Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hi lads,

I'm trying to make a complete 69 X'tra menu set but I'm not very skilled and I'm already stuck.
Problem is, I'm working on files like the one I've uploaded so, in order to make a new background layer, I need to extract the box level from previous background (the one with sponsors and team logos). To be clear, for "box level" I mean the one where text goes once GPL starts. But I don't know how to do that! I tried everything and surfing the web gave no answer. Please can you help me?
Once I have this sorted it is just a question of finding the right pics and do some colour correction.

PS: I'm using GIMP

Attached Files

#2 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi Leon

I used Photoshop to make a lot of menus. I never used GIMP. IF GIMP Works with layers, then convert the PBFs into BMPs and use these BMPs as the base layer for each menú screen. Then make the stripes also as separate layers. Finally paste a picture over the base layer. FInally copy the file as a BMP and use WinMip to convert it to PBF. Be careful with the names of the files since they are used by LYT files to place the menus on the screen.
This is, basically, the whole procedure.
You will notice the menus are colored as, in the case of this mod, blue. This can be made using a colored layer and changing the opacity of this layer. Also the picture´s opacity should be reduced from 25% up to 75%, generally speaking.
Anyway, if you can make one file, the rest is quite similar. The majority of the menus should be 640x480, with some exceptions for team and player menus for instance. However, once you convert the original PBFs into BMPs, you will notice this easily.

#3 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hi Arturo :)
your  answer is pretty clear but I do not understand this passage, which is essentially at the base of my problem

View PostArturo Pereira, on Mar 11 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

then convert the PBFs into BMPs and use these BMPs as the base layer for each menú screen. Then make the stripes also as separate layers.

How do I do that? How do I separate the stripes as layer from the background as another layer?

PS: yes Gimp works with layers :)

#4 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 10:14 AM

I have these layered PSD files made a long time a go by Bruce Johnson :) . They are located here:

http://www.bruces-st...scellaneous.htm

Hope they help :) .

#5 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 10:24 AM

Thank you TvO, I got those too :) I used them to make my 67 team pics uploaded in the "misc" section.
Unfortunately, they do not serve my actual purpose. I'm making a complete 69 menu set and those are only some of the menus which are in GPL :(
I need to learn how to separate the 2 levels (or layers) which are in every GPL menu (basically what Bruce did and what Arturo is trying to teach me). This way, I'll be free to modify every menu without doing any collage between different screens.

#6 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have made this for the 1967 IndyCar mod :) . It has different colors but maybe you can edit those :) . I believe an original background picture can be found in the layout.DAT as 'world.pbf'.

Attached Files

#7 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostTvO, on Mar 11 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

I have made this for the 1967 IndyCar mod :) . It has different colors but maybe you can edit those :) . I believe an original background picture can be found in the layout.DAT as 'world.pbf'.

It is of great help indeed! I see that in "raster2" (by clicking the eye icon which makes me see what every layer does) you put a new background. How did you do that? How you guys work on the background not touching the stripes (or logo, or paper, etc; every menu has 2 levels which are then unified in bmp) and vice versa? I need to learn :D :D :)

#8 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 10:47 AM

your file has the layers already splitted but how do you separate them in the first place? when they are still in one single bmp image

#9 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 11:10 AM

You don't separate them but create those stripes in photoshop/gimp in a new layer.
Basically you draw a rectangle or more and then apply some fade.

#10 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 12:13 PM

As Martin says.

Leon, if you do not know how to work with layers, I would suggest you to first learn this. Then everything will be much easier.

About converting PBFs to BMPs, and viceversa, use WinMip2. The best tool around to do this imho :)

#11 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 01:05 PM

Yes I did not seperate them but made them from scratch using the original layout as a guideline. Then I made a background image and put that underneath the stripes :) .

#12 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 01:26 PM

ok ok thank you lads now it is more clear :D I thought you were splitting them, not creating them from scratch :)

I'll start working tonight, so that I'll have a couple of preview we can discuss about ;)

#13 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 02:59 PM

Ok lads here's a couple of previews.

First one, with Brambilla, is for training menu.
Second one, with Hill, is for championship menu.

What do you think? I'm inclined to prefer the Brambilla version. Crispier image and no blue on the left border. Of course the menu set will point towards an overall blue tint but I think I'll remove those ugly blue borders on the left side and prefer crispier pics.

Attached Files

#14 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 03:15 PM

Looks great Leon!

#15 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Mar 12 2014 - 10:10 AM

Good news lads: work is going good :) I think that the menu set will be avalaible in the next few days.

In the meantime, does anyone know the name of the dialog screen file? The green one which asks you if you really want to quit or exit.
Being always green, I think it's time to make it more blue :P :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links