Jump to content


* * * * * 1 votes

Advice On Creating A Car Mod Pack For Gpl?


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 crimsonregency

crimsonregency

    crimsonregency

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California (USA)
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 08 2021 - 12:27 PM

I am currently creating car mods for Assetto Corsa. I haven't been able to find a step-by-step guide to creating cars in GPL, does anyone have a link? I was wondering if I can use the 3d models I have created and put them into GPL as well as AC.

Thanks!

#2 jonny'o

jonny'o

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Andradas, Brasil
  • Interests:GPL,carsets and tracks
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 08 2021 - 03:05 PM

I believe Bob can answer that!

http://srmz.net/inde...=40#entry160626

#3 Royale

Royale

    Denny Hulme

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 09 2021 - 05:08 AM

Do you want to build new cars or make a complete mod with new cars or already existing cars?  What theme?  Give me a hint and then we can go from there...

#4 crimsonregency

crimsonregency

    crimsonregency

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California (USA)
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 11 2021 - 12:54 AM

I was thinking about the 1934 GP Pack I am currently creating for Assetto Corsa.

1934 Auto Union
Album: 1934 GPL
3 images
0 comments


#5 ptmac3

ptmac3

    Monza Gorilla

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:GPL, radio control airplanes, computers, politics, movies, cooking.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 11 2021 - 05:54 AM

Those 1934 cars are gorgeous!

#6 Royale

Royale

    Denny Hulme

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 11 2021 - 06:26 AM

View Postcrimsonregency, on Oct 11 2021 - 12:54 AM, said:

I was thinking about the 1934 GP Pack I am currently creating for Assetto Corsa.

Bottom line up front - GPL does not like to modded :)   GPL mod'ing  includes car creation, car editing and painting, proper physics, endless testing, and then building a mod package so it all works is a large undertaking. It takes a committed team to get it across the finish line as a respectable finished product. You are welcome to join us at the GPL Repository if you want to build on what's already available.

So on cars - There are two ways that I know of -- massive editing of existing 3do's like the '69, 68, and '65 mods or create new 3do's in 3ds max like the sports car mod, the CanAm mods, and the '55 mod. Many have tried importing cars from other mods but with no success. All I know about is the 3dsMax path.

All our cars are built from scratch specifically for GPL. This means no intersecting geometry, no raytracing or real-time shaders, no reflections, shadows or environmental effects. All detail is baked into the car object, which cannot exceed ~ 3500  triangles in resolution or include >1 material / mapping id per object. Otherwise CTD's all day and night. In addition the model requires exporting in unique BSP sections to be recompiled by the GPU at runtime. The key is creating high-resolution 3d models by sub-dividing (or mesh-smoothing) low-resolution geometry. Using procedural subdivision we can render textures with smooth detail and still export the model below 3000 triangles. Optimization requires the base model is first split into component parts, these parts are contained within a selection set labelled 'cutGrp', each object in the cutGrp is "optimized" individually to remove extraneous vertices, the build script is used to apply a "template" for slicing the cutGrp into sections. There are 6 export templates which represent different criteria for the exporter, BSP tree and final draw-order.  Shaun Collins of C3DX built upon the work of Guru, Rory Gibson, LUNA, and the mighty MECH to turn car model production into a viable undertaking.

http://wiki.grandpri...ses-in-Training

-The physics  are a separate issue and are a result of the continuing work by Richard Cooke, Lee, Nigel Pattinson, Rob, and people who have driven race cars or tractors over the last twenty years.

-Putting cars into a GEM+ based mod can best be seen by looking at a mod download and reverse-engineering it. You rename it and go from their with new menu's, cst's,  etc. etc. etc.

Here is where we are with our 34's which again your welcome to be a part of and help lead :)

Attached Files



#7 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Keswick, Ontario, Canada
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Oct 11 2021 - 07:00 AM

Honestly, Royale...  You're such a tease.  :)

#8 Royale

Royale

    Denny Hulme

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 11 2021 - 07:18 AM

As you well know the last 5% is the killer, or was it the tractor reference?   :P

#9 entdgc

entdgc

    David Cheshire

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheshire, England
  • Interests:Porsche, HiFi, GPL, Walking, Gardening, DIY
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 11 2021 - 12:43 PM

View Postcrimsonregency, on Oct 11 2021 - 12:54 AM, said:

I was thinking about the 1934 GP Pack I am currently creating for Assetto Corsa.
Those are GORGEOUS models - excellent work.

#10 tjc

tjc

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland.
  • Interests:Various
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 11 2021 - 12:45 PM

Those 1934 car models are indeed, stunning. B)

Great work crimsonregency.

And yip... you are a tease Bob. :P

#11 Lee200

Lee200

    Denny Hulme

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Football
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 11 2021 - 02:45 PM

View PostRoyale, on Oct 11 2021 - 06:26 AM, said:

All our cars are built from scratch specifically for GPL. This means no intersecting geometry, no raytracing or real-time shaders, no reflections, shadows or environmental effects. All detail is baked into the car object, which cannot exceed ~ 3500  triangles in resolution or include >1 material / mapping id per object. Otherwise CTD's all day and night. In addition the model requires exporting in unique BSP sections to be recompiled by the GPU at runtime. The key is creating high-resolution 3d models by sub-dividing (or mesh-smoothing) low-resolution geometry. Using procedural subdivision we can render textures with smooth detail and still export the model below 3000 triangles. Optimization requires the base model is first split into component parts, these parts are contained within a selection set labelled 'cutGrp', each object in the cutGrp is "optimized" individually to remove extraneous vertices, the build script is used to apply a "template" for slicing the cutGrp into sections. There are 6 export templates which represent different criteria for the exporter, BSP tree and final draw-order.  Shaun Collins of C3DX built upon the work of Guru, Rory Gibson, LUNA, and the mighty MECH to turn car model production into a viable undertaking.

Sounds simple enough.  :bowing: :wshI:

#12 crimsonregency

crimsonregency

    crimsonregency

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California (USA)
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 14 2021 - 02:46 PM

Well.... that doesn't sound very similar to what I am used to. :think: I guess over the course of two decades things got a bit easier.... or at least today's modding makes more sense to me .

I'd love to help, but there is a lot I am going to have to learn along the way.

Edited by crimsonregency, Oct 14 2021 - 02:47 PM.


#13 db312

db312

    Always in the lead

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:switzerland
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 14 2021 - 03:23 PM

Royale, you chose your nickname very well... :P

From this period I always dreamed to drive a Bugatti type35... So, despite my meagre skills, if i can be useful don't hesitate to tell me...

A true admirer :hat-tip:

#14 Art-J

Art-J

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Warsaw, Poland
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 14 2021 - 11:52 PM

View Postcrimsonregency, on Oct 14 2021 - 02:46 PM, said:

Well.... that doesn't sound very similar to what I am used to. :think: I guess over the course of two decades things got a bit easier.... or at least today's modding makes more sense to me .

I'd love to help, but there is a lot I am going to have to learn along the way.

Keep in mind when GPL was released, it was a closed-architecture game not built or meant to be modded in any way (like most other racing games of the era really). So, no software development kit for players, no tools, no nothing. Even when people learned they could add tracks, reshape cars a bit or replace textures, for many years changing physics or even changing number of car slots seemed to be impossible because all these things were (still are) hardcoded in gpl.exe. It took a lot of reverse-engineering / hacking the game code by some software gurus over here to finally make it at least somewhat-moddable, but it's never going to be as friendly as post r-Factor simulators in that regard.

#15 crimsonregency

crimsonregency

    crimsonregency

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California (USA)
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 15 2021 - 12:18 AM

So my company, Casual Sim Studios, has myself and two others who work to produce mods. I will approach the team and see if they are interested in directing some resources towards GPL. But even if they aren't, I am totally down to learn how to "reverse engineer" this game and get some 1934 GP cars running in Grand Prix Legends.

#16 PTRACER

PTRACER

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 15 2021 - 03:38 AM

View Postdb312, on Oct 14 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

Royale, you chose your nickname very well... :P

From this period I always dreamed to drive a Bugatti type35... So, despite my meagre skills, if i can be useful don't hesitate to tell me...

A true admirer :hat-tip:

In that case I would highly recommend trying out the very similar Bugatti Type 51 mod for Assetto Corsa :)


Edited by PTRACER, Oct 15 2021 - 05:59 AM.


#17 crimsonregency

crimsonregency

    crimsonregency

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California (USA)
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 15 2021 - 10:50 AM

Isn't that a pretty terrible mod?

#18 Royale

Royale

    Denny Hulme

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 15 2021 - 12:38 PM

View Postdb312, on Oct 14 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

Royale, you chose your nickname very well... :P


Care of Rory Bryne and the Royale RP-24  :P  (See snap below) I'm really Bob

View Postcrimsonregency, on Oct 15 2021 - 12:18 AM, said:

So my company, Casual Sim Studios, has myself and two others who work to produce mods. I will approach the team and see if they are interested in directing some resources towards GPL. But even if they aren't, I am totally down to learn how to "reverse engineer" this game and get some 1934 GP cars running in Grand Prix Legends.

Our effort for the last decade - Historic Racing Legends - is a joint car production effort led by Shaun Collins from CD3fX graphics and myself. We then work with a cast of "hundreds" to improve the converted cars and produce the "mod."

We build specifically for GPL (all the CanAms, the 55 cars and other bits as well) and have over a hundred 3ds max converted models ready to go and already running well in GPL. The real bottle neck is eye killing editing to get around all the limits of the GPL graphics engine. We're trying to finish atm a 37mod and a sports car 71 mod.

Attached Files



#19 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Keswick, Ontario, Canada
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Oct 16 2021 - 06:35 AM

Show off!  ;)

#20 Royale

Royale

    Denny Hulme

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 16 2021 - 09:14 AM

View PostManfred Cubenoggin, on Oct 16 2021 - 06:35 AM, said:

Show off!  ;)

Nah, maybe this one ?   :tongue2:

Attached Files






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links