Druid9

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 17 2018 - 07:12 PM

My GPL rig is on my laptop, and I have a large screen and Logitech Wheel connected when I use it at home.

Sometimes I might want to use GPL without the wheel, even if only to view replays or to check out any upgrades I might have done offsite.

When I enter GPL without the wheel connected, everything grinds to a halt, and GPL is unusable, I think the laptop is searching for the wheel. Is there any solution to this?

Just getting back into it after a number of years away and loving it all over again.

#2 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Oct 17 2018 - 08:17 PM

When the calibration screen comes up just click OK. It will then ask "discard all changes" click OK. Then hit the esc (escape) key.

#3 Druid9

Druid9

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Oct 17 2018 - 09:58 PM

Thanks, Warren, but it never gets that far. It's a bit weird. CPU usage goes through the ceiling, laptop fans spin their heads off and I look at an hourglass for several minutes. After a while I can click, but it takes forever to get to the next screen.

With the wheel plugged in everything is snappy.

#4 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Oct 17 2018 - 10:29 PM

Maybe a second driver with the inputs configured using only the keyboard would work as a workaround. You can switch players in GEM, so if you select KB Driver before starting GPL that may work.

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,456 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Oct 18 2018 - 01:39 AM

Hi Druid9

Don't know if this will help. I used to have something similar, where I used a wheel, but if I wanted to check something or have a quick drive, I used a gamepad, so I had seperate ini  controller files, for both wheel and gamepad.
So it was a simple swap by setting up both controllers individually. Then copy both ini files, save somewhere safe and later copy paste your appropriate ini file inside GPL directory, depending on what control you intended to use.

I'm not near my pc and I haven't done it for awhile. But from memory, after calibrating your controllers and saving the ini's, look in the GPL file directory, wherever the game is installed. If I remember the controller ini is in the driver name file or a save file ? Can't quite remember exactly.

Copy and paste your appropriate and saved ini file into that file and let overwrite.

Plug in your control method and hopefully all should be good.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Oct 18 2018 - 01:40 AM.

#6 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 18 2018 - 03:23 AM

Agreed with TP, I do the same with controller config file (so don't have to deal with re-calibrating if something went wrong). The file is called "controls.cfg" and located in "players\yourname". Just backup it and rename it, next time you enter GPL, game will ask to calibrate again (hopefully no more game hanging?).

Also Warren's method spot on, click OK > hit ESC > click OK, and you have bypassed calibration entirely.

#7 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Oct 18 2018 - 04:03 AM

Do you use GPLShift? I use it with my G25 wheel, and I have two gplshift.ini configuration files. One is set up to use the wheel and configure the buttons, the other is set up for no wheel. When I switch controllers, I just do "copy gplshift_wheel.ini gplshift.ini" or "copy gplshift_nowheel.ini gplshift.ini" and then start GEM. That works fine for me.

#8 Druid9

Druid9

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Oct 18 2018 - 04:22 AM

Will try all of these when I am at home with the wheel, and report back of course, thanks for the suggestions guys

#9 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,456 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Oct 18 2018 - 11:01 AM

What I forgot to add and adding to SV3000's solution.

Each control.cfg that I save, for each controller, I save somewhere safe, on my PC. I then make two dir folders. One named gamepad (for that cfg file) and the other for the wheel in a dir folder labelled wheel. So that I don't get confused on which cfg is which. Then just copy paste the appropriate one into the GPL,Player, Your Name folder, depending on which control you are using.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Oct 18 2018 - 11:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links