leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 04 2015 - 08:35 AM

There is a LEGAL site I know which has all sort of old DOS games and late nineties one. If I remember correctly there's GPL too. As I said, it is a legal and well known publicly site, but I will make my research before sharing it here

#17 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 103 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 04 2015 - 08:49 AM

I definitely agree with Saiph.  Out of respect for Bill I wouldn't upload it here just to be on the safe side.  

The timing of this thread is kind of funny though.  Last week I went to build a second test install of GPL and discovered this when I grabbed my cd:

Posted Image

I was sad to see that Sold Out no longer had GPL and a bit surprised there were no easily available iso's out there in the wild when I searched.

#18 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 04 2015 - 09:12 AM

Ebay still has GPL. Even the original big box version.

#19 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,391 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Nov 04 2015 - 09:12 AM

Okay, found it.
For reference only...here is link to the post with the GPL officially abandoned link noted earlier:

http://srmz.net/inde...=15#entry112477

Ageeing with Saiph, see no reason to wobble and shake things up around here, and no reason really for anyone to need a full version when Demo 2004 is available and all that is missing is tracks.

But, if USPTO is okay with Sierra giving up rights wonder why there would be any problem if someone somewhere else were to make the missing tracks available.

In the meantime, like to see a howto on using the Demo to get install up to current standard...graphics, tracks, mods, so no longer any need for disc.

Edited by John Woods, Nov 04 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#20 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,391 posts

Posted Dec 20 2015 - 12:35 PM

Found another obviously pirate site today that offers "Grand Prix Legends Original Tracks" download.

As I understand, it is dangerous to even get on one of these sites, (freaks me out when I do), let alone download something off of one, as you have no idea what else you are getting.

But they are out there, luring people in. Not apparent anyone is claiming rights or posting cease and desist orders.

#21 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Feb 15 2016 - 02:05 PM

I checked the CD. Even compressed the whole CD needs around 600 MB. For sure you can strip it down but I would want to have the full CD ;)

#22 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,391 posts

Posted Feb 15 2016 - 08:47 PM

Bernd, are you responding to my question on the 2016 demo thread?

#23 Gui

Gui

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Jun 09 2018 - 11:43 AM

Sorry for the massive bump but I have two issues:
1) Don't have my CD available
2) Lost my backed up .iso

Does anyone here have a disc image of their game they could share for the moment? Thanks. I know of the GPLPS Installer but I have had a couple of issues in the past with some tweaks and changes so I'd like to reinstall and update manually.

#24 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,815 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jun 09 2018 - 12:35 PM

View PostGui, on Jun 09 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

Sorry for the massive bump but I have two issues:
1) Don't have my CD available
2) Lost my backed up .iso

Does anyone here have a disc image of their game they could share for the moment? Thanks. I know of the GPLPS Installer but I have had a couple of issues in the past with some tweaks and changes so I'd like to reinstall and update manually.

See this post: http://srmz.net/inde...61

#25 Gui

Gui

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Jun 09 2018 - 01:33 PM

Thank you, guys!
:yess:

#26 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,391 posts

Posted Jun 09 2018 - 07:49 PM

Gui, sure you know the demo versions are complete and fully functional just without all the tracks?

Plus a housekeeping link to a related thread about Grand Prix Legends trademark and copyright:http://srmz.net/inde...=15#entry131521

:D

#27 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Jun 10 2018 - 08:41 AM

GPL's status is a fairly tricky one, for it's an "Abandonware".
An Abandonware, for those who don't know, it's a software that has been abandoned by its own company or creator, thus doesn't receive updates, commercial releases and technical support. It may or may not be in public domain, for it depends on when and if the creator of said software officially declares to renounce to the copyright benefits. They're a specialized case of "orphan works", where either the creator doesn't deem it to be commercially valuable anymore or is outright no longer existing.
According to the EU Directive 2012/28/EU, a work to be declared orphan must have no possible owner/creator either living or giving a care about it: if that's the case, the orphan work sees its copyright deceased and begins its public dominion regime.

So, since Sierra On-Line is now a brand under Activision and Papyrus has been outright disbanded with pieces going off to iRacing.com... well, it will be quite a mess.

BUT, since Grand Prix Legends has no commercial value to both of them, with even iRacing.com outright condemning it, we can still use the Internet Wayback Machine to download copies, since, for the Italian Copyright Law, if the work is no longer available, it must be preserved in at least a copy and digitized for the public to view and use.

So... ISOs ahoy on the Internet Archive!

ITALIAN: https://archive.org/...randPrixLegends
FRENCH: https://archive.org/..._1998_Sierra_FR
ENGLISH: https://archive.org/...G-ROM_June_1998

#28 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,391 posts

Posted Jun 10 2018 - 03:26 PM

Thanks Lord, did not know any of that except, as noted above link'd post, Activision owns the copyright and doesn't have to do anything with it or give it up for many years.

Hopefully they will let it sit.

Think anyone would have some difficulties, or at least some worry, now that Grand Prix Legends has been Grand Prix Legends for 20-years, trying to convince anyone it is no longer Grand Prix Legends.

And these legal archive links are a great find.
Downloads ahoy!

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links