Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:trying to download the various other seasons and relevant tracks
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hi,

My name is Andrew Hutchinson and I'm trying to learn to right foot brake.

I rediscovered GPL about three weeks ago and my mind is still blown at the amount of work that community members have undertaken. It is truly amazing. A tip of the hat to everyone involved.

Now the issue I'm having in the ADC is that I can't post to speedgeezers which makes it hard to apologize or even introduce myself to the people I am racing against. The issue must be that I hurriedly  typed in the wrong email address or something along those lines because I can't get my account operable. The forum says it is validated and that the email is sent to my account but I can't find it anywhere in any folder in any account. My hope in posting here is that perhaps Bob Simpson or Tom Johnston(sp) might see this and be able to contact me and override whatever the issue is. There is a contact link but it seems to want to invoke microsoft to do microsoft stuff rather than just giving me an email to contact. That or it could be more Win 10 that I need to learn.

Other than that I'm really enjoying racing against other people. I'm pretty slow especially with the computer and that has meant I missed last Wednesday's ADC at Bremgarten. In fact I only figured out iGor with about 6 mins to go in practice on Friday. To the person who passed me with a couple minutes to go in the session I apologize if I balked your Q lap - it was my second lap ever at Bremgarten and I was still learning where to duck and hide. Tonigh'ts '71 CAN-AM race was much the same. The 19 laps I completed were my first in CAN-AM and first at Brainerd.  I only got it downloaded with enough time to create a player and for some reason it gave me a Mclaren rather than a Porsche, so I was pretty surprised at turn one! I made one pass and promptly spun off in front of them half a lap later. I also probably own David Fletcher an apology - I misjudged his closing speed between T1-T2  two laps from the end and when I got the blue approaching T2 I wasn't where I wanted to be in order to let him through nicely. In the end I just drove off the circuit - which solved the problem somewhat - but I'll do better next time out to pick a side early.
Bit of a ramble.

Cheers,

Andrew Hutchinson

#2 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jun 22 2017 - 07:28 AM

If you opened the account with the wrong email address. Why not open another account with the right email?

#3 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,243 posts

Posted Jun 22 2017 - 08:19 AM

I saw you at the track last night!  Welcome to ADC.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think almost all of us at ADC and definitely all at LoPeN on Thursdays, don't take it too seriously, unless bad behaviour is intentional (which never happens).  Online racing is much more difficult than real life racing in terms of seeing other drivers and getting into or out of the way.  Don't worry too much about it.

Holy Cow - I just counted that there were 47 new forum members yesterday alone.  There must be a lot of Spam accounts opening every day!

I'm not an admin in terms of membership at Speedgeezers, but what username did you use there? Ah, I see that you're Andrew Hutchinson there.  I'll contact Tom to see what he can do.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Jun 22 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,243 posts

Posted Jun 22 2017 - 08:44 AM

Oh, and I right foot brake but I always recommend using something that gives more resistance on the brake pedal.  I use a load cell for the G25/G27 from http://www.apelectrix.com/index.html

You might be able to rig up some kind of ball or rubber/foam thing to help sense when the braking is approaching locking.  It's important to blip the throttle while braking and down-shifting so that the rear tires don't lock up.

#5 TomJ

TomJ

ADC Director

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:All forms of racing

Posted Jun 22 2017 - 02:02 PM

Unfortunately I don't have that level of admin rights to approve members, but I'll try to find out who does.

#6 ASH

ASH

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Jun 22 2017 - 09:15 PM

The main reason I haven't started a new membership is that I more or less applied 1.5 times. Something didn't go through right the first time so I tried something else and ended up with a membership but not knowing how to access it. I figure if I do anything else I'll screw it up more. Now that I'm here  I can at least have a way to communicate.

I'm thinking about rigging something up with rubber stoppers for the brake but I haven't gotten around to it. In traffic , when most of my lazy reference points are underneath other cars or I can't hear what the tyres are doing, I revert back to left foot braking. In the first race I did tonight I was able to RFB most all of the way - but I had a trouble free race all by myself. The second one had me on my roof for twenty seconds at the start. Thereafter I was mostly LFB. The good thing was I got to work on my blipping. I do it for fast or high-reving turn in points but I 'd largely ignored it for big stoops since I usually DS late in the order. I'm going to keep playing at it. I'm no good at blipping with my pedals where they are using my right foot but with the left foot it makes me feel a little better.

Thanks for the tips.

Andrew Hutchinson

#7 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:GPL, of course!

Posted Jun 22 2017 - 09:18 PM

Andrew:

I've gone in and approved your application - see if you can get into the ADC forum now. If you can't, please let me know.

And as for the race the other night, you really didn't cause me any problem, so no apology necessary :-) As Bob said, like Lopen, we don't take this too seriously in the ADC. Just come out and enjoy yourself.

Glad you have re-discovered GPL. It really has changed over the years!

Fletch

#8 JCarvalho

JCarvalho

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 99 posts

Posted Jun 22 2017 - 09:46 PM

Glad to have you joining in the fun, Andrew. I left foot brake. Are you trying to learn heel-and-toe? Good luck and enjoy. I have a stock G25 pedal set; so I tend to brake earlier than most in most corners.

#9 Int

Int

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted Jun 22 2017 - 10:31 PM

I don't know if it can help but I remember, in the past, I tried to register to a forum (with a hotmail address) but never got back the validation e-mail. I tried many times and many things (new account, cookies, firewall, and so on...) but it was still not working... :huh:  So I decided to try with another (new) e-mail address, but a G-mail one this time and...bingo! I got my "registration link" to validate my account directly!!! :D

Maybe this little story will give a direction to search for... ;)
Good luck!

Intruder

#10 ASH

ASH

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Jun 23 2017 - 06:46 PM

Thanks guys, my account works now. Turns out I typed it out correctly so must have been something else with my settings.

I'm working towards heel-and-toe but right now I'm just touching the throttle when I down shift. I tried a clutch button on the steering wheel but that's too hard and I'm not sure I was doing much anyways. It could all be in my head anyways.

Cheers,

Andrew

#11 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Jun 25 2017 - 12:24 PM

couple things...
there is a Comment about validation here:http://srmz.net/index.php?showforum=182
but if someone needs vaidation you can PM me, or email me (bobruce@comcast.net)

the auto validation was stopped when (as Bob S mentioned above) there are 100's of spam attempts made and after the hack a couple years back Bill C, just about shut the whole thing down due to the level of seriousness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links