#1 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 01 2010 - 05:14 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to convert P&G replays to Mpeg, divx or similar format?  :idunno:

#2 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 848 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 01 2010 - 06:23 AM

Burnsy865, on Feb 01 2010 - 05:14 AM, said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to convert P&G replays to Mpeg, divx or similar format?  :idunno:
This is off the top of my head, butI think that direct conversion is impossible.  However a commercial program called 'Fraps' will enable you to take what is best described as a 'moving screenshot' of a raplay.  It takes a great deal of memory and i have not worke out how to get a picture without the surround.  also be carefult where you leave the cursor or you will find an arrow in the middle of your capture :-(

#3 aSa

aSa

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 252 posts
  • Sim interest:P&G for GTR2

Posted Feb 02 2010 - 01:39 AM

I have tried to make few test movies with the Fraps.  Works great, but at least with my computer, it slows the framerate down noticeably when trying to do a real action movie with working instrumentation (but was still drivable after the initial shock effect passed :lol:).  Using Fraps with Replays is the way to go if you don't need the working instrumentation.

Fraps has a checkbox setting "no cursor" in the Movies section, please note that. I haven't had any problems with cursors so far (not even in still shots/screen captures, iirc).  But that may depend on how the cursor is generated. Is it a Windows supported cursor or is it internally generated (proprietary).

Movie capturing will consume a lot of hard disk space.  A fast lap around Machwerk with 906-8 or 908 will take about 6G with half size screen resolution setting (original screen resolution being 1280x1024). Then you probably would like to convert it to proper (compressed) video format, that'll need some space too :).

Direct conversion from replay files is almost impossible, because the replay data contains only technical "what's happening" info, not any video frames.  Of course if you don't mind box cars or just dots in place off them, nor scenery, then it's *possible* to create "a direct conversion" without the GTR2 Replay player function.. but there's not many finished products that I know of.

Edited by aSa, Feb 02 2010 - 01:43 AM.
&%#%#& !!

#4 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 02 2010 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Paddy and aSa  :hat-tip:  I will play around with fraps and either end up with a replay movie or whack my computer with something through frustration :P

A quick lap at Machwerk takes about 6 gig :hmm:  my quicklap at Machwerk will probably take about 20 gig  :lol:

Now if only I can remember which replay was the one I wanted  :duh:

#5 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 848 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 08 2010 - 05:17 AM

A follow up query from me, in regard to GPL replays  I can get the FRAPS result into Movie Maker, cut and join etc,  and convert to a DVD playable output with Format Factory, but I can’t get a film without the ‘surround’ that comes with replays.  
How do I make it so that the final movie shows the picture as I see it when driving (without the Pribluda bits of course) ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links