4 replies to this topic

#1 Daveyraveygravey

Daveyraveygravey

Bob Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted Apr 01 2009 - 10:14 AM

I tend to just soften things up, can anyone give me a refresher on the best things to do?  I wil be driving the Elan at a wet Imola in the next couple of weeks.

#2 eliandi

eliandi

P&G Writer

• GTLW Crew
  • 37 posts
  • Sim interest:P&G for GTR2

Posted Apr 01 2009 - 08:07 PM

There are three pretty common things you do, then you just dial it in like any other setup.  In P&G the amount of change is pretty minimal overall between dry and wet.  

1. Fit softer tires (rain tires if available).  Duh, but it is the first step

2. Soften front and rear ARB by an equal number of steps.  You generally are not generating the same cornering grip so you do not roll the body as much and you need the grip.  You may then tune the ARBs a bit more in your testing.

3. Move brake bias toward rear.  You cannot generate the same forward weight movement due to braking, so rear brakes aactually have more traction.  Use it...you need it.  Some people also reduce brake pressure.  I do not...I just feather the brakes.

That is the common stuff.  The other tuning is car/track dependent so you have to test it, but generally involved a bit softer setup and maybe a tad less negative camber.  Tires pressures often require tweeking too.  Another non-obvious thing is adjusting gearing to limit wheel spin.

#3 Mark Jonzo

Mark Jonzo

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Apr 08 2009 - 12:38 PM

How do you get more temperature in the tyres in the wet in P&G ? I keep finding i end up with 35-40 degrees tyre temps and thats not much good for traction !
The dunlop tyres for instance use the same tread for dry or wet race. Even if i have the temps perfect for dry, they are a good 30-40 degrees cooler in the rain.

#4 Graag

Graag

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sim Racing

Posted Apr 09 2009 - 07:02 AM

View PostMark Jonzo, on Apr 8 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

How do you get more temperature in the tyres in the wet in P&G ? I keep finding i end up with 35-40 degrees tyre temps and thats not much good for traction !
The dunlop tyres for instance use the same tread for dry or wet race. Even if i have the temps perfect for dry, they are a good 30-40 degrees cooler in the rain.

I don't think you can get much more tyre temp. Use soft compound and take it easy, that about all you can do. I drove one race with changeable weather. After 10 laps the sky opened and after five more laps the track was completely floated. My car was Jaguar E-type Lightweight 5-speed and I noticed that you don't really need different setup for rain. If Jaguar was well balanced in dry condition, it was also easy to drive in rain. The success in rain races comes from drivers ability to alter to smoother driving style, not from setup optimised for wet conditions.

Edited by Graag, Apr 09 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#5 eliandi

eliandi

P&G Writer

• GTLW Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted Apr 09 2009 - 12:09 PM

Gragg is absolutely correct.  The changes I suggested can make the car a bit easier to drive, but the biggest factor is how smooth you drive in the rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links