Dronzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 12 2020 - 08:23 AM

I have had my Fanatec CSL Elite LC pedal set for a few days now. Straight out of the box it feels like a step forward from my old Clubsport V1 set.

However, It seems to me that fine tuning in USB Game Controllers is required to get the best out of it. I have experimented with the clutch and brake settings; I have not altered the throttle setting so far. I think I am making some progress but I am really fumbling about in the dark. Expert guidance would be welcome.

Is there somewhere a detailed setup tutorial? I have surfed the internet and not found much that was useful.

#2 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Supporter
  • 653 posts

Posted Sep 12 2020 - 08:39 AM

I have the same pedals but connected to a Fanatec wheelbase instead of usb. But setup should be the same.

The main importance is ofcourse the brake force and the combination of rubbers that are provided with the pedals. The brake force setting determines how much pressure it requires to reach 100%, the rubbers and foam ring basically allow with what sort of pedal travel you want to reach that force. In general a higher braking force will give you more precision. I would use the highest possible setting you can comfortably drive with for longer sessions.

I don't have a detailed guide but I can tell you what I'm using now after ~ 1 year of experimenting. Brake force at 70%, I found that to be my sweetspot. With 60% I would lock up to easily and with 80% I would not brake hard enough. As for the rubbers and foam I absolutely hated the squishy feeling foam ring. I took it out and I'm now using just 6 rubber bushings. (3 x 65 and 3 x 85). Some will tell you not to mix up different rubbers, but since you only have 5 of each this is much better than using that foam piece.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 12 2020 - 08:43 AM.

#3 Dronzo

Dronzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted Sep 13 2020 - 02:51 AM

View PostMillennium, on Sep 12 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

I have the same pedals but connected to a Fanatec wheelbase instead of usb. But setup should be the same.

The main importance is ofcourse the brake force and the combination of rubbers that are provided with the pedals. The brake force setting determines how much pressure it requires to reach 100%, the rubbers and foam ring basically allow with what sort of pedal travel you want to reach that force. In general a higher braking force will give you more precision. I would use the highest possible setting you can comfortably drive with for longer sessions.

I don't have a detailed guide but I can tell you what I'm using now after ~ 1 year of experimenting. Brake force at 70%, I found that to be my sweetspot. With 60% I would lock up to easily and with 80% I would not brake hard enough. As for the rubbers and foam I absolutely hated the squishy feeling foam ring. I took it out and I'm now using just 6 rubber bushings. (3 x 65 and 3 x 85). Some will tell you not to mix up different rubbers, but since you only have 5 of each this is much better than using that foam piece.

Thank you for your interesting observations. I find that those high settings for the brake force - even 60% - make it impossible for me to get close to lock-up point. So far, I find 30% works best for me! I can think of two possible explanations for this: either it is because your pedals are attached to a frame or you have legs like tree trunks and do weightlifting.

I took your point about the soft foam thing. I am currently using five x 65, one x 85. This has made a makjor difference: it is far easier to get the exit line right for Quarry at Castle Combe, for example.

Further experimentation is required...

Edited by Dronzo, Sep 13 2020 - 04:48 AM.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Supporter
  • 653 posts

Posted Sep 13 2020 - 07:56 AM

I have the pedals indeed mounted to a frame, I can imagine 60% is way too much when they are loose on the ground. I think your current configuration should be a good starting point.

#5 Dronzo

Dronzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted Sep 17 2020 - 03:39 AM

Another thing about setup - in Logitech Profiler.> Adjust Sensitivity, Dead Zone, Range and Mapping, I have these settings, which seemed to work well with my old Clubsport V1 pedals:

Sensitivity: 50%
Dead zone:  0%
Range:       60%

I intend to experiment with these. Perhaps the CSL Elite LC needs something different. Does anyone have any recommendations?

#6 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Sep 17 2020 - 10:01 AM

One tip - when setting up the pedals in the Control Panel, rest your feet on each pedal as you would normal driving before setting the Minimum. Also, for setting Maximum, push all the way then lift your foot up ever so slightly. Then you know you don't have to push hard to reach maximum pedal travel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links