garyhensley

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 04 2014 - 11:59 AM

Love this mod and GPL in general.  So much fun for an old game!

I'm trying to build a "pretend" F3 season for 1964 using the F2 mod and their trainers.  Why? Because I want to.  Driving underpowered cars that require more finess and driver skill is fun.

I know the F2 mod engines are 1.6 litre engines.  If I want to replicate a F3 season with a 1 litre engine, should I use the Advanced Trainer or the Basic trainer?

I like the Advanced physics, but not sure if the engine is accurate.  I've messed with both of them and can't make up my mind.  The basic has a 4 speed gear box and engine feels right (reminds me of a Formula Ford), but the physics are not as good.  The advanced has a 5 speed with a "screamer" engine that feels a little to close to the F2 engine size, but the car physics seems better.

Love to hear your opinions.  Thanks.

Edited by garyhensley, Apr 04 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#2 David Wright Lo67

David Wright Lo67

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL and P&G
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 04 2014 - 12:08 PM

Its a very long time ago but from memory, the advanced trainers in the 65 mod approximated 65 F2 and the trainers 65 F3.

#3 garyhensley

garyhensley

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Apr 04 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostDavid Wright Lo67, on Apr 04 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Its a very long time ago but from memory, the advanced trainers in the 65 mod approximated 65 F2 and the trainers 65 F3.

I like that mod as well.  I figured that and may give that route a try as well.  I like the F2 car set though.  Maybe I'll figure out how to mix and match the cars to get something accurate.

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,260 posts

Posted Apr 04 2014 - 01:50 PM

You can see the power and rpm of the trainers in the GPL Setup Manager.  Just select the engine you want to look at.  Here are the results.  I was looking at the idea of different widely varying car classes in a Le Mans race on VROC.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mod AT BT comparisons.jpg

#5 garyhensley

garyhensley

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Apr 04 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on Apr 04 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

You can see the power and rpm of the trainers in the GPL Setup Manager.  Just select the engine you want to look at.  Here are the results.  I was looking at the idea of different widely varying car classes in a Le Mans race on VROC.

Dang.  Why didn't I think of that!  Thanks Bob.

#6 Frank_Mueller

Frank_Mueller

---

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Racing Sims

Posted Apr 05 2014 - 04:25 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on Apr 04 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

I always miss the ThunderCars in such comparison. Have you some infos about them, too?

#7 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Apr 05 2014 - 04:55 AM

Fabulous chart, Bob!  TYVM for posting.

#8 David Wright Lo67

David Wright Lo67

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL and P&G
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 05 2014 - 05:46 AM

Just a warning when looking at the 65 mod power outputs.  They were set that high because we could not change the 67 F1 transmission losses, which were very high for high revving engines like the 65s.  Power at the wheels is correct.  I'm assuming that since the 67 F2 mod outputs are "correct", the transmission losses issue was fixed by that time.

Edited by David Wright Lo67, Apr 05 2014 - 05:49 AM.

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,260 posts

Posted Apr 05 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostFrank_Mueller, on Apr 05 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

I always miss the ThunderCars in such comparison. Have you some infos about them, too?

From the top speeds of the BT and AT Thunder Cars, it looks like they're pretty similar to the CanAm71 cars, which I think is what they were the sort of test bed for.  TC Std car = 660 hp at 7000 rpm - CanAm71 Std cars 650 (avg) at 7000 rpm (avg)

#10 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 12:20 PM

Nice chart Bob! And good info as well on the makings of the 65 mod. Now to match some outputs to some series! Nice to know what is the least powered cars to use as the 'ultimate trainer' car :) 64 F2 would be a good introduction to 65s.. I'm thinking Jackie Stewart's route into F1 for 1965.

#11 Frank_Mueller

Frank_Mueller

---

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Racing Sims

Posted Apr 10 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on Apr 05 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

View PostFrank_Mueller, on Apr 05 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

From the top speeds of the BT and AT Thunder Cars, it looks like they're pretty similar to the CanAm71 cars, which I think is what they were the sort of test bed for.  TC Std car = 660 hp at 7000 rpm - CanAm71 Std cars 650 (avg) at 7000 rpm (avg)
Thanks Bob,
i like the ThunderCars AT to drive cars like F5000. I want to know how much power they have to know how good this matches.

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,260 posts

Posted Apr 10 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostFrank_Mueller, on Apr 10 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Thanks Bob,
i like the ThunderCars AT to drive cars like F5000. I want to know how much power they have to know how good this matches.

If the Can Am 71 cars are similar, and since the top speeds are almost the same it seems certain, it looks like the TC ATs have 450 hp and the TC BTs have 320 hp.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links