sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 10 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hello!
I like to search and investigate about 60's racetracks... i want to look for this.
Cascais host some events, even some international F3 races.
i just make a PDF file with some info about this portuguese track used back on 60's.
I was unable to found pictures of real events, so if any of you have some info is really welcome.
Looks like track area/sorroundings change a lot, all the coast road looks to modern, same for area from t2 to t3.
Thanks and i hope you enjoy it.

Sergio Loro
www.f3classictracks.com

PDF FILE :
http://www.mediafire... ... ascais.pdf

#2 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:GPL & GTL

Posted Sep 11 2017 - 01:48 PM

I use to live in Cascais many months a year and can ask for pics, if not of the races, at least of the streets in those years. I knew Cascais in the early 90s, and still were the old houses in the coast road, but I have very few pics of them and no one of the other streets. I'm going to talk to the people I know there.

Quico

#3 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted Sep 11 2017 - 03:36 PM

According to the google street, it looks like a one-car-wide track...

I guess in GPL it would be a great track... for hotlapping, hehe.

But, well, any addition is a great one and especially if done by Sergio ;)

#4 Marx

Marx

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 11 2017 - 04:53 PM

Sergio,

I found a few items for you.

Check https://arquivos.rtp...h.pFp1dtDi.dpbs for some footage of the 1964 training session

I also found about 20 pictures on the net of the 60s races that took place there and an interesting map confirming the pictures and footage: there were hardly any building around the track in the 60s. I can share the pictures with you if interested, let me know.

Marx

#5 Marx

Marx

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 69 posts

Posted Sep 11 2017 - 05:22 PM

And some footage from a motorbike race in the 1964 at the same circuit.

https://arquivos.rtp...h.1jXAzB3L.dpbs

Marx

#6 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 279 posts

Posted Sep 11 2017 - 07:26 PM

hey! thanks for the info, and for videos, as i suppost most of track change a lot with modern buildings, houses and so on.
the track had a very natural enviroment, wich it makes a great place for 60's racing :)
Thank you a lot :)
pictures would be great too :)

Edited by sergioloro, Sep 11 2017 - 07:30 PM.

#7 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 279 posts

Posted Sep 11 2017 - 07:39 PM

watching at motorbike video, i start to think a 60's motorbike sim would be a great idea :)

#8 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 11 2017 - 08:24 PM

I was just about to post to say I can't find anything - and i just now see others have posted with info :D

If you look at google earth you will see that the east side road of the circuit, near the castle was changed in 2007 (check 04 / 06 imagery).

There will be older imagery available somewhere in archives, it is just knowing where to find it :/

You could try contacting these people for info on the area and how it has changed:
https://www.research...nami_in_Cascais

Sure, the timeframes are different, but they will have a clue about the area and know where to get info about it.

Also I wonder how popular that site is and if it would be useful to post requests there for help on track research!

That's the thing with this kind of stuff - even non-motorsport related footage is valuable, and people who have no interest in racing can still have valuable sources of information! :)

But yes, an historic motorcycle sim would be amazing - just look at the circuit list for the time period, it is far better than even F1 of the same era.
Of course it would have to allow proper input (so, you have to counter steer rather than simply turn in the direction you want to go) and I think it could work quite well, if you assume that the rider is fairly stationary and isn't really moving their body weight around as you can't easily provide that input in a "connected" way or get feedback from it. But then riders didn't really move their weight around so much back then anyway.

Of course you would need to use wheel where you can detach the wheel and instead put bars on the top of it, then it might work quite well. The problem is, I don't know how well it would work in being able to feel when you are losing balance. Sure, you could adapt your senses to instead rely on visual cues for it, but I'm not sure how well it would work or "feel". It would certainly take some getting used to and be way more difficult than the real thing, but hopefully not as bad as I imagine. Having real counter steering would go a long way into making it decent though.

#9 Marx

Marx

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 69 posts

Posted Sep 12 2017 - 07:06 AM

Sergio,

Here are a few pictures I found on the net from 60s races at Cascais. The roads were not so narrow then as they seem to be these days. Quite a few pictures focus on the final turn before the start finish line.

Marx.

Attached Files

Edited by Marx, Sep 12 2017 - 07:43 AM.

#10 Marx

Marx

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 69 posts

Posted Sep 12 2017 - 10:43 AM

Sergio,

A few more pictures to give you an impression of the circuit in the 60s. Especially the area around the Cicadella and the Condo Castro Guimaraes palace are clearly visible.

Are you considering to produce this track for GPL?

Marc

Attached Files

Edited by Marx, Sep 12 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#11 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 12 2017 - 12:08 PM

A classic gpl type bike game from fifties/sixties. How I wish ­čś×

If you can get one. https://www.amazon.c...crb_top?ie=UTF8

TP

#12 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 279 posts

Posted Sep 12 2017 - 03:53 PM

maybe we have to contact Milestone.... :drunk:

#13 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 279 posts

Posted Sep 12 2017 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Marx.
i have interest to drove around track and maybe i build a layout with altitudes and so on, but not sure if ever get done a complete track.
Actually there is a couple of layout i want to build too, Vila Real, Old Chimay, Stramberk, Jicin and others. But just the layout with brake signs and check how track feel, i have to imagine all scenary :)...
with AC or RF2 graphics it is hard to me work with GPL, i feel limited :unsure:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links