• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 02:51 PM

For me Dan was an early 60's race pioneer(Gurney flap).

I also remember his documentary interviews about Jim Clark. You could really tell that he was not only a close friend, but he loved Jimmy like a brother and missed him a great deal.

Now they will be together in the spiritual world of motorsport. Just imagine that moment, when they meet in that afterlife. Depending on your believe about life after death 🤔

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 15 2018 - 02:59 PM.

#33 Chris Amon

Chris Amon

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:GPL.
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostMMutch, on Jan 15 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

My heart sank when I read about Dan's passing. May he rest in peace.

It has been a bad few years with Brabham, Ligier, Amon, and now Gurney all passing away. It's saddening to think that it will only get worse as the legends from this era continue to get older.

Likewise, I read he was somewhat unwell sometime last year and I didn't have a good feeling then. I like many here, was a huge admirer. I can't wait to get a huge copy of that picture of him and Jim Clark after the 1964 Belgian GP. It's such a lovely photo.

#34 Chris Amon

Chris Amon

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:GPL.
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 03:33 PM

View PostStefan Roess, on Jan 15 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

I didn`t know that Mr. Gurney invented the tradition of spraying champagne from the podium...

Dan Gurney Wikipedia English:
https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Dan_Gurney

...at 24 hours of Le Mans, where Gurney spontaneously began the now-familiar winner's tradition of spraying champagne from the podium to celebrate the unexpected win against the Ferraris and the other Ford GT40 teams. Gurney said later that he took great satisfaction in proving wrong the critics (including some members of the Ford team) who predicted the two great drivers, normally heated rivals, would break their car in an effort to show each other up.

Dan Gurney Wikipedia German:
https://de.wikipedia...wiki/Dan_Gurney

Dan Gurney ist auch der „Erfinder“ der Champagnerdusche im Rennsport. Nach seinem Sieg mit dem Siebenliter-Mark-IV GT40 von Ford in Le Mans 1967, stand er zusammen mit seinem Partner A.J. Foyt und Henry Ford auf dem Podest. „Henry Ford war mit auf dem Podest, seine ganze Entourage, die Stimmung war ausgelassen, wir hatten Ferrari geschlagen. Der Moment war großartig – ich hab’s einfach laufen lassen“, berichtete Dan Gurney später ganz sachlich über diesen Moment.

Not wishing to sound churlish on a day like this, however, while Gurney's spraying of the champagne has stuck in motor racing folklore, Graham Hill apparently did it a couple of years earlier at a US sports car race. I have seen a  picture of it somewhere. Perhaps it isn't so widely recognised because the stage wasn't as big as Le Mans.

#35 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,435 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 03:45 PM

Jim/Dan at 1964 Belgian gp

Attached Files

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 15 2018 - 03:49 PM.

#36 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 04:30 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jan 15 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

Jim/Dan at 1964 Belgian gp

Of the thousands of photos I've collected from the '50s and '60s racing era for GPL, this is my favorite.

Two of the greatest drivers of all time sharing a quiet moment together.

Wish I could have been eavesdropped on their conversation.

Edited by Lee200, Jan 15 2018 - 04:34 PM.

#37 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 04:39 PM

View PostMMutch, on Jan 15 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

My heart sank when I read about Dan's passing. May he rest in peace.

It has been a bad few years with Brabham, Ligier, Amon, and now Gurney all passing away. It's saddening to think that it will only get worse as the legends from this era continue to get older.

And don't forget the loss of the great John Surtees...the only man to win the world championship on two and four wheels.  An utterly amazing accomplishment.

#38 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 08:13 PM

I'm going to drive nothing but the 67 Eagle for a year in honor of Dan.

I'll take care of it Dan.

#39 Int

Int

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 03:28 AM

Goodbye, Mister Dan Gurney...

Intruder

#40 MrDarkSide

MrDarkSide

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 06:17 AM

A brilliant, humble and kind man has left us.  The more you read about him, the more his qualities impress and inspire you. Rest in peace, Dan, yours was a life well lived.

#41 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 08:30 AM

What a shame. With Surtee's passing and some of Dan's late interviews, I suspected this day would come soon. :(

I guess he was the last American with an international presence in racing. I still think of Mario as much an Italian as an American.

I grew up reading about Gurney. I watched his work with Toyota in the 80s and 90s. I loved IMSA GTP. I thought it was incredibly cool that the Toyota Eagle's were driven by a Fangio and PJ Jones (Parnelli's son). I had a subscription to Car and Driver magazine in the late 80s and early 90s. Possibly, the most interesting thing I ever read in that magazine was an interview of Gurney. It was about GT40s and Lemans.

It's sad to see you go Dan, and I'm sure many will miss you dearly.

RIP

#42 JacnGille

JacnGille

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 09:25 AM

Sad news

#43 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,435 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 09:29 AM

Slightly off-topic.

But with Mario winning the F1 championship, back in 1978, for Lotus and as an American.

I always had an issue with that. After all his place was in the states, but his roots and heart was an Italian.

Considering, by official record, that unbelievably, no other Italian as won the F1 championship, since Ascari in 1953.

My head still says the latter as always been wrong and that distinction belongs to Mario.

TP:

#44 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 09:34 AM

It's a shame the Eagle was so unreliable. I would have liked to see how well it would have done if it could finish all the races.

Dan still has the record of an American winning a GP in his own car. That will never be beaten now.

#45 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 12:03 PM

RIP Dan.  Very sad to hear about his passing.  I knew his health hadn't been good for a while, but still a bit of a shock when I saw the news. I think he's my favorite person in racing.

View Posttwinpotter, on Jan 16 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

Slightly off-topic.

But with Mario winning the F1 championship, back in 1978, for Lotus and as an American.

I always had an issue with that. After all his place was in the states, but his roots and heart was an Italian.

Considering, by official record, that unbelievably, no other Italian as won the F1 championship, since Ascari in 1953.

My head still says the latter as always been wrong and that distinction belongs to Mario.

TP:

I can understand the sentiment, but to me, he's an American racer.  I think he was only 14 when his family immigrated to America.  He may have watched the great Italian races as a boy, but his actual driving roots are American, driving dirt and paved circle tracks in Sprints, midgets, and stock cars.  He came up an oval racer who learned to road race later on.  There's a story that he and his twin Aldo raced in a youth league called Formula Junior in Italy before coming to the states, but Mario later admitted they made that up so it sounded like they had racing experience when they started racing in America. He's an Indy car driver who converted to F1

Ironically, where he was born hasn't been a part of Italy since WW2. It became part of Yugoslavia and is now part of Croatia.  It was part of Yugoslavia when he won the WDC, so maybe he's the only Yugoslavian to win the title :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links