davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 18 2012 - 09:39 PM

Found them in the repository folder of my Grand Prix Legends install. Comes with its own  driver ini for the Ai.

Some screenies I made:

Attached File  ARON1.JPG   51.33K   241 downloadsAttached File  ARON2.JPG   73.75K   266 downloadsAttached File  ARON3.JPG   87.59K   262 downloads

Attached File  CAPUA1.JPG   51.57K   271 downloadsAttached File  CAPUA2.JPG   78.3K   285 downloadsAttached File  CAPUA3.JPG   87.74K   287 downloads

Attached File  DELANEY1.JPG   54.06K   349 downloadsAttached File  DELANEY2.JPG   80.1K   383 downloadsAttached File  DELANEY3.JPG   91.8K   297 downloads

The Steve McQueen skin is King of Cool !

Edited by davef, Nov 18 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#2 bob69

bob69

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted Nov 22 2012 - 04:30 AM

Exellent little addon for the already awsome Mod :mcqueen:

Quick question, is it possible to have these skins as the player car and if so how???

Cheers,

#3 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Nov 26 2012 - 09:44 AM

View Postbob69, on Nov 22 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

Exellent little addon for the already awsome Mod :mcqueen:

Quick question, is it possible to have these skins as the player car and if so how???

Cheers,

It would be really cool to drive the Gulf Porsche  wouldn't it ? :clap:

#4 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Feb 24 2014 - 05:50 PM

View Postbob69, on Nov 22 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

Cheers,

I found if you have dooDAT & winmip you can get the player car to have these fantasy skins.

I have the 917 Gulf Porsche for my car now. Here's how :

Using dooDAT, I extracted the P917m35.mip file & backed it up into a subfolder that I have
made in the murasama car folder that I named "player stp car". Next again using dooDAT extract
the file P917m23.mip.Rename it to P917m35,mip & copy this file into a subfolder named "player gulf porsche".
Now I can choose if I want to drive the STP or Gulf Porsche. I used winmip to open these files to make
sure I had the correct ones.

You now will be in car #23 instead of #35, which does not conflict with the ai, unless you are driving with
the fantasy driver ini. (Your entry list will still show the player as listed #35.)

I did not have luck with the back of the car & experimented with some other files I found/extracted
but could only get Siffert's car to have Delaney's back & mud flaps on the rear wheels. So you
see there is a small conflict with sponsership of the tires :

Attached File  917 gulf porsche.JPG   122.51K   111 downloadsAttached File  917 gulf porsche2.JPG   95.65K   147 downloadsAttached File  917 gulf porsche3.JPG   115.78K   111 downloads

Edited by davef, Feb 24 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#5 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,824 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 25 2014 - 05:13 AM

Hmm, I've had a look in my repository folder and I can't find these skins. The ai files are there, but no skin files. And I've searched SRMZ for them too and can't seem to find them. Were they added to the CanAm download some time after release? :confused:

EDIT: Ok, after re-reading the thread a couple of times I think I understand better what's going on. It seems that the skins are not separate files. I'll have a search around with WinMip.

EDIT2: To get the correct colours/textures on the rear of the Gulf car, you need to extract file "P917MAIN.MIP" from the .dat file, rename it to "P920MAIN.MIP" and copy it into the Murasama folder. I think there might also be a way to get the cockpit view to show blue bodywork instead of red - I'll carry on investigating this.

EDIT3: To get a grey edge to the bodywork in cockpit view, instead of red/orange, extract file "P919CPIT.MIP" from the .dat, rename it to "P917CPIT.MIP" and copy it into the Murasama folder.

Edited by Saiph, Feb 25 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#6 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Feb 25 2014 - 05:41 AM

Hi Keith, the fantasy drivers files are in the car folders already as you have deduced, drop the ai file into a
track folder to make them appear. :)

#7 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,824 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 25 2014 - 06:23 AM

View Postdavef, on Feb 25 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

Hi Keith, the fantasy drivers files are in the car folders already as you have deduced, drop the ai file into a
track folder to make them appear. :)
Thanks Dave, I've realised that now. I'm following up on your earlier post so that I can drive the Gulf car in testing mode. I've got the right colours/textures and tyre logos on the back of the car now.

Attached Files

Edited by Saiph, Feb 25 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#8 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,824 posts

Posted Feb 25 2014 - 06:54 AM

Ok, to make it nice and simple for anyone who's a bit nervous about messing around with GPL files, here's the easy way to drive the Porsche 917 custom skins in testing mode:

(1) Download the attached .zip file.
(2) Go to your "\GPL\Cars\Canm71\murasama" folder.
(3) Unzip the file there, and it will create 3 sub-directories.
(4) To drive a custom skin, go into your chosen sub-directory, and copy the three .mip files into the main "murasama" directory, allowing files to be overwritten if necessary.
(5) Start up GPL and enjoy your repainted Porsche 917.
(6) To revert back to the default car, just use the default files.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: If people like this I can have a look at doing the same thing for the other cars/skins.

Thanks to davef for inspiring me to do this - I've always enjoyed driving cars with the Gulf colours, but I never got around to looking at the 917 until now.

Attached Files

Edited by Saiph, Feb 25 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#9 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Feb 25 2014 - 07:25 AM

Nicely done Keith ! i'll download later after work. Thank you ! :up:

#10 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Feb 25 2014 - 08:10 PM

Saiph , you really improved the look of the cockpit with that file you found. :woohoo2:

Attached File  917 cockpit.JPG   92.17K   81 downloads

#11 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 04:09 AM

:thankyou:  Saiph

#12 Tim_65

Tim_65

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thank you Saiph.

The only thing that could improve this mod would be a 917K in Deleaney colours. :please:

Is there any chance you could extract the M8D files?

Cheers

#13 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,824 posts

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 03:35 PM

View Postdavef, on Feb 25 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

Saiph , you really improved the look of the cockpit with that file you found. :woohoo2:

Thanks. I noticed there was another cockpit texture file in the .dat, with a grey edge, so I thought I'd try it. It looks a little less distracting than the red one.

View PostTim_65, on Feb 26 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Thank you Saiph.

The only thing that could improve this mod would be a 917K in Deleaney colours. :please:

Is there any chance you could extract the M8D files?

Cheers
I'm afraid I've never tried to do any 3D modelling for GPL, and I don't think I would know how, so a 917K from me would be out of the question. There is a very old Porsche 917K GPL model floating around in the community somewhere, but I don't think it's ever been fully finished and released officially. I think it replaces one of the 1967 cars, so it's a little tricky to set up and remove again when you want to go back to normal 1967 racing. I don't have it myself, and I don't know where to find it - try using the forum search function and see what you come up with.

I think the alternative skins for the 917 look very good, so I will have a look at the T260 and M8D too and see if I can put the skins into an easy-to-use form. It might take me a couple of days - watch this space. :wave:

Edited by Saiph, Feb 26 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#14 Tim_65

Tim_65

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hi Saiph,

Thanks for looking into the alternative skins for the T260 and M8D and putting them into an easy to install format.
What you did for the 917 was so easy I had the Gulf car up and running in a minute.

Don't rush. A few days, a few weeks, whenever.
When and if you can it will be greatly appreciated by all.

Gave the search function a 917K search, as you suggested.
I came across the bob_hund thread for the 1970 lemans mod.
2004!!?? 10 years ago??!!
What fantastic news.
In GPL time that means it was only started yesterday so you never know, Bob_hund may still be working on it...............maybe.

#15 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,824 posts

Posted Feb 26 2014 - 07:32 PM

Here, (slightly quicker than I expected!) is the file which will allow you to run various custom skins with the McLaren M8D in test mode. To use it, do the following:

(1) Download the attached file.
(2) Go to your "\GPL\Cars\Canm71\brm" folder.
(3) Unzip the file there and it will create 6 new sub-directories.
(4) To drive a custom skin, go into your chosen sub-folder, and copy the 2 .mip files to the main "brm" folder, overwriting files if necessary.
(5) Start up GPL and enjoy your repainted M8D.
(6) To revert back to the default black car, just use the default files.

There are quite a few custom skins in the M8D .dat file, but I have just selected one or two of each colour scheme, (red, yellow, blue/grey, orange) as they are all very similar except for their numbers.

Thanks to the CanAm mod team for creating these excellent skins and giving us so much variety.

Lola T260 file on the way soon....

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links