Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 10 2018 - 02:14 AM

Hi All,

Can anyone explain how the 'variability' parameter works in the driver.ini files?

Searching the forum, it seems like it introduces a random factor to AI drivers lap times, but not all driver.ini files use the parameter. Even when 'variability' isn't used, the AI lap times still vary. Can anyone please explain what it adds?
Thanks,

JonnyA

#2 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted Mar 10 2018 - 03:51 PM

Jonny, the variability parameter varies the AI lap times on a random basis.  I can't find my notes on it, but I think it adjusts the AI driver's hype setting at the start of each lap.  Typically, the values used are .015 (1.5%) which I believe is one standard deviation from the norm.

Nigel added this feature some time around 2007 or so...certainly before 2009 when he left GPL so that is why older mods didn't have a variability setting.  AFAIK, you can add a variability setting to older mods, but its use depends on whether the mod's physics set permits this feature.  Mods since 2009 do.

As you noted, even without a variability setting, the AI lap times have a bit of randomness anyway.

#3 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Mar 10 2018 - 04:16 PM

Thanks Lee.

#4 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 10 2018 - 06:10 PM

Lee..........Is this just for the mods, or is it in the GPL installer too. Basically, do the Papy AI have it too?

#5 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 10:11 AM

Pete, the use of the variability line depends on the physics set being used.  The original gpl.exe did not include any code to handle the variability line and therefore it has no effect.

Now the gplc67.exe physics set may include the code.  I don't know where to look for the code in the physics set so don't know if the variability line has any effect with that.  You could test it yourself by changing the variability line value.

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 03:31 PM

Thanks, Lee. I was just curious. I have this thing about messing with the AI. I just leave it as Papy made it. Right or wrong it's the only way I can judge my progress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links