Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:racing sims
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 13 2016 - 05:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I reinstalled GPL after a long time. (with the gpl installer 1.04 and added a lot of tracks)

It is fantastic and runs perfectly on windows 8, but I have a Problem with the sound in the replays. the

sound is not  "constant" that means it mutes sometimes and then it's there again. (for example at the

gear change) I don't know if that is normal!? It sounds not so nice. Sorry for my english. I hope, you

understand.

And another Question: Does the Logitech g920 work fine with GPL? I have in my mind to buy this

wheel. Any experiences? is force feedback available?

thanks.

Edited by Max Power, Nov 13 2016 - 06:10 AM.

#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Nov 13 2016 - 08:34 AM

I began having the same sound symptoms recently.  After un-installing GPLshift the sound cut-outs stopped.  I don't know if this is caused by Microsoft updates to my Win 7 64-bit OS or something else.  For the little that I was using GPLshift for (driver view adjustments mainly) it won't be missed by me.

#3 Max Power

Max Power

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Nov 13 2016 - 12:34 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Nov 13 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

I began having the same sound symptoms recently.  After un-installing GPLshift the sound cut-outs stopped.  I don't know if this is caused by Microsoft updates to my Win 7 64-bit OS or something else.  For the little that I was using GPLshift for (driver view adjustments mainly) it won't be missed by me.

Thanks for your answer, but I didn't install GPL Shift. What is GPL Shift?

That can't be the reason, I think.

#4 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,576 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Nov 13 2016 - 02:56 PM

Check the number of sounds in GPL options panel.
I think Nigel or Wolfgang or both :P , said the best is to keep that number at 8.

#5 dboy19

dboy19

Dan Gurney

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing

Posted Nov 13 2016 - 06:11 PM

In response to your question on the logitech 920, I have been using one for about a year now on Windows 8.1 . It works pretty well but no force feedback in GPL. I have installed the latest drivers and firmware updates but still no luck with the force feedback issue. Logitech hasn't been much help.Good luck,Doug

#6 Max Power

Max Power

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 10:39 AM

@ginetto:Thanks for your answer. I changed in the sound options the number of sounds on 8. But it makes no difference.

@Doug:thanks for your experience. No force feedback - thats a pity. what can be the reason. Does GPL support force feedback at all??

#7 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,184 posts

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 11:41 AM

Max, what are you using for a sound device?  On-the-motherboard chip?  Windows 8 should run that OK.

GPL is very sensitive to other programs running, especially if they use any sounds.  Do you have e-mail running?  Try shutting off all other non-essential programs.

#8 Max Power

Max Power

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 12:03 PM

i think i have an onboard chip(notebook PC). no email running. no other programs. maybe the reason is the onboard chip...

if i drive the brabham for example i have an annoying high tune if i throttle strong and the motor roars. if i drive the ferrari, its the same. if i drive the lotus i have no problems.

#9 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Nov 15 2016 - 08:08 AM

In regards to your question concerning GPL Shift patch,it will allow you to use a H pattern shifter and clutch pedal. It does other things as well ,you can go to this site for more info  http://www.gplshift....shift/index.htm

Yes GPL does support force feed back but I have no idea if it will work with the steering wheel you mentioned ( Logitech g920) it should.Perhaps someone elese can help you with that. I use a G27 and it works very well. A friend of mine bought a Thrustmaster T300rs last year and the force feedback in GPL works fine on it too.

When you do get a steering wheel there is a force feedback patch that may help you fine tune your FFB settings  at this thread http://srmz.net/inde...226 and read the instrucions carefully.

I hope some of this helps

#10 Max Power

Max Power

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Nov 16 2016 - 10:12 AM

thanks for the tipps. I only want to buy a g920, if it works 100 % with GPL. I want to play other racing sims as well. there are some nice actual games, I think. but GPL should work with the wheel in all ways, too. Its my favourite racing game. Because a racing wheel is not that cheap. Maybe I find someone, who has experience with the combination GPL and logitech g920.

#11 Max Power

Max Power

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Mar 26 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hello to all of you - I want to bring this thread up again. The problem with the sound issues in the replays like i described in the first post, is still existent.

I still don't know if this is a general issue of the game because its an old game, or if it's a bug or a technical problem. (example: if a car in the replay is far away, there is no engine sound - it appears suddenly when the car come nearer. When the car moves away the sounds mutes again - sometimes the sound disappear between the gearshifting) and only in the replays and in the tv mode.

It's not that dramatic but it's a littel bit annoying when i watch a replay.

Please tell me your experiences with the sound in the replays.

thanks.

Edited by Max Power, Mar 26 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#12 Sisifos

Sisifos

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Apr 10 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hi all. I have exactly the same sound issue in replays as Max Power describes above. It appears only in replays and only in tv mode. When the car is in a distance and when I shift gears the sound muted.
I am now in Windows 10 x64 but I remember I had the same problem some years ago when I tried the game with Windows 7.

#13 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Apr 10 2017 - 01:38 PM

This issue with sounds is a factor of the game being originally from 1998.  To conserve on CPU resources sounds were computed to be played as a distance from the TV1 or TV2 cam positions.

Although this still remains an issue, some of the muted sounds of other cars can be eliminated if under Options in the Mixer Control section Max Number of Sounds is set to 16.  I know that some prescribe using only 3-5 sounds for maximum clarity for in-cockpit sounds, but that is a trade off for TV1 and TV2 sounds.  Your choice, as always.  :)

You must also balance the Sound Volume with your PC sound settings and speaker volume.  I set this at 50 percent and then adjust the other volume settings to bring the overall volume to my liking.

Edited by gliebzeit, Apr 10 2017 - 01:40 PM.

#14 Sisifos

Sisifos

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Apr 11 2017 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for your reply. I don't fill that the problem is exactly that. I suspect instead, that it has to do with engines sounds somehow. There are cases in replays (always in tv modes only) when I can hear the tires skidding in the road but the engine sound is totally muted. I suspect that it has to do with engine revs somehow as the problem appears mainly at times of gear shifting when the car's revs change drastically.
The muted engine sounds at distance isn't a big problem for me but when you watch the car in a straight (close by) revving up increasing speed and the engine sound totally mutes and unmutes at every gear shifting, totally destroys the immersion :)

#15 Max Power

Max Power

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Apr 19 2017 - 05:42 AM

View PostSisifos, on Apr 11 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

Thanks for your reply. I don't fill that the problem is exactly that. I suspect instead, that it has to do with engines sounds somehow. There are cases in replays (always in tv modes only) when I can hear the tires skidding in the road but the engine sound is totally muted. I suspect that it has to do with engine revs somehow as the problem appears mainly at times of gear shifting when the car's revs change drastically.
The muted engine sounds at distance isn't a big problem for me but when you watch the car in a straight (close by) revving up increasing speed and the engine sound totally mutes and unmutes at every gear shifting, totally destroys the immersion :)

I totally agree with your last sentence. The sound mute is annoying and unrealistic for the immersion. Its a pity, that it cant be patched, so that the sound is constant. Or can it??

It would be the last necessary improvement to a very old game after the beautiful patches and mods, which already exist.:-)

Edited by Max Power, Apr 19 2017 - 05:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links