• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 11:35 PM

Thanks TP!

The instructions read as if I would need C++ installed? Does that come with Win 7 Pro or will I need to find/install it?

As for RT:

I think I've already reached its limit, in regards to play value. There are only 5 tracks, total. You have to place 6th or better to advance to the next stage. Not very realistic in that respect. In my opinion there should be a championship season, and if you enter the series, you should be able to go through the race schedule and your race results reflect in your championship standing, but you can continue through the season, as is the case in any of the sims I can recall having pursued in the past/present. Of course, there's the rub: This really isn't a sim, it's much more a game.

I've already tried installing Richard Burns Rally, and it will not launch after installing, regardless of whether I try to run it as Administrator, or via compatibility mode/etc. So, trying RBR again is out. Sometimes Win 7 sucks.

So, I may be looking at one of the newer DiRT rally games/sims that can install/run okay on Win 7. However, I will not be interested in that series either if it does not have realistically handled "seasons" to where you sign up for a season and progress through the entire season and your results fall as they may.

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

Edited by Old Simmer, Sep 03 2017 - 11:35 PM.

#17 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Sep 04 2017 - 12:10 AM

Well pooh. Was getting interested in DiRT 4. Went to the official website to see how much $$/etc. Discovered that only PS4 or XBox is available in the USA!  No PC version??

Wow... so many questions/things to learn before I plunk out $$ on a Rally sim/game. It's late-thirty though... need to shuffle off to bed.

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#18 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 04 2017 - 03:12 AM

PC version can only be found on Steam.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 04 2017 - 03:12 AM.

#19 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 04 2017 - 09:45 AM

That brings up this question: MUST I be "connected" to the internet in order to "play" DiRT 4?  Some of the train simulations require this (some of the Trainz versions, for example). I will NOT purchase ANY game that REQUIRES it to be connected to the internet before one can launch the game and play. That's one of the ways I use a game/sim: As an alternative entertainment if/when the internet is down. (Which is often here.)

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#20 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 04 2017 - 07:10 PM

FWIW:

I successfully installed RBR and my Logitech Momo on an older XP machine I have, and RBR functions/drives okay. I've been driving with it and piddling. Already passed the Basic Rally School (which unlocks the Rally Season) and then headed off to play on the rally circuit.  RBR is as hard as I remembered it. May be a bit too "hard core" for me. Also, the lighting isn't very good. But, it is fun to drive. It will do as I await the prices to come down on one of the newer rally games/sims.

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links