Jump to content


- - - - -

What Are Your Favourite Race Tracks?


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Spadowski

Spadowski

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 13 2019 - 02:59 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Apr 13 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

I'm a bit different. I love to race Championships at full length. So, it's either the original 11 Papy tracks with the popular updates, or the real 11 tracks in the Historical V2 mod.

It's not so much that I love the tracks, but that I love being as historical as possible. I know Rouen isn't historical but Bugatti is such a lousy track I make an exception. I do use Bugatti in the V2 mod and hate it as the real drivers did too.

I wish I had your dedication Pete. I've not done full length races in a sim since Crammond's Grand Prix 2.

I really do want to do a GPL championship but just haven't had the time yet. I will probably make it a super championship though. Like 24 tracks, including all the originals, plus other great ones like Solitude etc... Of course a lot depends on how the AI is.

#22 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 14 2019 - 08:00 AM

View PostSpadowski, on Apr 13 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

I wish I had your dedication Pete. I've not done full length races in a sim since Crammond's Grand Prix 2.

I really do want to do a GPL championship but just haven't had the time yet. I will probably make it a super championship though. Like 24 tracks, including all the originals, plus other great ones like Solitude etc... Of course a lot depends on how the AI is.

You don't need to do a full length championship. You can do a short or long race length too. I think you can even do a novice length.

You also don't need to do it all at once. Once you start a championship it's saved. You can do training or single races and come back to the championship anytime you want until it's finished.

I'll admit that doing a full length championship in Pro Mode is quite a challenge. You really have to stay out of the way of the AI and you really need to protect the engine from any damage. I drive the Lotus and always short shift it to keep it healthy

It's a fun challenge though. It will teach you to be fast but in a safe way. Pretty much what you would do if you were in the real 1967 GP race. GPL is a simulation. Shouldn't we be simulating what was reality?

#23 John Woods

John Woods

    Be Somebody

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 14 2019 - 09:34 AM

Good  post Pete!
:)

Would be just as good on the Where to Start thread.

Awhile back was reading Mario Andretti's "What's It Like Out There."
He emphasized with several references the difference between good drivers and real racers is very simple.

Real racers finish the race. It does not matter how far behind, how beat up in pain, or whether on three wheels and one gear.

They don't quit.

That's how real racers earn respect.


:D

Edited by John Woods, Apr 14 2019 - 09:35 AM.


#24 Spadowski

Spadowski

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 15 2019 - 03:04 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Apr 14 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

You don't need to do a full length championship. You can do a short or long race length too. I think you can even do a novice length.

You also don't need to do it all at once. Once you start a championship it's saved. You can do training or single races and come back to the championship anytime you want until it's finished.

I'll admit that doing a full length championship in Pro Mode is quite a challenge. You really have to stay out of the way of the AI and you really need to protect the engine from any damage. I drive the Lotus and always short shift it to keep it healthy

It's a fun challenge though. It will teach you to be fast but in a safe way. Pretty much what you would do if you were in the real 1967 GP race. GPL is a simulation. Shouldn't we be simulating what was reality?

Oh I know I can do shorter ones, but the times I did FULL LENGTH races for a championship were so much more satisfying. I can still remember multiple races. (Warning: The following took place after 1967:)) Like chasing down Coulthard at Monaco for the win and his car expiring five laps from the end so I swept through to victory. Or the race in Spain where in a Williams I fought off Hakkinen's McLaren for the entire race as he'd get right up behind me, but I had more power on the main straight so he couldn't pass. Or racing at Aida, well in the lead, and my engine blowing two laps from home. Or a 3 hour race I did in NR2003, in the Trans Am mod, at Le Mans. I renamed all the drivers to F1 past and present. I started 38th of 43. Finished 5th. I still remember who won. (Mansell.)

I find long races create enduring memories. I can't remember any short ones I've ever done.

And writing that up just reminded me of one of my favourite things with sim racing. Writing up post race reports. (Leagues I was in a lot of people loved reading them, and I really miss writing them.)

View PostJohn Woods, on Apr 14 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

He emphasized with several references the difference between good drivers and real racers is very simple.

Real racers finish the race. It does not matter how far behind, how beat up in pain, or whether on three wheels and one gear.

They don't quit.

That's how real racers earn respect.

:D

Interesting timing. Was watching the Netflix F1 documentary series last night, "Driven to Win". One episode is all about Lance Stroll's Dad buying Force India and how either Perez or Ocon would be out. (Editorial: They kept the wrong driver based on ability IMO. I don't buy for a second the team claiming it wasn't about money.) It covers the Mexican Grand Prix I think it was, where Ocon lost his wing at the start, and fought back to 11th place. Will Buxton points out that a lot of drivers would have given up, or even retired, but Ocon kept fighting until the end for 11th place.

You gotta keep going in the race. You never know when weirdness might occur and you'll wind up in an Olivier Panis at Monaco situation:) (Okay, if you go back and watch that race he didn't wind up there entirely via attrition, but the point remains.)

Edited by Spadowski, Apr 15 2019 - 03:06 PM.


#25 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

    Tom Pryce

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK
  • Interests:Sports, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 16 2019 - 02:50 AM

I don't think many people would disagree with me if I said that Bob 'Pepe' Higdon has the best race write ups I've ever seen at oAo.

Yannick produced a video for our last race: https://www.youtube....h?v=H5b7RweuEWc and Kayo Michiels regularly posts his full races: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#26 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 16 2019 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the shoutout, Iestyn :)

I also made a video on that topic of favourite tracks about a year ago.
My opinions may have fluctuated a bit over the past 395-ish days :P


Edited by GrandPrixYannick , Apr 16 2019 - 11:05 AM.


#27 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:brome lake Quebec, Canada
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 16 2019 - 08:08 PM

Nice video GP Yannick :up:  My top 10 in no particular order are :  Zeltweg 71 ,St.Jovite ,Spa 67 ,Road America ,Riverside 71 ,Mt. Panorama ,Nurburgring ,Monza 10K ,Crystal Palace and Donnybrook 71. For me all these tracks have two things in common and they are great flow and a lot of fun to drive. What more could I want !




2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Gaus

Sim Racing Links