on Jun 01 2012 - 06:17 AM, said:

Then you will go "green". That's when you friends will start calling to see if you're OK because they haven't seen you in a while  :D

Yes be careful, GPL is addictive  :straight-jacket:

#12 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Jun 02 2012 - 02:10 PM

View Posts2173, on Jun 01 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

I did start from +600... but thats part of the fun, to see how far you can go. I got to green in about one year...but un/fortunately, getting green is not even the beginning... after another half year, I'm at -35... now I gotta get to -40...

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Jun 01 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

you *will* need a wheel with dual-axis pedals to go negative later on).

Or a mouse...  :dont_mention:
The neighbours cat ate the mouse so I had to use a wheel.

Now i'm stuck with piles of cheddar..

#13 saampjes

saampjes

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:drumming, medieval literature

Posted Jun 02 2012 - 03:07 PM

One of the great things of the rank is that it is easy to find a target that’s achievable. (I guess that getting negative is a little too much to ask for at this stage.)  I used to (still do actually) set my goals according to the times of someone that is slightly better than me (so a little better placed at the rank). It is very likely that you already have beaten him at a few tracks, so you need to attack his times at the tracks he’s faster at. The good thing about it is that you have a target. Instead of just driving around till you have bettered your time, you need to achieve a certain time. You learn a lot if your time is 1.28,5 at Zandvoort, you lowered it to 1.28,0 but you can’t settle for that because you need to have a 1.27,7 and have to work for that. I always find it is very satisfying to beat a target, rather than just driving around and accept any time that is better than it was. And when you have beaten your virtual opponent, you have gone up at the rank, you raise your glass and you pick a new opponent…
Like others, I started at a stunning +179, got negative in a stunning year and a half, and years and years  later I am at -35. GPL means a lot of hard work, but the rewards are awesome if you believe in it (though the wife is a non-believer)

Go, go, go!

René

#14 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Jun 07 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thank's all,

I can now see all the benefits of having a rank and so far I moved from +327.998 to +250.526 within a week (and that is NOT a week driving full time) :).

As it's just about 4-5 tracks I've spent some serious time on (rest of the lap times are just to get a record) I guess I can move quickly as long as I establish those more or less unfamiliar tracks with descent times. And the tip about the Ring is fine as it's obvious those seconds are valuable in the total rank.

The approach René suggest seems fine. Find someone to beat and move forward :).

I still don't get how on earth it's possible to drive that much faster (like negative rankers) but that is probably the experience we all have had when comparing lap times at start. At least I beat any friend who try my GPL as they naturally have problems just to stay on track. Among them I'm a Champ!  :thumbup:

#15 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 06:23 AM

6 months later:

Not really opening the thread again but reading my posts half a year ago I'm a little more aware of the subject and felt a need to add new experiences :).

The tip from René was really fun. With the method of selecting the next Scandinavian above me in the ranks I copied their best laps (107% page) next to mine (and Benchmark) into an Excel sheet. Then marking out tracks I'd already beaten them and red colur digits to the lap times I have to do better. Track by track until I'm better all over. That way I exercise every track in regular basis. Then select a new opponent and start over. Rank has fallen to +88 and in small steps I lower it a couple of times a week - from driving a couple of hours a week. So now I'm at least 6526 in the world - 67 season ;). No green tracks yet but a couple very close to.

Doin' this in my three active ranks 67, 69X and 67GT and this way I have my own "leagues" to compete in. At the moment a rank around +50 (67 season) is a goal. At my level you just have to try ignore the very low negative ranks :bowdown2:

The GPL-rank site is in all a very, very nice place to keep up your racing spirit. Thank's for maintaining it who ever you people are! :bravo:

Antoher thing that has been most helpful is the LOR track guides at http://wiki.grandpri...OR_track_guides . Very useful hints of how to handle each track and using them allways results in new lap records. Too much of amateur to adjust the car so very much standard setups (just camber adjustings related to tire temp) but whn I'm better I go for advices about those (in the same documents). BTW is there any document somewhere that in a simple way describes effects of different settings down to each adjustable item? Like "values around that will make the car that-and-that". Or like "Tracks like this demands more of this and this".

Beating the AI´s getting better but not fast enough to be within top 3 yet in the 67 season. As a 69X:er the AIs seems a little more impressed by me, even if I haven't won yet but in a Ford Mirage I've won at Daytona :up:   Yes I know. Those AI's are slower but nice to read the front-page-news after the race.

It is an addict. A nice one. And I do not get tired of this game.

At rank +50 I will start my first Grand Prix 67 season with the AI's (now historical updated as well - great job GS). Some day perhaps some on-line racing. Seems like the ulitmate fun but checking a couple of those leagues out I better get better first. I haven't found any league for rookies like me that are active 2013. Perhaps we'll meet some day.

Micke

Edited by MickeK, Feb 07 2013 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links