• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 26 2017 - 10:52 PM

"But having a special series for women only?  Why not have an age-graded series for elderly people?"... :D..

Thank you Bob, I really like it ! :thumbup:

#17 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Jul 27 2017 - 09:30 AM

When I was the photographer at Shenington karting there were a few girls/ladies as quick as any of the male drivers.

#18 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jul 27 2017 - 01:57 PM

10 times women behind the wheel, and finally a man :P

http://www.upcoming....chter-het-stuur

#19 snebka

snebka

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Lot of sports, mainly F1 (most the era 1950-1980), Geography, playing games ...

Posted Aug 02 2017 - 12:34 PM

It will be tough to see female driver in F1. And even tougher to find some female which will be competitive with other drivers. If i'm not wrong for all existence of motorsport only two woman was really on the level with men. You have already spoken about Michele Mouton. Second i think was Eliska Junkova. She won 1927 German GP on Nürburgring (in her class). Same year she competed in THE Targa Florio. She held fantastic second place behind Campari before retirement (in competition with drivers like Fagioli, Campari and Maserati). She was very famous in Czechoslovakia after her return. Next year she drived her Bugatti 35 on Targa Florio again. That year was competition even bigger - Campari, Fagioli, Dreyfus, Nuvolari. Fourth after first lap, first in second lap. Sadly then water pump broke down. Still she after short repair continued and finished fifth. After race winner of the event Albert Divo  went to congratulate for her performance. Later that year her husband Čeněk Junek died on Nürburgring (first victim of Green Hell) and Eliška ended with racing. But she still loved racing and motorsport and thanks to her few years later was born Masaryk Circuit in Brno :)

Interview with Eliska about Targa Florio 1928
https://www.youtube....h?v=NJGI9or_w80

Edited by snebka, Aug 03 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#20 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing

Posted Aug 03 2017 - 01:59 AM

I bought this book some years ago: https://www.amazon.c... racing drivers which is a very interesting read. Likewise this book: https://www.amazon.c...3JN5MD52ZYP61R1 also tells the life story of another successful female racing driver.

Rob

#21 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music

Posted Aug 03 2017 - 03:59 AM

Thank you very much Andy, Robert, Snebka and Border Reiver !!! :thumbup:
With you, I have a little bit more the impression to live in a 21th century less obscure... :rolleyes:...

#22 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Aug 04 2017 - 12:42 AM

@Michkov

Here's your citation.

http://www.iihs.org/...ityfacts/gender

Men drive more miles but make a lot of smaller mistakes, women drive less miles, but in turn they fubar the cars (or kill themselves or others) way more often, when counting the same number of accidents.
I don't mean to berate female drivers, but plopping them into the same category as men would be a mess: men would either slow themselves down (instincts of chivalry, anybody?) or the women would put their foot on the metal taking too many risks to prove they're "worth something". This is the reason why people like De Filippis, Divina Gallica and such have ultimately failed: the sex difference is the main drive of "trying too hard", thus it brings frustration and unfocusness to the female driver. And, as we all know, an unfocused/frustrated driver is hundreds of times more dangerous than Maldonado could ever be.
Of course there's always the exception, but it's really a rare thing.

Edited by Lord, Aug 04 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#23 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Aug 04 2017 - 08:51 AM

Sort of way off-topic but maybe close enough...

Shayna Texter winning AMA Flat Track race 2013

:D

#24 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Aug 04 2017 - 03:22 PM

The quote below is copy pasted from Lords link, highlights by me

Many more men than women die each year in motor vehicle crashes. Men typically drive more miles than women and more often engage in risky driving practices including not using safety belts, driving while impaired by alcohol, and speeding. Crashes involving male drivers often are more severe than those involving female drivers. Li, G.; Baker, S.P.; Langlois, J.A.; and Kelen, G.D. 1998. Are female drivers safer? An application of the decomposition method. Epidemiology 9:379-84. However, females are more likely than males to be killed or injured in crashes of equal severity, although gender differences in fatality risk diminish with age. Kahane, C.J. 2013. Injury vulnerability and effectiveness of occupant protection technologies for older occupants and women. Report no. DOT HS-811-766. Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Both men and women traveled more miles in 2008 than in 1995, but the percentage increase in miles traveled was greater for women (13 percent) than for men (8 percent). The rate of fatal crashes per 100 million miles of travel decreased 24 percent between 1995 and 2008 for both male and female drivers. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. 2013. [Unpublished analysis of data from the US Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System and the National Household Travel Survey]. Arlington, VA.

The following facts are based on analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS).

Posted November 2016.

My reading comprehension may be a bit dodgy atm, but as far as I understand this is saying females are more fragile than man, but not that they drive less responsible or more aggressive.

#25 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted Aug 04 2017 - 04:59 PM

Michkov !!! What a class... :hat-tip:...And thank you very much also John...

I would like to add first : this topic started by Twinpotter was concerning only professional drivers. And nobody else. So, why try to compare when a comparison is impossible.
Everybody knows that the great majority of the rapers are men... And nobody will say that all men need to stay in jail because they are too dangerous at large... But perhaps it could be a reasonable idea... Who knows... :rolleyes:
And secondly, I will add something either also a little bit off-topic, but so speaking...
https://youtu.be/bh_8zoWlRxo

^_^

#26 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,242 posts

Posted Aug 04 2017 - 07:09 PM

As db312 says…

This is where people’s prejudices shine.  If you’re talking insurance risks or traffic statistics, one can generalize, but you can mis-use those stats to stop people of that gender/race/nationality/religion/sex doing things.

There’s a guy in my neighbourhood who has had an accident every month.  He’s a man, so let’s assume that all men are terrible drivers, right?

Sabine Schmitz is a great Nurburgring driver, so let’s assume that all women can drive fast, right?

Wrong.

#27 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Aug 05 2017 - 12:53 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on Aug 04 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

As db312 says…

This is where people’s prejudices shine.  If you’re talking insurance risks or traffic statistics, one can generalize, but you can mis-use those stats to stop people of that gender/race/nationality/religion/sex doing things.

There’s a guy in my neighbourhood who has had an accident every month.  He’s a man, so let’s assume that all men are terrible drivers, right?

Sabine Schmitz is a great Nurburgring driver, so let’s assume that all women can drive fast, right?

Wrong.
Nicely said Bob :thumbup:  We don't speak much about drag racing here but there was this lady by the name of "Shirley Muldowney" who kicked serious butt in the AA/FD class. AA fuel dragsters with over 2000 horsepower and a parachute for brakes down a quarter mile track at over 200 M.P.H. in 6 seconds. She was the first woman to ever win not one but three motorsport championships and all her opponents were men !

Here are her accomplishments:  
  • In 1975, she was voted the first woman member of the ten-person Auto Racing All-American team by the American Auto Racing Writers and Broadcasters Association.
  • In 1976, she was named Drag News Top Fuel Driver of the Year and voted to the Auto Racing All-American Team for the second time.
  • In 1977, she won the NHRA Winston world points championship, becoming the first woman to claim drag racing's most prestigious title. Recipient of "Outstanding Achievement Award" from the United States House of Representatives on October 14, 1977. Named Drag News Top Fuel Driver of the Year for the second straight season. Named Car Craft Magazine Person of the Year during the annual Car Craft Awards Banquet, Indianapolis, Indiana. First Top Fuel driver to win three NHRA national events back-to-back.
  • 1980 Won NHRA Winston world points championship for the second time.
  • 1981 Won AHRA world championship. Voted to Auto Racing All-American team for the fifth time. Voted Car Craft Magazine All-Star Team, Top Fuel Driver of the Year, for the second year in a row.
  • 1982 Won NHRA Winston points championship, becoming the first person to claim drag racing's most prestigious title three times. Voted to Auto Racing All-American Team for the fifth time.
  • In 1990, she was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America.
  • In 2001, she was ranked number 5 on the National Hot Rod Association's 50th Anniversary list of its Top 50 Drivers, 1951-2000.[15]
  • In 2004, she was inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame.
Skill and talent have no prejudices,either you have them or you don't .People on the other hand ...  https://youtu.be/cEccfDQUVNE

Edited by marco lenarduzzi, Aug 05 2017 - 01:40 AM.

#28 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted Aug 05 2017 - 04:54 AM

Thank you Bob !!! And thank you Marco !!! I did not know this surprising champion of drag racing...
I suppose that the list of "exceptions" is still longer...

As a reminder, the link of the video that I posted upper is about the most incredible aerobatic pilot of all the time...
Svetlana Kapanina, 39 world titles... It's unique. No comparison at all. And she's not the only one !
The list of great pilot who were women is consequent during all the history of the aviation ! No "exceptions" in that case...

Edited by db312, Aug 05 2017 - 04:54 AM.

#29 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Aug 05 2017 - 02:45 PM

It was easy to find this link: Top Ten Women Drivers

Notice #10 Denise McCluggage won some GP race weekend women's only races.

If any driver qualified for a license, tested well, and paid the price, they could get a seat?

#30 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Aug 05 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Aug 04 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Sort of way off-topic but maybe close enough...

Shayna Texter winning AMA Flat Track race 2013

:D
Thanks for this great video John. I enjoyed that !!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links