JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 13 2018 - 02:16 PM

Different cars, tracks and mods: I can sit in the pits in neutral with my foot flat to the floor, but my engine never blows. Tried Pro and Grand Prix, and let Gem+ rebuild the .exe. Any ideas..?

#2 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 13 2018 - 02:19 PM

Also tried in Training with damage set to Realistic.

#3 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 13 2018 - 04:13 PM

Sorry, meant to add: still get accident damage as normal but can't destroy engine even if trying. Player.ini still saving correct LastDamageModel.

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,863 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 13 2018 - 04:15 PM

How long do you wait for the engine to blow? Are you giving it time so that the engine temp goes above about 220 degrees?

#5 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 13 2018 - 04:47 PM

Can sit with my foot flat to the floor, revs at max, for a minute. Nothing. Engine damage used to work, if I did that it would blow in just a few seconds. Somewhere in the last few months I stopped getting random failures. Just realised tonight, I've done 50+ races on Pro, all 30 to 40 laps, including practice, without a single failure.

#6 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted Mar 14 2018 - 08:38 AM

Try leaving your foot flat down while shifting for 10 laps and see if that kills your motor.

Paul

#7 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,933 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 14 2018 - 08:40 AM

Jonny pls PM your game hack. ;) :D

Just kidding, I have no clue why you get no engine damage.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Mar 14 2018 - 08:40 AM.

#8 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 15 2018 - 03:45 PM

Bump.

Anyone got any ideas? I feel a total fraud driving at the moment, but I don't want to face the hassle and risk of a full re-install.

#9 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Mar 16 2018 - 11:06 AM

No idea of the cause but I would try the following steps to attempt to track it down (of course you may already have tried all of these).

- Try creating and using a new player.  Maybe your player.ini is corrupt in some way, even if it doesn't look it.
- Untick/disable all patches in GEM+2.  Possibly some combination is corrupting the exe.  Maybe even temporarily remove them from the options folders to be sure.  As you already know,  delete the exe to ensure GEM rebuilds it.
- Try running the exe directly (not within GEM+2)
- If none of the above helps, then I would go back to the most basic, unpatched GPL.exe possible.  Take it from the CD and add the official patches if you need to.
- The above would rule out as far as possible the exe, patches and your player.  That might point to something environmental.  Can't think what might cause it butit  might be worth turning off anti-virus/malware in case that is messing with the patching process.

#10 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 17 2018 - 09:43 AM

I've done some more experimentation, and whether or not I can blow my engine depends mainly on the Carset.

I created a new player, with the default settings, but it made no difference. I also deleted all the .exes, and tried running them direct instead of through GEM, but again no effect.

But I have found that engine damage seems to be there on some Carsets, but not others.

Carsets with damage: 1967 (original), 1966 Can-Am, 1971 Can-Am, 1969-extra, 1967 Sportscars, 1966 F1, 1967 Tasman, 1968 Tasman

Carsets without damage: 1955 F1, 1965 F1, 1967 F2, 1965 Tasman, 1966 Tasman, 1967 Historic V2 - all carsets

I did see one engine blow-up in the 1967 F2 Mod, but couldn't get it to repeat. Same with 1965 F1 using the Honda. So the effect is inconsistent, which is very frustrating.

I've put quite a lot of effort into making a lot of small adjustments to my carsets (e.g. 1965 F1) and I'm reluctant just to try deleting them outright and re-installing. Does anyone have any further suggestions I could try? Really appreciate it.

#11 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 17 2018 - 03:59 PM

I doubt the graphic options are influencing physics. Pretty sure nothing in the cars folder is doing this

#12 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 17 2018 - 04:13 PM

Hi Michkov, it seems really weird to me too, but I spent well over an hour today trying the different carsets. In the original 1967 carset the engine blows after just a few seconds with my foot flat to the floor. In the 66 F1 or 67 Sportscars it takes much longer. I think the problem is in the physics inside the .exe. Maybe the original 67 and the new V2 67 physics are different for player car damage?

#13 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 17 2018 - 06:25 PM

I'm not privy to the physics code, but as far as I can tell by looking at the file structure in GPL the contents of the physics are not found in the GPL\cars folder. So it would be safe to back up these folders and reinstall the mod in question and then restore the individual tweaks you've made over the years in quick and easy way.

Another thing if you manage to blow a single engine in that mod clearly has engine damage, it may be less likely but it's there. F2s and 65s tend to be hardy little engines that rarely blow, expect when one is leading of course :D

#14 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,073 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Mar 17 2018 - 06:26 PM

The Player Car physics is only within the GEM+ patched exe file.

#15 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 18 2018 - 01:10 AM

Greg, how does GEM create a new .exe for a Mod if you delete it? Where does it get the physics information for the cars from?

#16 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Mar 18 2018 - 06:37 AM

I did a few tests on my setup (max revs in neutral in the pits).  With the Default 67 physics a Lotus Cosworth tends to blow up within a few seconds (<10). 1955 Mercedes tends to last longer, up to 40 secs.

Since you cannot alter the physics (I think they are stored, encrypted in the .eph (encrypted physics?) file in the \mods\GEM+ folder), I don't see how you can have screwed these up.  As Michkov and Greg say there is no connection to the \cars folder graphics.

I think when you re-create the relevant gpl exe, GEM+2 will patch your base gpl.exe with the relevant mod physics, any other xml mod patches from the relevant \mods\GEM+\xxxx subfolder, and any optional xml patches you have selected in GEM+2 from the \mods\GEM+\xxxx\options subfolder.

From the testing that you have done, I would suspect that it is a combination of patches.  Your base gpl exe seems ok since some mods are ok.  So for the ones that are not working, perhaps these have a combination of optional patches that are corrupting the physics.

I would now try....
1) For one of the non working mods disable all the optional patches in GEM+2 and rebuild the exe
2) Check that all the mods xml patches are present and correct in the \mods\GEM+\xxxx folder.

For your information my 1955 F1 works correctly.  The optional patches I currently have selected are....
  • 55 Replay Directory
  • 77dv3 No Letterbox
  • 77e V1.0 Head Movement
  • Enable pribluda
So no 60fps or any of Lee's other nifty patches.  Maybe try that combo to see

Edited by webfoot, Mar 18 2018 - 06:42 AM.

#17 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 18 2018 - 06:46 AM

I'll check but usually I just run FFB2 and the head movement patch. And carsets with identical patches behave differently.

#18 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted Mar 18 2018 - 07:24 AM

Here's what you want to know about how GEM+ and patches work.

http://gplmotorworks...dd-Patches.html

I'm confused that you keep referring to carsets as the cause of your issue.  Carsets are the graphics side of a mod...they have nothing whatsoever to do with the physics side.  The mod physics is what sets each car's reliability.

You say you change out the carsets...how are you doing that?

Edited by Lee200, Mar 18 2018 - 07:26 AM.

#19 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted Mar 18 2018 - 07:43 AM

Sorry to be inexact, I mean I am selecting different carsets from the LHS menu in GEM. This automatically brings up the associated physics set in the menu below.

#20 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted Mar 18 2018 - 07:59 AM

Well I must be dense because I don't know what GEM+'s LHS menu is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links