mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 23 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hello!
I'm currently racing the fantastic F2 mod in Mybroga league. I have to say that this mod is the best I drove, and such a difference is given especially by two things: very good default setups and ESPECIALLY the great tyre model. Actually I haven´t drive too much the 66 or 69 mods, but I feel tyres of F2 cars as real tyres, giving an incredible sense of driving.
And I'm wondering something I guess several guys have asked: Would be possible to do an alternative version of original F1-67 cars with the tyre model of the F2 (or something derived from it)? I think 67 cars are the best of all by their relationships between power, weight and grip... but I think they can even improved with a more realistic tyre modelling. It's noticeable that most of hard work was already (and fantastically) done!

Cheers, and THANKS for such a FANTASTIC mod!!

Marcos.

#2 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Mar 09 2012 - 10:07 AM

I agree the tire model is the best yet for GPL.  I've noticed I can feel and hear the front tires scuffling across the tarmac as they fight for grip on slower corners.  I haven't experienced that in the same way in GPL before.  Nice Work!  :thumbup:

As for a 67 mod, there was once going to be project to have a 67 mod, kind of like the 69x mod is for the original 69 mod. But I've seen it said several times that project is dead.  It was always a hot button topic in GPL as a sizable portion of the community wanted the originals left alone, mostly because how it might effect GPL Rank.

Dave

#3 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted Mar 09 2012 - 10:25 AM

Maybe a complete 68 mod could approximate a revised 67 carset in power/grip relationship.

This was discussed just today in the forum. It's interesting to note that most of the work (I guess) was already done, because among original cars and some 69x cars, some from the F2 mod and tyre modelling of the latter, plus Irridux graphical 68 carset, there's not much to add.

Edited by mcmirande, Mar 09 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#4 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Mar 09 2012 - 11:57 AM

I wld rather go for a 67 X , with a separate GPL Rank

#5 Arno

Arno

Cevert 73

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:GPL of course and GoKart

Posted Mar 09 2012 - 12:09 PM

I vote for a 67X mod like Needforspeed  :thumbup:

#6 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted Mar 09 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Mar 09 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

I wld rather go for a 67 X , with a separate GPL Rank

YES Me too!! I just said that as a compromise solution considering the people that don't like to modify original cars. For me would be GREAT to have a 67x with separate rank!

#7 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Climbing, Mountaineering and Armchair Polar Exploration.
    Photography.
    Growing Vegetables.
    Cacti and Alpines (tough survivors).

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 12:34 PM

This topic has come and gone so many times that it is now right to have a 67X as long as the modders are willing and generous to devote thier very precious peronal time to the task.   Please.
I never drive the original 67 anymore the mods are sooooo much better.  Many thanks to everyone that has contibuted over the years. :wave: :thumbup: :clap2: :thumbup: :clap2: :thumbup: :clap2: :thumbup: :clap2:

#8 richard cooke

richard cooke

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 04:44 PM

There is no new tire model, we test a lot of tweaks to the original to get a new feel.  To do a new 67x mod would take a huge amount of work because everyone would want it right, and everyone has a different idea of what is right.  The reality is that to do this would mean that two other mods would not get done.

Richard

#9 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yes let's drop years of work invested in numerous mods for the benefit of a mod of the original year.   :blink:

Errr, no let's not. As richard mentioned it takes a sh.tload of time getting proper physics. The reason the F2 are so enjoyable is the efford of richard, the people that tested it and the fact that F2's have less power. It's  not a matter of taking these physics and crank up the power.

But no one is saying it won't happen. You just need to find some people willing to spend their sparse freetime on getting this mod going.

#10 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 06:16 PM

Well, I guess the only thing in which I could help is as a test driver and to collaborate on default setups.
If you need some help on that (or another thing you consider)... here I'm.

Cheers, Marcos.

#11 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 07:01 PM

Well there is a 67x in development. It started life as 67 Monaco mod that Tommie and I worked on which would have included all the cars that ran at Monaco, but we decided to extend it to the whole season.
The biggest part of any GPL mod is the car models and fortunately most of them are already available from GPLEA and other mods.

Then I had a year away from GPL and Tommie has dissapeared so the mod has been shelved. But recently Marco ( Irridux ) contacted me so maybe we will get a little team together and develop it further.

But dont hold your breath :)

These are the cars/physics slots we included in the working mod so far :-

Brabham BT20
Brabham BT11
Brabham BT24
BRM P83
BRM P261
Cooper T81 66
Cooper T81 66A
Eagle T1G
Eagle T1F
Ferrari 246
Ferrari 312 66
Ferrari 312 67
Lotus 25 BRM
Lotus 33 Climax
Lotus 33 BRM
Lotus 43
Mclaren M2B
Mclaren M4B
Honda RA273
Honda RA301

That is already 20 physics slots and there are still some cars missing so its not complete.
The physics would also need months of testing.

paul

Edited by paul skingley, Mar 10 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#12 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 10:34 PM

What a good new, Paul!

Well, good luck and let me (us, I guess) know if you need something.

Marcos.

#13 oppolo

oppolo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted Mar 29 2012 - 02:20 PM

View Postpaul skingley, on Mar 10 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

Well there is a 67x in development. It started life as 67 Monaco mod that Tommie and I worked on which would have included all the cars that ran at Monaco, but we decided to extend it to the whole season.

Good to read this  :hat-tip:
( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=7387 )

#14 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted Mar 29 2012 - 02:50 PM

I'm noting you tried the same, Oppolo, hehe.

A new 67mod with some of the great experience gained with other mods would be even better than the original 67 cars. They would probably be the best cars in any simulator... but it's reasonable too that having so many cars to do it's a mayn unjustified to invest that time re-doing something that already exists and it's fantastic...

#15 oppolo

oppolo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted Mar 29 2012 - 07:12 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Mar 29 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

I'm noting you tried the same, Oppolo, hehe.

A new 67mod with some of the great experience gained with other mods would be even better than the original 67 cars. They would probably be the best cars in any simulator... but it's reasonable too that having so many cars to do it's a mayn unjustified to invest that time re-doing something that already exists and it's fantastic...
i see with pleasure that the idea is still alive in many of us but overall in modders' mind. F2 is released, next should be the CanAm and then... ?:unsure:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links