Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 13 2018 - 11:03 AM

I run races with AI only at 36fps. I have tested 60fps patch but returned to default fps. My comments may not be correct for 60fps patch but anyway:

55 mod also comes with AI Speed Control patch by default. I found AI perform better without it. So I've removed it. Like you find during your tests AI Speed Control patch maybe useful only for GT and CanAm cars.

LP files have big impact on AI performance too. There are two ways of using lp files: with default 'lp' extension or with mod specefic extension (l55, l65, l66, l67, l69, lF2, lGT, lCA, lCB). When there are only lp files with standart 'lp' extension in track folder then every mod (67 F1 v1.3 too) uses some coefficients to adjust speed data from lp files. When there are mode specefic lp files then they are read directly without any adjustments. If by chance you are using my AI updates for GT and CanAm71 mods then you have mod specefic lp files for this mods in every championship track folders. This files were made with proper speeds for particular mod. So when this files are read directly without any adjustments then AI should have proper speeds and AI Speed Control patch is not needed.

#47 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Classic Sports Cars

Posted Mar 13 2018 - 02:05 PM

Pavel,

Again, thank you for the information ... I continue to be amazed at the level of knowledge demonstrated on this site.

Roger

#48 Sam

Sam

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:GPL, IRACING

Posted Mar 14 2018 - 12:06 AM

at watkins glen where i have been testing, the AI wont go over 4th gear and 218km/h on the back straight

#49 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Mar 14 2018 - 03:04 AM

Sam,

It would help to know what F1 Mod / version you are running (65 F1, 66 F1, 67 F1, 68F1 69 F1 etc.) with Watkins Glen and what version of Watkins Glen you are running (there are more than one).  Also of interest would be the key data under the track.ini file that governs the Watkins Glen track where you are having difficulty.  This would likely be the track.ini or track67.ini file in the Watkins Glen track folder if you are in '67 F1.   I would be interested in the data under the [ GT ] sub section of the governing track.ini; refer back to my last response to you and the picture tab that was included.

The 60fps AI v1 mod requires that you install a special gpl_ai.ini file to work properly ... did you install this file at the Mod level and replace the existing file?   While we are at it, are you running the 60fps patch version I just referenced; there are at least three different 60fps patches?  if you are not running the patch first referenced, I would change to the AI Patch for starters.

Additionally, are you running under GEM 2 and is it the latest version.  The latest version of GEM 2 seems to have a bug that will not edit the '67 F1 AI through automatic changes to NPT_Override; so you have to do it manually.  In other words the AI value you set in GEM does not adjust the AI performance in this one case.  I am told this only affects the original '67 F1 program ... GEM AI settings seem to work for all the rest of the mods for GPL.  I rarely run the original version of '67 F1 anymore so I avoid this problem; the new Historical '67 version seems to be a much better representation of the '67 season and GEM 2 works for this mod.

Roger

#50 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,319 posts

Posted Mar 14 2018 - 07:06 AM

View PostSam, on Mar 14 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

at watkins glen where i have been testing, the AI wont go over 4th gear and 218km/h on the back straight
If your car is also going slow and not getting out of 4th gear the answer is simple. When you create a new driver, it defaults to the Basic Trainer cars which only have 4 speeds and lower power.

In GPL > Training mode > Track selection menu, select the "Grand Prix" cars

If it's only the AI cars that are so slow, then, as Roger says it has something to do with the track.ini, the ai files or the 60 fps patch is at fault.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Mar 14 2018 - 07:12 AM.

#51 Sam

Sam

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Mar 15 2018 - 01:18 AM

running normal 67 gpl, only the AI that are slow, running 60fpsaiv1

Edited by Sam, Mar 15 2018 - 01:19 AM.

#52 Ernesto Mayer

Ernesto Mayer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Races, races and races...

Posted Mar 15 2018 - 02:10 PM

View PostRoger_F, on Mar 14 2018 - 03:04 AM, said:

I rarely run the original version of '67 F1 anymore so I avoid this problem; the new Historical '67 version seems to be a much better representation of the '67 season and GEM 2 works for this mod.

Roger

I fully agree. Finally the cars are driveable, now they look like  F1cars and not like rockets without brakes or stability. That's why a lot of people gave up on GPL, I even left it and I came back from pure stubbornness.
My opinion, no one needs to agree with it, but finally I could enjoy the simulator.

Edited by Ernesto Mayer, Mar 15 2018 - 02:13 PM.

#53 Sam

Sam

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Mar 17 2018 - 03:47 PM

anyone that can help with the top speed problem pls, reward to anyone that can fix it lol

#54 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Mar 23 2018 - 10:14 AM

My next project is the 60fps adaptation of the excellent 1955 F1 Mod.  This was by far the most interesting adaptation to date for a number of reasons.

First, I would like to thank Greg for his patient schooling on multiple subjects; without his help I would have never been able to tackle this challenging project.

Let's start by discussing the physics used in the 1955 F1 Mod. The F1 cars of this era had vastly different physics than was the case 12 years later when GPL was first simulated.  The 1955 cars were approximately 30% heavier; had tire coefficient of friction values that was much reduced from 1967; had brakes that had a substantial reduction in efficiency and duration; engines that were much less powerful; and chassis that were crude compared to the F1 vehicles of 1967.  Using a 1967 simulation as the basis for a 1955 simulation is an interesting challenge to say the least.  The good news is that the mod team did a fantastic job; the not-so-good news is that the 1955 AI struggle to perform under the same general parameters as the 1967 AI.  

One of the obvious problems are "pile ups" and "take outs."  Finishing a race against the AI is a real challenge on many tracks both at 36fps and even more so at 60fps.  
My theory is that the physics of the 55 mod contribute to the pile ups.  The F1 and F2 cars from 1967 and forward are much lighter and have superior braking, cornering, and steering capabilities.  These changes in physics gives the more modern AI better stopping, maneuvering, and "avoidance" capabilities.  

In order to test my theory I made a copy of the initial driv55.ini and changed the aggression indices to 80% of their current value for each of the 19 AI drivers.  I also increased the value of the alertness indices to 1.2 or higher for each AI driver.  The net result were AIs that are less likely to take a questionable chance and much more likely to avoid a problem that occurs in front of them.  In general the AI racing in the 1955 F1 Mod is better and the probability of finishing a race seems to improve significantly.  This again applies to 36fps and even more so to 60fps.  

This AI characteristic change is relatively easy to initiate; open the driv55.ini and change the aggression and alertness indices as suggested previously.  If you have loaded the 1955 race specific car sets you will also have to change the driv55.ini for each race specific track.   I started these suggested changes on a track by track basis and finally decided that all tracks seemed to benefit to some degree ... so I changed them all.  Tracks with fast straits leading into very tight corners seem to be a particular problem in regards to AI pileups; these tracks benefited the most from the suggested AI changes.  

Some of the 1955 AIs are pretty slow at 36fps and even slower at 60 fps.  If you increase their speed through a lower Gem 2 AI value (1.00 is standard) or an increased dlong_speed_ adj_coef (in the track55.ini files) you will increase the probability of AI crashes.  Directly adjusting the NPT_Override setting also effects the AI crash avoidance behavior.  The modified driv55.ini files help in all these situations.  The discussion to this point applies to 1955 F1 Mod with or without the 60fps patch. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everything said previously, now becomes background to the 1955 F1 Mod conversion to 60fps.  Extensive testing yielded a GEM 2 AI setting of  .88 and requires a fair amount of adjustment both above and below 1.0000 for the dlong_speed_adj_coeff in the individual track55.ini files; this adjustment balances the tracks to the historical qualifying times.  I am currently running 20 tracks in my 1955 F1 simulation; other tracks will have to be tested individually to determine proper values.  Previous posts describe the testing process.  

You will also note in the attached spreadsheet that I have added 9 race specific car sets to the 11 track / car set packages released by Greg.  These are primarily new car sets, using existing mip drawings and a host of new 3dos.  My objective was to recreate races that had a similar feel from a standpoint of: size of field, type of cars entered, drivers competing, and lastly historical accuracy from a graphics standpoint.  In other words, I did not create any new cars to represent missing vehicles.  The car numbers are mostly correct but not always.  When a specific color or decorating scheme was already included in the car mip database, I used it as it was drawn (number and all).  For this reason, I am somewhat reluctant to share all these new race specific car sets.  These new car sets would also require an extensive amount of work to put into a usable format for general consumption.  I'd probably need some help/advice  to develop a deliverable package of the same general quality as Greg's original offering.  If one of you have the presentation formatting skills and are interested, let's discuss.

The reason I created these race specific car sets was primarily due to the inclusion or not, of the Mercedes cars in the actual races.  The silver arrows were better on most tracks than their competition and when the Mercedes Factory Teams showed up, the rest of the field generally finished behind the Mercedes cars that did not crash or have mechanical difficulties.  There were exceptions, but the silver arrows were dominate in the two years they competed.  The Non Championship events rarely, if ever, saw a Mercedes entrant.  

I also used the race specific car sets that Greg created for the two missing tracks Percara and Pedra55.  I used
Brno-49 and Porto58 as substitute tracks with Greg's driv55,ini files and other data .  These two substitute conversions are pretty straight forward as they primarily use existing 3dos and mips.  if you want to try these, I'm game to share.  The other 7 of 9 new race specific car sets are much more involved.  The track data for all 9 new, race specific car sets will work when used as non race specific tracks.

So here is the actual conversion process:  Using the attached spreadsheet, change the GEM 2 AI values to .88; use the 60fps AI v1; and use the 78 AI 10% patches as before ... also change the track55.ini files as we discussed earlier.  Each driv55.ini will need to be adjusted for aggression and alertness (as discussed) and after all this you should be ready to go racing at 60fps.  

The 55F1 Mod is a more complicated 60fps conversion than some of the previously discussed efforts.  You may want to avoid this conversion, if you struggled with earlier 60fps discussions.  I remain available to help as before.  

I hope this effort is of use to you; it has materially increased my enjoyment of this terrific Mod.

Roger

Attached File  UO55F1Mod001.jpg   99.65K   39 downloads

Edited by Roger_F, Mar 23 2018 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links