hammerheader

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Racing, gaming, computers, and lots of other unrelated things
  • Sim interest:Nascar

Posted Aug 19 2020 - 05:02 PM

Hello! I'm pretty new to GPL, but I'm already in love with the game and it's loads of mods. I've got at least 10GB worth of space on my hard drive taken up by GPL :lol:

Though I had an idea earlier today while I was playing, which was sort of a Youtube account that only uploads raw, unedited footage of GPL gameplay. Something to the tune of three or five laps on whatever track and car is featured in said video. I'm not sure if anyone would be able to use it, or if the dumb Youtube licensing will interfere with it, but I'd probably license the videos under CC0 (basically public domain). After all, anyone could do the same thing on their own, provided they have GPL.

Only issue would be how I'd want to present it, and maybe completeness. I can do pretty well on most tracks after I've gone around them once, but that's with both braking and throttle assistance enabled. I could hardly handle maneuvering any cars I tried with both of them turned off. Now, would you rather watch someone race knowing they have assists enabled, or without assists?

As for completeness, just add up how much time it would take for me to race every car (including trainers), at every track ever made for GPL, for at least three laps without crashing or spinning out. Would take ages for everything to get done, but that doesn't mean I can't try!

So, how does something like that sound?

#2 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 19 2020 - 07:01 PM

i like watching GPL on youtube

i dont know how anyone can drive with aids turned on turn em off you will become a better driver and you will thank me later haha

do a series of youtube short races of about 6 laps (depends on track length) no music i hate music over the sounds of the cars

also either use race commentary during or post race

#3 hammerheader

hammerheader

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Racing, gaming, computers, and lots of other unrelated things
  • Sim interest:Nascar

Posted Aug 19 2020 - 07:47 PM

View PostBrocky05, on Aug 19 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

i dont know how anyone can drive with aids turned on turn em off you will become a better driver and you will thank me later haha
Yep. That's why I'm very hesitant on even using a driving line, unless it's my first few runs at the track, then maybe. Can't learn how to drive without them unless you take them off, after all.

View PostBrocky05, on Aug 19 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

also either use race commentary during or post race
Ehh, I don't know. I like keeping myself hidden online, and Idk if adding my voice to a video would be a good idea.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Aug 20 2020 - 09:47 AM

I hope you will try, it's always cool to see a car / track combination video before downloading or installing it.

#5 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Aug 20 2020 - 11:38 AM

View Posthammerheader, on Aug 19 2020 - 05:02 PM, said:

As for completeness, just add up how much time it would take for me to race every car (including trainers), at every track ever made for GPL, for at least three laps without crashing or spinning out. Would take ages for everything to get done, but that doesn't mean I can't try!...

Don't know about just three laps, but some years ago I computed to do one race weekend (practice, qual, two hour race) with each car from each mod at each track then available would take fifteen years non-stop.  I've been with GPL 22 years and counting, there are tracks I've never raced and cars I've never yet driven.

Go for it!  If nothing else it would be a great travelogue of tracks.  Licensing isn't a problem, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of game videos on youtube.

#6 D_J

D_J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Aug 21 2020 - 12:07 AM

Since we are talking about gpl on youtube. Pardon me while I plug our league stream channel.. hours and hours of gpl. Next race is sept 3rd. New drivers are ofc welcome anytime.

https://www.youtube....YKawNIJDdVCzaGQ

#7 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,774 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Aug 29 2020 - 09:59 AM

View Posthammerheader, on Aug 19 2020 - 05:02 PM, said:

Though I had an idea earlier today while I was playing, which was sort of a Youtube account that only uploads raw, unedited footage of GPL gameplay. Something to the tune of three or five laps on whatever track and car is featured in said video. I'm not sure if anyone would be able to use it, or if the dumb Youtube licensing will interfere with it, but I'd probably license the videos under CC0 (basically public domain). After all, anyone could do the same thing on their own, provided they have GPL.

The idea, in general, is good.

For many years I have in mind creating a one lap onboard video using a replay for each track (well at least for the 419 real tracks) using the latest graphics updates. In the past, I think the WR replays were available on GPLrank.
Then upload it to YouTube and then I would link to the video on the GPL Track Database (GPLTD).
Well, but I simply do not have enough time to do so.
But I link on the GPLTD to YouTube videos whenever I see good ones for the tracks.

GPL Alternative Track Database (GPLTD)
Track Stats:
Total Tracks listed in the database : 640
Real Tracks : 419
Fantasy Tracks : 209
Final Release : 540
Beta Tracks : 62
Alpha Tracks : 38

;)

View PostD_J, on Aug 21 2020 - 12:07 AM, said:

Since we are talking about gpl on youtube. Pardon me while I plug our league stream channel.. hours and hours of gpl. Next race is sept 3rd. New drivers are ofc welcome anytime.

https://www.youtube....YKawNIJDdVCzaGQ

And also pardon me... :)
Here is our GPLRACER league race channel:
https://www.youtube....3PbAClyaUT4Xy5g

For example, watch our latest 65 mod cup race at Rouen for some nice onboard action.

For more GPL movies / videos have a look here:
http://www.gplworld....ends/gpl-movies
My site links to some YouTube channels.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Aug 29 2020 - 10:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links