Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts
  • Interests:Cars/Antiques/Woodwork/AUDI<br />And his Sweetheart Robin
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 09 2004 - 08:57 AM

A kwel site for a history lesson and download of Pebble Beach!
Pebble Beach
Cheers Quattro :drive:

#2 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 09 2004 - 11:06 AM

About time you discovered it :P

This is a very nice track! So much better than a lot of it's contemporaries. It still stands on it's own graphically never mind the great drive.

:wave:

#3 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted Nov 09 2004 - 12:13 PM

And some guy makes me find this & Lime Rock Mountain Circuit on my own! Nice guy holding out on me eh :tomato:  :woot:

#4 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts

Posted Nov 09 2004 - 03:35 PM

LOL

Tell us what tracks you have or have had and which you like and which you dislike or think have nothing going for them like ovals :lol:  :lol: Aren't all tracks over in the Northern American Hemisphere ovals? :wacko:  :tomato:

:lol:  :wave:

#5 pirenzo

pirenzo

TwoPedalsOneFoot

• Staff Crew
  • 2,091 posts
  • Interests:GPL (of course), rock and progressive/experimental rock.
    Enjoy many motorsports as well as football and a passing interest in a dozen other sports as well.

Posted Nov 09 2004 - 04:17 PM

I never liked Pebble Beach...
Too many hairpins I seem to remember.

#6 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted Nov 09 2004 - 04:57 PM

Giv over Daamouse .. ask Bob Simpson or Froggie what our neck of the woods tracks are like...the further West you travel from our East Coast you'll find the terrane very flat
until BC is reached. But you'll find most ovals stateside from us here Canucks.  :drunk:
Cheers Walt  :bye:

#7 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts

Posted Nov 09 2004 - 05:16 PM

The great prairies eh?

I was just kidding about ovals. Give us an idea of what you do like and what you don't so we can recommend some tracks for you.

#8 pirenzo

pirenzo

TwoPedalsOneFoot

• Staff Crew
  • 2,091 posts
    Enjoy many motorsports as well as football and a passing interest in a dozen other sports as well.

Posted Nov 09 2004 - 06:37 PM

If you like Pebble Beach, maybe you'll also like Lake Garnett?  As best I can remember they're both similar in feel.

#9 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted Nov 10 2004 - 11:23 AM

I was just kidding about ovals. I know this you chouch  :lol: Me I tend to crave the larger road courses guv! Me I've got 3 or 4 track managers on the go now but I've been starting over with finding certain tracks with top notch graphics and even done a little experimenting with "FB Adjust v1.o.1" at Adjust Distance. When it comes to finding the ultimate addons can be a chore with the number of different ones.
I haven't run this Pebble Beach yet as I'm having a blast with Lime Rock Mountain Circuit at the moment; love the elevation changes effin sweet! :thumbup:
Ta for the heads up on Lake Garnett I'll snag this later this eve Will. :thumbup:
Cheers Quattro also experimenting with different setups as now I'm set at 75/45/3 in the
Brabham! :wave:

#10 Andy77

Andy77

Genius At Work ....... NOT

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:music (heavy metal / hardrock) , reading , gpl &amp; scgt

Posted Nov 11 2004 - 09:38 AM

LOL americans and ovals but planning golf courses and parks over the real nice circuits.

btw , does anybody know if the Augusta International Road Circuit is available somewhere? It was only used in the mid sixties but hey ive never seen a full banked road circuit before  :o  :rolleyes:  ;)

#11 ryuu_59

ryuu_59

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Nov 11 2004 - 04:22 PM

i dont know about u guys but i would like to  see either a version 2 of pebble for graphics update.

#12 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted Nov 14 2004 - 12:10 AM

Hey Keith! Speaking of "The great prairies eh? " that reminds me of Willow Springs is there any addons for this track besides Caballero's ?
Cheers Walt :think:

Attached Files

#13 pirenzo

pirenzo

TwoPedalsOneFoot

• Staff Crew
  • 2,091 posts

Posted Nov 14 2004 - 07:44 AM

I've got that issue of Motorsport :D

#14 Quattro

Quattro

Canadian Misfit

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted Nov 14 2004 - 07:58 AM

I knew I've seen these pic b4  :o  thanks Pirenzo.

#15 Bob

Bob

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:sports cars, racing, GPL

Posted Nov 25 2004 - 08:54 PM

LOL americans and ovals but planning golf courses and parks over the real nice circuits.

excuse me bud, but the internationally famous Sebring road course has race days and/or runs races almost EVERY day of the year here in paradise, sunny Florida to you guys....ever hear of Road Atlanta, Elkhart Lake, Lime Rock Park, all great tracks that run major races year after year

there are far more road courses and road racers, sports cars, Super Vees, etc, etc than you guys really have a clue about.....sure ovals are big in a certain sector of American Motorsports, but so are mud boggers and sand drags in their own little circle...tracks like Bridgehampton, Augusta, Pebble Beach, Paramount Ranch and Riverside were all world class tracks.....bet I could name quite a few tracks in "Germoney" that were taken over by development

#16 Andy77

Andy77

Genius At Work ....... NOT

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:music (heavy metal / hardrock) , reading , gpl &amp; scgt

Posted Nov 26 2004 - 05:37 AM

Andy77, on Nov 11 2004, 04:38 PM, said:

Sarcastic comment. only funny that i am referring indeed to circuits you counted up. Bridgehampton (golf course), Riverside (parking lot), Augusta (kind of park), etc.....

Dunno to which german tracks you are referring to. Until mid 70s nearly any bigger village had its own racing circuit so that list is long

Anyways, I still find the relation between ovals and (especially closed) world class road circuits pretty funny
I know too that there are a few other road circuits in the states . very nice ones too like rd america, laguna seca, sears point , watkins glen,virginia international..............

Dont think I dunno about them i´m following cart since early 90´s , alms from its start and lately ama-sbk from tv, even live.
The thing i wonder about is that it needs so much ovals when there are so much really nice road circuits.
I like oval races , only not 40+ odd in a season. balanced like cart does , that is a really good mix.

then ovals seem to shooting up like mushrooms while roadcircuits getting closed

things i wonder about ,
but well who i am .

Andy

#17 Bob

Bob

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:sports cars, racing, GPL

Posted Nov 27 2004 - 08:57 AM

all good points Andy77.......sorry if I sounded cranky, but whenever I see a comment (whether sarcastic or not) that perpetuates the misconception that we Americans are only interested in boring ovals......well, I attempt to clarify that

I am from the South and I don't have much interest in Nascar at all......my roots go back to SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) where my father and I campaigned an Alfa-Romeo Giulietta at mid-west tracks such as Nelsons Ledges and Mid-Ohio......in fact, these are tracks that Mark Donahue, Ken Miles, Carroll Shelby, and Jim Hall used to race, as they were just starting out.....I remember meeting Jim Hall when he was racing and developing his new Chaparral at Nelson Ledges

there are many superb club road tracks around my country, that many people just aren't aware of....and many of these great road circuits were NOT closed to make way for parking lots and golf courses....whether the closings were due to mis-management (most likely), competition from other tracks, the impending fuel crisis or whatever, it is a shame, as many were compared to some of the more famous circuits around the world

here are a few that are just begging to be built for GPL...as Mark Beckman pointed out in a thread re: Augusta International, a few weeks ago....AND, many of the older tracks that have not been used for years, but still preserved, are seeing a resurgence in racing, as in the new Pomona Road Circuit

Lynndale Farms Raceway was a well-designed and fun-to-drive road racing course situated about 20 miles west of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  It opened in 1963 and closed in 1967. Didja know?  "Lynndale Blue" was a color offered only on Corvettes, and only in 1967.

Meadowdale International Raceway was built in 1958 to promote growth in the Carpentersville area, 40 miles northwest of Chicago.  The original track was 3.27 miles long with a variety of turns and elevation changes.  Its signature feature was the Monza Wall, a 180 degree steeply banked turn that led onto the 4,000 foot main straight.

Meadowdale underwent a series of track and management changes in its brief life.  It hosted major spectator road races from many different sanctioning bodies: USAC, Midwestern Council, SCCA regions, AMA motorcycles and kart clubs.  An NHRA drag racing sanction was issued late in 1968 for the 1969 season. It was also used for police training, new car introductions and local club events.

The last major event at Meadowdale was an SCCA Trans-Am race July 6-7, 1968.  A few sports car club races followed, but for all practical purposes, the track closed down after that pro event.  Plans to revive it were announced periodically, but none were successful.

The track is now a forest preserve, nature area, recreation area called Raceway Woods. That title and the remnants of the Pure Oil silo, the "Little Monza" turn and other scraps of track paving within the preserve are the last best hope to keep the memories of this grand race track alive.

Very few of you may know that when you were roaming the Fairplex parking lot, you were actually walking on a section of a historic road race track constructed back in the late 40s which has changed very little since then.

In the hey-day of road racing, the Pomona Fairplex was used for the Cal Club regional races, and an important international race: the L.A. Examiner Grand Prix which has drawn more than 40,000 spectators. Pomona hosted many famous cars and drivers. Imagine the thundering of Ole Yeller, Lister Corvettes, screaming Ferraris, Type C and D Jaguars, Mercedes gullwings, and Aston Martins. These and other cars were driven here by Phil Hill, Jon Von Newmann, Ken Miles, Max Balchowsky, Dan Gurney, Roy Salvatori, Caroll Shelby, Roger Ward, Mickey Thompson, and many of the other greats from racing’s legendary past.

Times changed, and as other tracks were built, Pomona saw decreasing use. Some 30 years after its glory days though, the Vintage Auto Racing Association organized a vintage GP. Since then, other organizations have run, and Pomona is seeing more use from vintage and other club organizations.

The original track included 13 turns including a trip under the famous bridge. Today, the track is about 2.6 miles long with 10 turns as it has been shortened to avoid some areeas and improve safety. The track is as flat as Kansas and a little bumpy, but there are two sweepers, two long straights, a chicane, and several more turns with lots of run off room. Those who have driven it report that it’s a fast track that is very fun to drive.

It's a Lotus 12! This was a formula 2 car - 12 were built between 1957 and 1959. The 12 was the first Lotus entered into a Grand Prix race, with the usual 1475cc Climax replaced with a 1960cc unit. It never won a major race. Amazing that one made it to the US this quickly. (I do have a pic of the 12 at Thompson, just haven't found it yet)

so....I hope I have clarified any mis-conception that Americans don't know as much about road racing as any other country, or are only interested in oval racing.....certainly many innovations in motorsport (such as board tracks) were developed here.....and blah, blah, I hope I have made my point......Bob

Attached Files

#18 pirenzo

pirenzo

TwoPedalsOneFoot

• Staff Crew
  • 2,091 posts

Posted Nov 27 2004 - 09:56 AM

Mr. Photog is making Wilmot Hills :)

#19 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts

Posted Nov 27 2004 - 05:05 PM

Come one guys. Stop taking ribbing so personally. Relax guys!!

Look who's screwing up F! - he's British. So what?, He's still an idiot. A bloody rich one :angry:

Where is it we all live?

Yeah the world is getting smaller and smaller and we are all neighbours now.  If we can't  stop having fun in GPL what's the point?

Seeing as what has been happening elsewhere this week, I'm not going to let what could become a patriotic bashing thread continue.

Thread CLOSED! :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links