- - - - -

[Fixed :-) ] Have Other Srmz Donators Been Forced To Set Up A Paypal Account?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 12 2018 - 02:41 PM

Hi all,

With Bill's news that he's going to upgrade the SRMZ website onto a new server, I thought I would make a donation to help out.

However, I've just followed the "Donate" link at the top of the SRMZ page, I filled out all my details on the Paypal payment page, but Paypal wouldn't let me complete the payment without me setting up a Paypal account.

I went back and re-read the info on the Paypal site, and it clearly states that people making payments through Paypal can either choose to make a "one-off" payment (which is what I wanted to do), or they can choose to set up an account and pay that way. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I tried a second time, making sure I didn't accidentally tick any boxes which indicated that I wanted an account. But again, at the bottom of the payment details page, I left the section "Create a Paypal account" blank, and the website wouldn't let me proceed unless I filled in those details.

Has anyone else made a donation to SRMZ recently via Paypal? If so, were you forced to set up an account? Or were you allowed to make a "one-off" payment without an account? Am I really going to be forced to fly over to America to drag Bill down to his local bar to buy him an evening's worth of beer? (I don't think that would work anyway - I don't think Homeland Security would let me in!) ;) :D

I should explain that I used to have a Paypal account some years ago, but I didn't like the way Paypal dealt with my details, and I didn't like the way they spammed me with emails. I also got cold feet about them keeping my details after other websites, companies and payment services were hacked and had customer details stolen. So I am reluctant to create any long-term relationship with Paypal.

Any help or advice would be welcome. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Saiph, Feb 18 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Feb 12 2018 - 03:12 PM

Keith, I have had a PayPal account since 1997.  No help figuring it out here.  :)

#3 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,277 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 12 2018 - 03:30 PM

The only details I've given PayPal to open account are a low-limit credit card number, an e-mail address and my home address as shown on credit card billing address. They do not have anything else like bank account number or tax ID.

It makes donations here, along with a password entry, just a few very convenient clicks and done.

PayPal is the only thing I use for on-line and so never give out any other info to anyone else on-line, ever.
Seems all they send me is an account statement once a month.

Maybe things have changed since a few years ago?
Surprised if they say something about accepting one-time payments then don't back it up.
Saiph, have you contacted them about it?

Really look at it as hopefully the least worry when taking a "necessary" risk. Most of the time there isn't much available credit on the card anyway, so if someone were to bother not sure they'd think its worth it.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Feb 12 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,392 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 12 2018 - 03:35 PM

Saiph. I'm confused.

Are you saying you have a PayPal account.

If so you can sign in directly and send a money transaction gift to Bill 🤔

TP:

#5 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Feb 13 2018 - 02:05 AM

I donated last year but Paypal never came into it. I'm a bit wary about people having my details.

#6 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,768 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 18 2018 - 08:05 AM

I went through the donation process again today, making sure that I didn't fill in any unnecessary fields (FireFox automatically filled in my email address at one point, so I cleared that). For some reason the process worked ok. When I got to the main payment page, I was able to enter my details, but there was no extra section at the end asking me to set up an account.

After the donation went through, Paypal then asked me if I wanted to set up an account, but I declined. So everything seems to have worked ok! Bill has his money, and my security paranoia is satisfied! :D :thumbup:

View Posttwinpotter, on Feb 12 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

Saiph. I'm confused.

Are you saying you have a PayPal account.

If so you can sign in directly and send a money transaction gift to Bill

TP:

No TP, I had a Paypal account some years ago, but I was getting quite a bit of spam from Paypal, and there were also some indications that they had passed my email address on to other companies for marketing purposes. So I asked Paypal to close my account down. When that was done, my spam inbox was about 50% less busy, so it was worth it IMHO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links