#16 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 19 2011 - 07:20 PM

Love the idea of a 64 Mod, and who knows, we may well see a "proper" mod in time....but in the meantime I've been having great fun thanks to this thread, racing the 65 cars in a 64 season created in Gem+, and using the files already published on this thread, so many thanks to Tooncheese and Royal!

I incorporated the 1964 non-championship Formula 1 races as well, for a nice full season of racing on (arguably) some of the finest circuits we have in GPL, when one considers the stunning updates currently available for Solitude, Kyalami, Goodwood et al. These were the non-championship rounds for 1964:

II Daily Mirror Trophy         Snetterton March 14
I News of the World Trophy Goodwood March 30
XIII Syracuse Grand Prix Syracuse April 12
IX Aintree 200                 Aintree         April 18
XVI BRDC International Trophy Silverstone May 2         
XIV Solitude Grand Prix Solitudering July 19         
III Mediterranean Grand Prix Pergusa         August 16
VII Rand Grand Prix         Kyalami         December 12

Purely for my own amusement, I made up a bunch of covers for the non-championship races. I'll put them up here in case anyone else feels like racing a full 18 race '64 season. Previews below :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(You'll find all these in .pbf form in the RAR below.)

OK, we've seen the Solitude one before, but this is a slightly cleaner version.

Could'nt find any original race programmes for Siracuse or Enna Pergusa from 64, so made those ones up myself...and of course we don't have Enna yet, but we know it's in the pipeline, with guys infinitely more skilful than me working on it! Meanwhile I've got Panchine standing in for Enna, which is a beautiful and fast circuit with  great flow.

As I say, just a bit of fun, but it adds an extra dimension to my enjoyment of this great sim.

It would be truly marvellous to one day have even a representative field of the genuinely competitive cars from 64, but there's other years I'd like to see as GPL mods first. Fair play to the Mod Teams, we're in the best possible hands!  :thumbup:

Attached Files

#17 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 04:14 AM

The BRM P67 was 4WD !!! Modelling it should be much difficult, I guess!, but if you're looking for something putting GPL to an absolutely different level, as with GT's, I think this is a great opportunity :)

Cheers, Marcos.

#18 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 05:38 AM

View Postmcmirande, on Sep 20 2011 - 04:14 AM, said:

The BRM P67 was 4WD !!! Modelling it should be much difficult, I guess!, but if you're looking for something putting GPL to an absolutely different level, as with GT's, I think this is a great opportunity :)

Cheers, Marcos.

The P67 was entered only once, it ran last in qualifying, and was withdrawn from the race....

Might be worth having in a Hillclimb Mod, though...  :lol:

#19 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,460 posts

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 07:28 AM

The BRM P67 was 4WD !!! Modelling it should be much difficult, I guess!,

Yes, and so was the '69 Lotus 63 which wasn't successful either.  However, we can't change GPL's physics from two to four wheel drive.

#20 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 09:13 AM

View PostLee200, on Sep 20 2011 - 07:28 AM, said:

The BRM P67 was 4WD !!! Modelling it should be much difficult, I guess!,

Yes, and so was the '69 Lotus 63 which wasn't successful either.  However, we can't change GPL's physics from two to four wheel drive.

Maybe if we weld 2 chassis' together :think:

#21 FloP

FloP

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 10:12 AM

The GPL mod team just wouldn't be the GPL mod team if you didn't find a way sooner or later! :thumbup:

#22 tooncheesef1

tooncheesef1

Hans Heyer

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F1
    Lanica

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 10:44 AM

Great job delgs  :clap2:

#23 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 01:58 PM

Well, the fact is if it's necessary to model 4WD cars if they almost did not raced. I don't know preferences of modders, but I guess it's better to invest that time in another things...

Cheers, Marcos.

#24 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,460 posts

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 03:10 PM

View PostFloP, on Sep 20 2011 - 10:12 AM, said:

The GPL mod team just wouldn't be the GPL mod team if you didn't find a way sooner or later! :thumbup:

I'm afraid those kinds of major changes to the physics code is beyond our reach.  Others such as Nigel could perhaps do that, but since he is long gone now, we'll have to live with what we've got.

That isn't all bad as we do have control over hundreds of variables to tailor the physics, but there are limits on what is possible.

For a trivial example, if you take the equation; X=2*Y, we can change the constant 2 to a 4 or any other number, but we can't change the basic equation to; X=2/Y.

Lee

#25 FloP

FloP

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 03:30 PM

That's why I said sooner or later - I've been part of this amazing community long enough to have witnessed as several impossibilities suddenly became possible. Of course, this takes extraordinary skills and probably also inspiration, but I have a feeling that someone like Guru, Nigel, Gene Fryman or brr (just to name a few) might come along and present a way to implement 4WD any day. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect this to happen now or at any specific point in time, but I won't be too surprised if it does. :)

#26 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,460 posts

Posted Sep 20 2011 - 03:41 PM

View PostFloP, on Sep 20 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

That's why I said sooner or later - I've been part of this amazing community long enough to have witnessed as several impossibilities suddenly became possible. Of course, this takes extraordinary skills and probably also inspiration, but I have a feeling that someone like Guru, Nigel, Gene Fryman or brr (just to name a few) might come along and present a way to implement 4WD any day. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect this to happen now or at any specific point in time, but I won't be too surprised if it does. :)

Well ever since Nigel left I've said we need a 16 year old hacker.   :)

So if there is someone out there like that, we'd love to hear from him/her.   :D

Lee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links