- - - - -

Historical Mod 67 - Does It Replace The Default 67 Season?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Millennium

Millennium

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 03:16 AM

I want to install the 67 Historical Mod v2, but instead of a installer it says that you should copy the contents of the mod to your GPL installation folder manually.

Does this mean that the mod will replace the default 67 season cars or will it show up as a seperate mod?

Edited by Millennium, Jun 19 2017 - 03:17 AM.

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 03:38 AM

If you talk about Historical v2 mod then it's separate mod (actually seven sub-mods).
One thing that will be overwrite is track67.ini files inside 11 original track folders if you were using 1.3 patch for 67. Really nothing bad but after Historical mod installation AI Brabham cars in original 67 game will cary little bit too much fuel then they should.

#3 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 06:21 AM

Due to the way it is set up (as Pavel noted - seven small mods, each with its own cars and a few tracks) I created a separate install just for this mod.

Oddly, from reading forums, there seem to be as many saying this mod is more realistic than the default '67 cars as saying it is less realistic because the grip is too high.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 06:58 AM

Thanks, that made things clear. I think I'll use a seperate install of GPL, just to be safe.

#5 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 07:15 AM

Did somebody say it's less realistic? It sounds me a bit odd...

#6 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,447 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 07:29 AM

Less or more realistic ? It wld be good if those who tried all the cars X 7 physics cld put on a spreadsheet their remarks, car by car.We can doubt manys have tested in deep this Historical seven sub mods.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jun 19 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#7 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 08:11 AM

I don't know if the mod has more grip than it should? I'm pretty sure the Papy physics don't have enough low speed grip and maybe a bit too much high speed grip. After so many years driving the default grip some might think the mod has too much grip.

I go back and forth between the two of them. I like them both. I'll continue to do that until someone who has driven a real 67 F1 car tells me which one is more accurate.

#8 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 10:41 AM

View Postmcmirande, on Jun 19 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

Did somebody say it's less realistic? It sounds me a bit odd...

I've heard several say they no longer use the historic mod because it has "too much grip".  Though I wonder on what they base this assessment.

#9 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 11:08 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Jun 19 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

...someone who has driven a real 67 F1 car tells me which one is more accurate.

This is something I have long argued regarding all racing sims.  People with no "seat time" in the car in question, usually with no experience in any racing car, often with no experience in high performance cars, occasionally having never even driven a car, will speak authoritatively on how accurately a car is modeled in a sim.  On another site there was a rather vehement "debate" on this very topic ...and I was definitely in the minority.  There are some sims/mods where actual drivers had input, but even then, due to limitations of no tactile feedback in a sim, it is difficult to fully assess how realistically any car's handling is modeled (Dale Earnhardt Jr. was a fan of NR2003, and stated the Cup cars were poorly modeled and that the BGN cars actually performed more like real world Cup cars;  this is input we can respect ...and probably the reason most N2k3 mods are built on the BGN physics).

Ultimately we can only state that a car's performance is or isn't what we expect, which is pure opinion.  And rely on sim/mod developers to do their homework before releasing their product (an area where I feel GPL excels).

(FWIW, I've driven a Lotus 49 ...one hot Saturday afternoon at Road Atlanta forty years ago.  Which of the ones we have in GPL is most accurate?  I have no idea.  So, like you, I'll enjoy them both.)

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 03:18 PM

How did that happen?

#11 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted Jun 19 2017 - 04:09 PM

I insist in the "needing" of an online carset for the 1967x...

#12 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,447 posts

Posted Jun 20 2017 - 10:02 AM

I think most of us agree with your remarks, jgf. Force Feedback or not, the cars don't give feedback in our body, not to say in our ass.

Sometimes, simple observation of 1967 GP races advocate for real F1 cars delivering more grip in short and middle radius curves.
Looking at the movie  Nine Days in Summer , we can see the cars movements at Zandvoort, or at the German GP, or looking at the other color movie at the Bugatti , or like at the BW Italian GP TV report, it is not dishonest to conclude :

-  Their  cars didn't handle like skaters. By countersteering and a few correctives actions with the steering wheel, drivers had room to keep the car in the right direction . Not always possible in GPL.

In particular, looking at the drivers arms movement when they go out the South Kurve at the Nurburgring, or when they go out Hunzenrug left hander at Zandy helps a lot to  understand their car handling.Sure, the cars under full acceleration needed correctives actions.The rear trains didn't accept the power easily.( I remember Rindt with the Cooper T 86, constantly moving arms at the South Kurve).But at the same time, unlike in GPL, he wasn't on eggs when entering the corner or going to the apex , with the weight charge transfered to the front train. .

The Historical carset has followed this path, and even "if " someone like Jacky Ickx or Stewart, Hobbs, Rees, Attwood,  still alive and who raced those cars say one day that there is too much grip, there is a very good chance it is still more realistic than the original carset.
Even with the smoother and easier setups at our disposal in GPL, entering and going out short and middle radius corners at a lower speed than they did in RL and after long practice,  is still a challenge !

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jun 20 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#13 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted Jun 20 2017 - 10:15 AM

I agree. They may both be a bit off, but the HisV2 mod seems closer to what we see in videos. Plus, the skins, tracks etc is way closer to reality.

#14 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,447 posts

Posted Jun 20 2017 - 10:22 AM

View Postmcmirande, on Jun 19 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

I insist in the "needing" of an online carset for the 1967x...

Yes, we need a petition to  send to Chris

#15 guiporsche

guiporsche

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Football, Old school and present racing, History

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 07:01 AM

I'm sure this has been covered in the forum already, and maybe it is an apocryphal anecdote, but did not Jackie Stewart himself tell the GPL developers that the (original) 67's were harder than the real cars? Might have been the lack of that 'bum feeling' in sims, though.

Edited by guiporsche, Jun 21 2017 - 07:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links