Jump to content


- - - - -

Gpl Aims/goals You Want To Achieve


  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 PTRACER

PTRACER

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 01:22 AM

I've owned GPL for maybe 18 years. I have never completed a full championship. I don't think I have ever won a race. I pretty much exclusively used it for hotlapping for GPLRank, or having fun with crashing...To me that sounds pathetic, because I won plenty of races online with real people in GPL and other sims.

So my biggest goals will be:-

- Win a race against the AI
- Complete a race at 100% distance
- Complete a full championship

#2 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 04:27 AM

Nice ambitions, PTRACER. Always good to have them!
Here are a few of mine, purely on driving:

- Get within the 5% at GPLRank for 1967 (currently 6.30%)
- Complete full distance Grand Prix races.
- Sharpen my endurance and consistency.

As for my channel ;) :
- Get more motivated to do stuff.
- Find new ideas. (ideas are welcome!)
- Some stuff with my voice (big hurdle for me.)
- A big series a la GPLaps (+ voice)

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 07:45 AM

Win a full championship in all 7 cars.

A very hard goal i'm sure i'll never do because of being taken out or mechanical breakdowns. It so hard to complete a championship once i've been taken out in a couple of races or have a DNF because of pre-programmed mechanical problems. Knowing I have no chance for winning the championship. I refuse to start a race over and that makes it even harder. Keeping the AI from hitting me is the biggest challenge. I give up a lot of positions to avoid it.

#4 fajanko

fajanko

    Jani Posta

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 09:08 AM

Hosting again a full Groundhog season with 10+ regular drivers :)

#5 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

    oAo Admin

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:northern Indiana
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 09:10 AM

PT... winning against Ai is nothing compared to winning vs other humans!
if you've done that multiple times, i am humbled :)
we both know the Ai can be tweaked to 'our' speeds, unless you are using default settings :o

for me, in over around 18 years of league racing v humans, i've somehow managed 4 wins. 4!
good thing winning at all is not a goal for me ;)  

competing a full championship is done every year since 2003 in oAo, and every season has 1 full distance race... give us a look!
the current season is nearing completion, but s23 will start in Feb ~

http://oao-gpl.speed....net/index.html

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 09:38 AM

I've raced in your league Bo and i've done hundreds of full championships with the AI at default settings. They're both hard but wouldn't give the most difficult to humans.

I'll give you as an example. You've won 4 races against humans. Have you won a full championship with the AI at default settings?

btw You can tweak humans to your speed too.

#7 Millennium

Millennium

    Roger Williamson

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 09:47 AM

- Learning to be properly fast with the original 1967 cars.

All the fantastic mods have spoiled me with decent grip at lower speeds. When I get back to the original cars I always feel like I'm driving way below the car's potential.

#8 Keyser Zose

Keyser Zose

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 11:49 AM

My only aim is to improve in hopefully every department and have fun doing it. There is still years ahead of me of understanding how everything is put together in this sim so Im in no rush as I have no end destination other than enjoying the ride that gpl provides.

Racing other people online is marks above racing the AI imo , not that its not fun with an AI race but it aint the same as going head to head with actual people from around the world.

For those who really wanna test themselves in gpl there is the league option : http://f1historicesports.com/ with tire wear and a dirty tires effect thrown in on top (no shift+r). Along with a new damage model from next season which will be a bit more consistent and realistic for online racing. The cars will be more sensitive to suspension damage mostly. Due to online latency the damage model in gpl works a little so and so from race to race , the latest tweak to the dirtgear patch seeks to change that. There also exists a repair option.

Not knowing how the tires will hold up for the last ten or so laps in a race puts a whole new spin on gpl racing imo. Cutting corners suddenly has a bit more drama to it.

#9 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

    oAo Admin

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:northern Indiana
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 12:03 PM

you got me there Pete :) (no, never full champ v Ai at default)  :o
but!
how do you tweak human opp's?

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 12:34 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on Nov 03 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

you got me there Pete :) (no, never full champ v Ai at default)  :o
but!
how do you tweak human opp's?

You can put them in different groups according to their speed. Sometimes you have to make adjustments after they race a few races. Just using GPL Rank doesn't always work out.

#11 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

    oAo Admin

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:northern Indiana
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 01:24 PM

oh... well :)  that's exactly how oAo is operated!

#12 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2019 - 02:12 PM

I know and was surprised you asked me. ;)

Adjusting AI is the same as handicapping in leagues. I just choose to be hard on myself with the AI and won't slow them down. With humans it's more an ego thing and I wanted to win. :)

#13 PTRACER

PTRACER

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 04 2019 - 08:56 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on Nov 03 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

PT... winning against Ai is nothing compared to winning vs other humans!
if you've done that multiple times, i am humbled :)
we both know the Ai can be tweaked to 'our' speeds, unless you are using default settings :o
http://oao-gpl.speed....net/index.html

The last time I raced in an online league was 2003...I'm afraid to say that I was able to win every race in the championship without difficulty. Usually it was because I could drive the whole race without crashing, not because I was any faster over a single lap. I could end up in a league where the fastest drivers are 5 seconds a lap faster than me and the slowest ones are 10 seconds a lap slower, which I don't really enjoy.

Also I realised I HAVE won races against the AI, the last time was driving the 55s at Reims last year :blush:  I want to beat the 67s though, Clark and Hill were always uncatchable!

Edited by PTRACER, Nov 04 2019 - 09:21 PM.


#14 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 05 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostPTRACER, on Nov 04 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

The last time I raced in an online league was 2003...I'm afraid to say that I was able to win every race in the championship without difficulty. Usually it was because I could drive the whole race without crashing, not because I was any faster over a single lap. I could end up in a league where the fastest drivers are 5 seconds a lap faster than me and the slowest ones are 10 seconds a lap slower, which I don't really enjoy.

Also I realised I HAVE won races against the AI, the last time was driving the 55s at Reims last year :blush:  I want to beat the 67s though, Clark and Hill were always uncatchable!

Beating Jimmy in a GP race at default settings is a huge challenge for most of us. An alien can do it but the majority will really struggle. His times are probably your PB if you can match them at all. Can you do your PB for two hours straight? Of course some tracks are easier than others but for 2 hours it will never be easy.

Humans will make mistakes and it's a chance to pass. The top AI don't make mistakes. If they're in front of you. You can't get pass them. If they're behind you they'll fill your mirror for hours. Can you handle that pressure? Some call it fun. Others call it torture. I call it a fun torture. :)

#15 jgf

jgf

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 05 2019 - 04:39 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 05 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

...The top AI don't make mistakes. If they're in front of you. You can't get pass them. If they're behind you they'll fill your mirror for hours. Can you handle that pressure? Some call it fun. Others call it torture. I call it a fun torture. :)

This, to a degree, is true for every sim the past twenty years.  But there is another factor to consider - driving in reality there is so much tactile input from the car that you process subconsciously and adjust your driving accordingly;  this "seat of the pants" is not available in any racing sim.  So I level the playing field by tweaking the AI, not to win every race (which would be boring) but to finish in the points if I run a good race;  after twenty-one years I still crash out of about 20% of the races, finish in the points in about 25%, and am just happy to finish the rest.

As for my goal in GPL, ages ago I noticed we had almost all the tracks to accurately depict every F1 season from '58-'72, so I created each season with the intent of running each sequentially using the mods best suited to the power and handling of that year.  I will never realize that goal ...twenty-one years in GPL and I've yet to complete any season.

#16 PTRACER

PTRACER

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 05 2019 - 11:14 PM

What are the default settings? There are so many tweaks to the game now, I have no idea what they are :clap: (Is it GEM+ AI set to 1 or 0?)

Also, having never run a full race, I have no idea what generally happens with the AI. Do many retire? Do they progressively get faster? What sort of laptimes would the AI be setting at Silverstone or Monza during the race?

#17 KARTM

KARTM

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2019 - 05:21 AM

never race online never had the the broadband then , now im on fiber optic ,who knows . won many time and  almost everywhere in pro mode against the AI in 67 F1mod (the only mod that i had from 2000 to 2010 when i left ),but i never did full GP race not even try , short and intermediate race only , now since im back i have installed all the new mods and i enjoy them very much ,  i love the f2 mods but the AI on many tracks are dreadful ,  right now i do short race(T70 mkll) in the sports car mods and the AI are really good not only fast but "natural" , except for Reims where they were way too fast in the straight ,and with no slipstream effect at all ?? ,so i did tweak the ini , im slowly getting  the grip in the 66 canam too with the t70 ,so many new beatyfully redone american track now  road atlanta ,Elkhart lake ,riverside ,sebring , now its the 67 F1 tracks who are the "parent pauvre",in F2 its the Matra ms5 . im a one car guy in 67 F1  in the days it was a lotus guy, period, but i doubt that i will race again that mod soon , so many other things to try , the 55(250f) ,65 ,66 , 69 the thundercars in Indy carset on US ovals  and the the 68 season coming soon so many things to try

Edited by KARTM, Nov 06 2019 - 05:52 AM.


#18 John Woods

John Woods

    Be Somebody

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2019 - 06:24 AM

View PostKARTM, on Nov 06 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

so many things to try

To each their own is for sure the foundational strength and essence of Grand Prix Legends.
(Refer to the last 20yrs and The Modder's Manifesto).

Lately enjoying driving, training for, and racing online.

Not like many say it used to be. Bad driving is rare and not tolerated. Typical online grids are often within 3sec front to back with most of the field within 2sec.

You will not win unless you are in the top 1%.
So for most of us, (I am online newbie btw), forget thinking about winning.

Only one way to earn respect as a racer no matter where you are on the grid: 1), be fast enough to not be a bother and/or know how to get out of the way, and 2), finish without screwing something up.

There are at least maybe 11 goals beyond earning respect that motivate users who drive online and that have nothing to do with finishing first. (jm-own-ho)

1. Nothing else like it, (a. nothing, b. else, c. like it).
2. Meet new friends in chat and on track, ("great lap!" "Sry," "np:)"
3. Prove you can achieve difficult goals you set for yourself, (good luck!).
4. Test setups and train with other real drivers in training sessions, (refer to #2 above).
5. Make the grid, make it thru T1, make it around the first lap, stay out of trouble, (just like real life racing).
6. Don't go off track on your own, (what the heck?).
7. Keep pace with the field, (they are relentless!).
8. Don't incur a penalty for bad driving, (don't want to talk about it).
9. Have too much fun, (it is a given).
10. Finish ahead of the driver behind you on the grid, (consistency is key).
11. Finish the race in Top 10 on lead lap, (wuhuhoo!)

Until recently none of that had anything to do with my GPL interests over the past many years, which was mainly, to have way too much pure distraction from r/l fun, and learn how to really drive a race car.

Lately racing online has opened a world of GPL that is only there for the moment in time it happens, and only happens when others are there to share it with you.

Miss the party and have no idea what it was like when by an incredible coincidence of circumstance and drivers skill luck and destiny pushed the limits of what anyone thought possible.

No way to know what it was like if you weren't there.


Sometimes it is beyond amazing.
:D

Edited by John Woods, Nov 06 2019 - 06:31 AM.


#19 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Keswick, Ontario, Canada
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Nov 06 2019 - 06:38 AM

I haven't done any offline races against the AI for many a year since trying a championship run in the GP67's using one of my son's name as a persona.  'He' was doing well in the overall title chase til Spa where a tiny slip in the Kink had him thundering into 'that house' at around 130 mph.  A flaming wreck.  I just killed my 2nd borne.  It was quite a shocking moment.  Haven't tried anything against the AI since.

#20 KARTM

KARTM

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2019 - 07:14 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Nov 06 2019 - 06:24 AM, said:

To each their own is for sure the foundational strength and essence of Grand Prix Legends.
(Refer to the last 20yrs and The Modder's Manifesto).

Lately enjoying driving, training for, and racing online.

Not like many say it used to be. Bad driving is rare and not tolerated. Typical online grids are often within 3sec front to back with most of the field within 2sec.

You will not win unless you are in the top 1%.
So for most of us, (I am online newbie btw), forget thinking about winning.

Only one way to earn respect as a racer no matter where you are on the grid: 1), be fast enough to not be a bother and/or know how to get out of the way, and 2), finish without screwing something up.

There are at least maybe 11 goals beyond earning respect that motivate users who drive online and that have nothing to do with finishing first. (jm-own-ho)

1. Nothing else like it, (a. nothing, b. else, c. like it).
2. Meet new friends in chat and on track, ("great lap!" "Sry," "np:)"
3. Prove you can achieve difficult goals you set for yourself, (good luck!).
4. Test setups and train with other real drivers in training sessions, (refer to #2 above).
5. Make the grid, make it thru T1, make it around the first lap, stay out of trouble, (just like real life racing).
6. Don't go off track on your own, (what the heck?).
7. Keep pace with the field, (they are relentless!).
8. Don't incur a penalty for bad driving, (don't want to talk about it).
9. Have too much fun, (it is a given).
10. Finish ahead of the driver behind you on the grid, (consistency is key).
11. Finish the race in Top 10 on lead lap, (wuhuhoo!)

Until recently none of that had anything to do with my GPL interests over the past many years, which was mainly, to have way too much pure distraction from r/l fun, and learn how to really drive a race car.

Lately racing online has opened a world of GPL that is only there for the moment in time it happens, and only happens when others are there to share it with you.

Miss the party and have no idea what it was like when by an incredible coincidence of circumstance and drivers skill luck and destiny pushed the limits of what anyone thought possible.

No way to know what it was like if you weren't there.


Sometimes it is beyond amazing.
:D
i still think that for racing against "real "people , i like  to do it on kart track (125 cc rotax), i still do some oldtimer races , on real track people use there heads because there still afraid to get hurt




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links