• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#16 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 04 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostCookie, on Apr 04 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

Just copied the gplsecrets and GPL folders of my Windows XP install into the home folder of Kubuntu

Thanks for the info. All I've tried is running GPL from the windows partition and it runs but poorly. I may start trying to get this working better myself. GPL is about the only reason I use windows. I've been running dual boot machines since GPL was new. I started with Redhat back in the late 90's, went to Mandrake that turned into Mandriva, then Ubuntu and recently started using Linux Mint. I've never really looked into configuring Wine but I assumed it had something to do with the lousy performance on my machine. After reading about the problems with force feedback I decided it wasn't worth my time but if I learn anything about GPL on Linux, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks for the links Roberto. I'll check them in the future.

Linux is much easier on your computer too. My cpu seems to run about 5C cooler with Linux. I also wonder if it is easier on other parts. I just recently upgraded a ten year old hard drive that was working fine. It needed to be repartitioned but I figured I might as well get a serial drive and quit using this old IDE drive.

#17 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 06 2014 - 02:49 AM

My next steps

For the gameplay I run with Kubuntu into a dead end, as it works on- and offline but without FFB.
The FFB is active and can be configured but when I start GPL it is not used.

Now I found sparkylinux-3.2-x86_64-gameover (3,9GB) a distribution made for gamers and it has the goodies we need allready onboard!

I installed it on a small 120GB laptop S-ATA HD in my server PC with a root + swap + home partition.
The GPL install was copied from the XP HD into  Wine/c:
Next was the GEM+ install into the Wine filesystem, the trick to delete the gem.ini helped to make it run.
GEM works as if it is on a win system, after the configuration it runs as usual.
As the new RoadAtlanta71 track is new, I had to install it and it worked fine without problem.

The trick for the server is to run GPL in a window...
For Windows you have to set the whole WinXP/7 to 256 colors!
In Linux you just make Wine run in a (800x600) window in the graphics settings :up:

Next step will be to test sparkylinux on a gaming PC and find a solution for GPL with FFB !!!

to be continued...

#18 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Apr 06 2014 - 01:49 PM

I reached the same point in my laptop (an i7 with integrated HD4000 "card") running Manjaro (an Arch-based distro) with Xfce as graphic environment. With Gnome I probably had to run it in a windows as you, but in Xfce it works without problems.

But... if you could FFB work... that would be a BIG DEAL.

Thanks, Marcos.

#19 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted Apr 06 2014 - 04:25 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Apr 06 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

With Gnome I probably had to run it in a windows as you, but in Xfce it works without problems.

In Sparky it runs fullscreen and windowed!

For the server it is better to have it in a window so you can control the peripherals ;)

#20 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Apr 06 2014 - 07:56 PM

Ahh, OK. I missed that you was speaking about servers...

#21 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted Jun 04 2014 - 06:07 AM

Good news, I hope...

http://community.spe...c.php?f=7&t=594

#22 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Jun 04 2014 - 07:18 AM

:up: :up:

Will read it. Thanks!

#23 bart

bart

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted Jun 12 2014 - 01:43 AM

Something totally different but still Linux-related that I noticed just yesterday;
I totally forgot that Windows isn't case-sensitive like Linux, and by coincidence I noticed a lot of duplicate files in some track directories when installing addons... :gaah:

So to make sure all the necessary files are being overwritten / replaced I now use these 2 commands to check for duplicate file names, and than convert them to lowercase:

Check file names:
find . -maxdepth 2 -printf "%p\n" | sort -f | uniq -di

- maxdepth determines how 'deep' the search goes (subdirectories)
- printf %p prints the whole file path

Convert to lowercase:
convmv -r --lower --notest *

- default, convmv only shows the possible changes. Use --notest to actually perform those changes
- use --upper to convert to uppercase

#24 willevans

willevans

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:flight sim, gpl, piano

Posted Nov 26 2014 - 12:11 AM

I prefer to use GPL in wine because it just seems to run much better than in windows or virtualbox but GEM failed to run.

In case it is of use to anyone I found that changing my wine configuration from windows7 to windows xp fixed the problem.
I now have everything running in Linux.
One minor problem is that when starting GPL from GEM, using ESC to get back to your options takes ages (like a minute)
but after that first time it starts to operate as normal.

Regards Pete

#25 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Nov 26 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Pete!

Could you make Force Feedback run on Linux? It was the point in which I abandoned my previous attempt...

Cheers, Marcos.

EDIT... Don't remember having tried the solution in the link provided by Cookie... If I remember well, it worked only on Ubuntu (and not in my Arch)

Edited by mcmirande, Nov 26 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#26 willevans

willevans

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted Nov 26 2014 - 09:57 PM

Haven't tried to get FF working yet.

Just as a small update on my previous post about getting GEM running. While it does work there are issues
so I am now using it do the changes I need then exit and start gpl seperately.

Not ideal but the only trouble free option I have at the moment.

Of course I could just go back to running in virtualbox. May have another look at that later as it does appear to
run ok in virtualbox but I haven't tested it properly as yet.

[update]
virtualbox - Everything runs as it should if use vbox in fullscreen but the performance is not the best so back to wine for me.

Regards

Edited by willevans, Nov 26 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#27 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Nov 27 2014 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Marcos,

#28 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Dec 08 2014 - 01:31 PM

I was trying again (not FFB though).

I discovered that it works rather good on Mate desktop, even with 60fps patch (on my laptop with integrated graphic card), but only when no car is close to me. In full-grid starts fps go down to 20-25 (when on Windows I have about 50).

Also I noticed some momentary "freezes", as if the computer were using some resources in other operations while I'm on GPL. I think windows directs all resources to games when running, but apparently wine/Linux doesn't (at least as default). I think some config of wine could help here, but I don't know which...

Other thing I noticed is that the graphic rendering on Linux is far better than in windows. Everything is more briliant and shiny :)

If somebody know how to assign more resources to wine/GPL, would be great to know it.

Cheers, Marcos.

#29 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Dec 08 2014 - 02:31 PM

Two issues are still pendant, in addition to FFB

1) Menus and replays are too slow under opengl. I don't know if somebody got a solution to that.
2) Online racing is not possible... Or at least I did not manage to make it work.

#30 willevans

willevans

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted Dec 08 2014 - 10:30 PM

I have everything working well under wine so I don't know what to suggest. Maybe make sure nothing else is running might help. Latest version of Wine is probably best (though occasionally it can break something). Another possibilty may be the 60fps patch, I don't use it as I use the AI mostly and I have heard reports the AI and 60fps patch don't play nicely.

I haven't tested online. I did install igor and vroc though and they do connect up ok but I have not tried to join a race.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links