#1 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 24 2009 - 09:15 AM

The wiki has been filled with some information but still a lot is missing. Driving to work I noticed that we need to add setup stuff like what is the function of the millions of settings in the setup garage and what does changing them do.

This will be the next big part.

And in my theory there must be some neutral setups which are more or less historical correct and can be used for a mod/car and be easily adjusted by gear ratio for different tracks. Just as a starter. This would be great to add too if this is possible.

Any takers, links and/or tips ?

#2 S.Beuchert

S.Beuchert

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted Apr 24 2009 - 09:34 AM

Setup guides :

Setup guide 0.91 by Niels Heusinkveld (beta)
english http://geocities.com...guide/guide.htm
german http://www.srworld.e...t.php?idart=344

GPL Addicts (under Paul's stuff)  http://gpladdicts.speedgeezers.net/

Chris Lockey's Stuff  http://www.clockey.co.uk/index.htm

some old one in german http://www.haendchen...pl/setitup.html

GPL Setup Sheets (Setup Basics) http://www.srworld.e...t.php?idart=211

something about setups by Alison Hine http://eaglewoman.rs.../gpl/setups.htm
Steve Smith's Advanced Setup Guide http://eaglewoman.rs...g/gpl/smith.htm

Blackhole's Setup Guide http://www.bhmotorsports.com/guide/44

:wave:

Edited by S.Beuchert, Apr 24 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#3 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Jun 10 2009 - 03:05 AM

Not exactly what I have in mind  :P  BUT it can be useful.

What I have in mind is typing in damper and have a single page with some pictures which tells where I can locate dampers and what influence they have.

Or if you type in rollbar a single page with pictures telling you about the rollbar location and what it does.

Or wings and the stuff.

The text from the setup gurus can then use the terms and cross link them to make it easier to understand.

#4 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Jun 12 2010 - 11:23 AM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Jun 10 2009 - 03:05 AM, said:

Not exactly what I have in mind :P BUT it can be useful.

What I have in mind is typing in damper and have a single page with some pictures which tells where I can locate dampers and what influence they have.

Or if you type in rollbar a single page with pictures telling you about the rollbar location and what it does.

Or wings and the stuff.

The text from the setup gurus can then use the terms and cross link them to make it easier to understand.

The help section in GPL Race Engineer does exactly that and it's the only reason I keep it installed as the setups modified by GPLRE seem to be only partially recognized and therefore unusable.

#5 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 12 2010 - 04:07 PM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Apr 24 2009 - 09:15 AM, said:

...And in my theory there must be some neutral setups which are more or less historical correct and can be used for a mod/car and be easily adjusted by gear ratio for different tracks. Just as a starter. This would be great to add too if this is possible.

Any takers, links and/or tips ?

Judging from published information and interviews (and many threads at RSC years ago), the real cars were changed little, if at all, from track to track during a season.  It was left to the driver to adapt to the different tracks.  So a "universal" setup for each car makes sense, especially if we seek a higher degree of realism.

Alison Hine did some "base setups" for the '67 cars which were intended to be easily adapted to any track with a minimum of tweaks;  I believe these were also "historically" based (within the limits of GPL and the data available ten years ago).  Many scoffed at these on their release, complaining that they weren't loose enough (by "alien" standards, I guess);  but for that very reason they were useful for newcomers (or the totally inept, such as I).  

From what I've read, the main point of contention for historical accuracy in setups is ride height;  GPL will allow you to run much lower heights than were practical for real cars.  Judging from cars in museums and in historic races, ground clearance of around 3-1/2" was typical at most tracks, yet many GPL setups have less than 3".  I don't know if what you see in the sim has any actual bearing on the setup parameters, but there was argument that, looking at the car from behind, the half-shafts should be parallel to the ground since, if the car sits too low, the half shafts take on an angle which, in real life, would stress the u-joints.  (My own investigation, involving highly accurate measuring equipment - the palm of my hand is about 3-1/4" across - on numerous open wheel cars of the sixties and early seventies at historic events at Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta, has yet to find a car I couldn't easily slide my hand under.)

#6 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Jun 13 2010 - 03:58 AM

You guys are digging up some old threads but this is good :)

@Percy
I checked the GPL Race engineer itself as well as the included help file. While I love some of the information and know that it would be easily transfered most of the time some car schematics are missing which show me where I can find those on a car.
Let me explain with a very easy one. Toe-in. Normally to show this at least you find two tires shown from in front or from the back and where you can see the toe-in degree. For a good explanation I would think I would also like to have a picture, schema where I can see how the heck they have managed to change the degree. Please forgive me asking such basic questions :)

@Jgf
I agree on the ride height but given my own testing for the Silverstone lesson I did, strange enough I found Alison's setups strange and I used the default one and only changing the fuel loadout.

Here are some topics which lacks some very easy to understand pictures as well as some text for beginners like me:

Tire Pressures
Wheel Rate
Bump/Rebound (Damper)
Toe-IN
Roll-Bar Stiffness
Static Ride Height
Front Brake Bias
Differential
Steering Ratio

Maybe creating different threads for each topic so that in the end we only have to transfer the information and pictures to the wiki would help :)

#7 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Jun 13 2010 - 04:37 AM

Hi Bernd :)

I have some information here about those topics, mainly taken from the GPL Foolishness site and other sources. Last year I lost a lot of information in my PC since the motherboard stopped working and that demanded to format a HD  :punish:  Among the information I lost were many emails where I saved information regarding adding articles or information to the GPL Wiki site. Would you mind to email or PM that information to me?

Thanks in advance  :thumbup:

#8 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Jun 13 2010 - 05:03 AM

Arturo,
nice to hear and I will check some of my emails and forward them to you in the time between the soccer 2010 world cup games :D You know I'm loving soccer.

#9 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Jun 13 2010 - 11:58 AM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Jun 13 2010 - 05:03 AM, said:

Arturo,
nice to hear and I will check some of my emails and forward them to you in the time between the soccer 2010 world cup games :D You know I'm loving soccer.

Problem solved !! Thank you very much Bernd !!!

I am a loving soccer too. Good luck to Germany !!! You will go far for sure !!! :clap2:  :clap2:

#10 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Jun 13 2010 - 01:26 PM

I don't know who made these so i can't give credit.
But i've found them useful in the past :)

Attached Files

#11 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,933 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Jul 08 2010 - 03:27 AM

View PostMECH, on Jun 13 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

I don't know who made these so i can't give credit.
But i've found them useful in the past :)

These are also online here:
GPL Setup Sheets (Setup Basics)
http://www.srworld.e...t.php?idart=211
(german translation done by me :)

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jul 08 2010 - 03:28 AM.

#12 SEAMAN

SEAMAN

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hello,

what i have done is a table based upon the (about) 120 well-known or admitted set-up rules (blackhole).
You can see the links between car behavior and set up parmeter on this only ONE SHEET, but this is at this time only available in french
It appears too much unreadable at first time for many simracers but if you are interested i can translate it (and there is some figures to explian and learn to use this original table.

Say me what you think about.

http://img215.images...ble1060640.jpg/

#13 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,933 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 07:06 AM

View PostSEAMAN, on Nov 06 2010 - 06:51 AM, said:

Hello,

what i have done is a table based upon the (about) 120 well-known or admitted set-up rules (blackhole).
You can see the links between car behavior and set up parmeter on this only ONE SHEET, but this is at this time only available in french
It appears too much unreadable at first time for many simracers but if you are interested i can translate it (and there is some figures to explian and learn to use this original table.

Say me what you think about.

http://img215.images...ble1060640.jpg/

Very interesting!
Too bad, that my french is not good enough anymore.
An English translation would be nice. I could do a German one.

#14 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 07:08 AM

I have scrolled to the other bitmaps which seem to explain some stuff but my french is so terrible that I could not get any sense.
This is not meant as a negative critics.
Problem is car setups are more or less a mystery for me and your french table add only to this confusion but only because I have no idea what those french words stands for.
Do you have it as a Excel/Winword/OpenOffice document because I could then use some translator to get a little more meaning into the words.

Like I said, no negative critics about the document. When someone needs to be blamed it's myself because I have lost more or less all what I have learnt about the french language.

#15 SEAMAN

SEAMAN

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 07:19 AM

So ok stef & Bernd :) , i'll begin a translation and send you my texts in order to correct them  :artist:  (english mistakes  and all you need to improve the understanding). :hat-tip:

#16 grizz

grizz

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted Nov 21 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hello SEAMAN  :rolleyes:  :D

grizzly

#17 Alter

Jochen Rindt

• Supporter
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 04 2013 - 12:53 AM

Hello to the gpl racers!
GRE showed a percentage figure of weight distribution (front/rear), but it does not work with the mod 65 cars. Setup Manager does not provide this imho essential information for a well balanced car. Did not find it anyhere. Anyone able to help?
Thank you very much.

#18 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Apr 04 2013 - 06:26 AM

This is what I found after Googling: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=6110

I hope it will help you.

Regards, Marcel

#19 Alter

Jochen Rindt

• Supporter
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 04 2013 - 09:13 AM

Great, thank you very much, thats what I f course did google myself without success.
Regards
Martin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links