#1 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted Jul 16 2004 - 01:07 PM

Hi All,

Just signed up here. You have a great site :thumbup: . I've been racing GPL for about 3 years now in fits and starts but have really got into it in the past 10 months (No league yet though) Since many of you here seem very knowlegable I was hoping you could help me set up an F2 install with a carset. I think I know what to do but a line from Rick's Garage F2 page has got me a little confused, here's the quote:

" You will need the original GPL car dats only in the seven car folders (in the cars/cars67 folder) so if you have newer versions you will need to remove all files except the original car dats in the F2 GPL version.

Install the F2 Euroset, by putting the cars67 folder from that into the GPL/cars folder of your GPL F2
Unzip the four sets of 'fantasy' cars zips into a temporary folder - you should get four folders - F2BRM, F2Eagle, F2 Ferrari and F2 Honda
Inside each of these will be a car folder (brm, eagle, ferrari and murasama)
Just copy or move the four car folders into the GPL/cars/cars67 folder where the seven GPL car folders are.

After installing the Euroset and the 'fantasy' cars there should be about 150 files or more in each of the 7 car folders

This should give you a full set of 'F2' cars - so you can drive any of the seven."

I am not sure what he is saying exactly to do with those folders can anyone clarify?? Also is it possible to have an F2 install that uses the same tracks folder as the standard GPL install so as to save some HD room? I have a lot of tracks now :o .

If there is anything else you can think of that I need to know/do/download or change to use the F2's please let me know. I sure someone here can help me get this sorted.

Thanks so much

(BTW I'm "montoyafan" over on RSC as well)[COLOR=red]

#2 pirenzo

pirenzo

TwoPedalsOneFoot

• Staff Crew
  • 2,091 posts
  • Interests:GPL (of course), rock and progressive/experimental rock.
    Enjoy many motorsports as well as football and a passing interest in a dozen other sports as well.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 16 2004 - 01:17 PM

Montoyafan, this wasn't specifically an "addon" so I moved it to discussion.

The easiest thing to do is create a new folder in your \gpl\cars\ directory called carsF2 or something, and copy and paste the files from your cars67 folder into it.
Then go into each car folder (brabham, brm, cooper etc) and delete everything except the .dat file (named brabham.dat, brm.dat, cooper.dat etc)
Then copy in the new F2 carset files (IIRC you download them as separate cars correct?)

Then you can use GEM+2 to switch to the carset you want :)
The only thing is the new folder you created must have the same number of characters as the usual folder, i.e. carsF2 and F2cars are acceptable, but f2 isn't.

Hope this helps :wave:

(Welcome to GPLMZ btw :thumbup: )

Edited by pirenzo, Jul 16 2004 - 01:42 PM.

#3 Hologram

Hologram

Still racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:wine, women & song

Posted Jul 16 2004 - 01:58 PM

I have had all sorts of problems trying to get the F2 set to work properly!!
I've had it for a while but whilst each car works when installed with the papy cars when I put them all in it crashes. The original (V2.0 ) i think worked alright the one  with only the Lotus Brab and Cooper. The other add ons caused mucho Greif
It would be great if someone sorted this out and did an all in one F2 download.
Though I suppose that the 65 Mod has probably substituted for those of us who used to get around in the narrow wheeled "advanced trainers".
Anyway I still quite like to go for a fang in the AT's helps to keep me smooth I think. :thumbup:

#4 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted Jul 16 2004 - 07:04 PM

Anyone else having this problem as well? Should I wait until it gets sorted? I just decided I might as well go whole hog with GPL if I intend to do it :thumbup:  But I am also known worldwide for stuffing up game installs with addons I don't know what to do with soooooo...........I think I will DL the components and wait to see if anyone else give their input/experiences with the F2 carset.

Thanks for the help so far :wave:

MF

#5 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Climbing, Mountaineering and Armchair Polar Exploration.
    Photography.
    Growing Vegetables.
    Cacti and Alpines (tough survivors).

Posted Nov 30 2004 - 05:41 AM

I would like to find an F2 carset. Recent efforts has only uncovered some dead links.  Any ideas?

Alan

#6 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • Interests:Cars/Antiques/Woodwork/AUDI<br />And his Sweetheart Robin

Posted Nov 30 2004 - 07:17 AM

They're out there just have to dig deeper mate! :lol:
Cheers Quattro  :cheers:
F2

Alan Dickeson F2

F2 Cars

This should get you started! :thumbup:
:wave:

More F2

Edited by Quattro, Nov 30 2004 - 07:40 AM.

#7 raulv

raulv

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted Nov 30 2004 - 07:58 PM

There's something important. Once you have the F2 carset installed, you have to create a player for F2, like "your_name_F2" or something like that. Then, most important, go to the player folder, located in c:\sierra\gpl\players\"your_name_F2" and edit the following entry in your player.ini:

[Personal Information]
driverRating = 2

3 is F1 class, 2 is F2 class (aka Advanced Trainer) and 1 is F3 class (aka Novice Trainer).

Once you're done, you're ready to race against the AI.

AFAIK there are no "horror" stories related to the F2 carset. You can change the carsets with Shutaro's carset changer. Just remember when installing: Copy the cars folders to a new folder you created (probably called carsf2, or whatever), remove everything except the dat files from every folder, and then install the carset. Then, create a new player and edit the player.ini with the information above. You should have no problems with it. Change the carsets with Shutaro's carset changer.

Happy racing.

Edited by raulv, Nov 30 2004 - 08:00 PM.

#8 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Climbing, Mountaineering and Armchair Polar Exploration.
    Photography.
    Growing Vegetables.
    Cacti and Alpines (tough survivors).

Posted Dec 16 2004 - 09:42 AM

Quattro, on Nov 30 2004, 01:17 PM, said:

They're out there just have to dig deeper mate! :lol:
Cheers Quattro  :cheers:
F2

Alan Dickeson F2

F2 Cars

This should get you started! :thumbup:

More F2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Quattro

The first 3 links I've been to and rely on the Euro carset from the GPL Foundry which doesn't seem to exist any more

The last link seems ok but all I get is a CTD with them installed even following raulv's instructions
Alan

Edited by Alan Davies, Dec 16 2004 - 09:44 AM.

#9 FourWheelDrift

FourWheelDrift

How I feel after doing 8m01s at the Ring

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Dec 16 2004 - 10:09 AM

Some CTD's are related to the DAT files. Each new F2 car folder needs the accompanying DAT file from the 67 cars folder, also make sure the DAT file is not set to read only as this can also cause problems.

Here's what I did
I created a new folder called carsf2 made all new folders in it for each make, copied the DAT files in and then all the F2 files. YOu also need to create new sounds, layout and driver ini file which should be with the install. I can't remember what came with the car sets so you may have to copy across files from your main 67 layout/sounds folders.

I have created thus:-

carsf2 - folder which contains all the F2 cars (placed in the cars folder)
With the following in the main GPL folder
sound_carsf2 - F2 sounds
layout_carsf2 - all the menu graphics
driver_carsf2.ini - driver information file

All of the above must have the additional carsf2 at the end matching the folder in which you F2 cars are in.

You then start up Shutaro's carset changer and away you go.

Hope that helps.

#10 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted Dec 16 2004 - 10:20 AM

Sorry I can't be much help to you Alan but if the truth were known here.. I've never wandered a stray from GPL67 F1 cars and I've yet to install my copy of the 65 mod either.
I just downloaded "F2 EuroCarSet 2.1v.zip from
Euro Carset for F2
I've noticed a readme instructions with it & a separate d/l for alternate wheels. The CarSet d/l is 8.8mbs and is this the same one you've got?
I've limited time today but this evening I'll install this and see what my results are for you!
I don't use a carset utility either. Plus the only patch I see for CTD in F2 that I've come across is on the bottom link I gave you "More F2" but I think it's for online racing!
So I'll let you know how I made out this evening with this.
Cheers Quattro :unsure:  :thumbup:

Edited by Quattro, Dec 17 2004 - 12:33 AM.

#11 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted Dec 17 2004 - 12:53 AM

I took a different approach but it worked out mint for me!
I backed up & removed all cars from my "cars67 folder" in game; then extracted my d/l into a new folder. Then named all car folders from that d/l and put then into the empty "cars67 folder" and making sure to put a copy of the original 67 cars dat file into the proper car folder. I didn't bother with the EuroCars  "driver.ini" I used my original 67 driver.ini. Final outcome was everything works mint! :thumbup: Now all I do is swap between car67 folders.
Truth is I think I'll keep this F2 carset  :thumbup: not the same as 67 F1 but still a blast to drive!
Cheers Quattro

Attached Files

#12 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Dec 17 2004 - 10:27 AM

Quattro, on Dec 17 2004, 06:53 AM, said:

I took a different approach but it worked out mint for me!
I backed up & removed all cars from my "cars67 folder" in game; then extracted my d/l

Glad it works for you Walt. There's an even easier solution: Install the 65 mod.

This will install GEM+ as well, and if you then have a six-character folder name (like carsF2) you can just use GEM to do the carset swapping for you. You just choose your F2 player name and attach the carsF2 folder to that - presto!    :)

(And you get the fab 65 cars in the bargain!)   The only thing in F2 which I still do manually is swap out driver.ini files if I want to race F2 against the AI, otherwise there's a good chance at CTD's. But in general, using GEM works fine.  (I got F1 67, 66, 65, F2 and F3 carsets now and use GEM to swap between 'em.)

Oh, and BTW I've made a fix to remove those rather ughly 2D-amateurish-looking purple bars from the Lotus F2 cockpit... posted at rsc, but let me know if you want it.

Regards, Rudy
----------------
GPLRank: -24

#13 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted Dec 17 2004 - 12:38 PM

Hi Rudy :wave: and sure I'll take your fix for the cockpit plz. I've only used the F1 cars in GPL67 then never installed the 65 mod. so I was experimenting on my own with this EuroCarSet to see what the lesser powered cars were like mate! With my luck it normally takes a couple of trys to get things to work for me and I did all this on a 2nd install of my GPL ! So if anyone learns from my methods well fine and dandy but always one to listen to somebody else who can explain things easier then I.
So thanks again for your tips mate .. appreciate it! :thumbup:
Cheers Quattro/Walt :wave:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links