- - - - -

Can Gpl Be Patched To Run Long Tracks Outside Of A Mod?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 09:16 AM

I don't use GEM and want to incorporate Spa67 into a couple of stand alone GPL installations on my computer.  Is this possible--i.e. can GPL.exe or some other file be patched to enable long track support in a non-mod install of GPL and without the use of GEM?  I have separate GPLs for all of the various series/seasons I'm editing and it's just easier for me to work with the files that way.  I'd like to run Spa67 in a couple of them.

Thanks for any info!

#2 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,837 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 09:24 AM

Spa67 isn't any longer than Spa. You don't need a mod or GEM to run it. It's not considered a long track but it's the only one you mentioned.

#3 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 09:38 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Jul 24 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

Spa67 isn't any longer than Spa. You don't need a mod or GEM to run it. It's not considered a long track but it's the only one you mentioned.

But for some reason I can't get the track to load.  My laptop has an RTX 2070 so that should not be the problem.  The Spa67 website indicates that the GPL 67 patch 1.3 is required to run the track with 67cars and the mods patch GPL as well, so I'm wondering if there's something in the patch that allows Spa 67 to run?

Edited by Argyle1968, Jul 24 2020 - 09:40 AM.

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

60fps GPL

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 10:15 AM

Afair you need the V2 Rasterizers, that's the only thing I know.

#5 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 10:42 AM

Thanks, but I have the version 2 rasterizers already installed.  I can load every other track except the "long tracks"  requiring the long track patch.   There's nothing in the spa67 folder other than what was installed.  I tried the lite and low res packages and still could not load the track.  I switched between openGL2 and Direct3d2 and that didn't work. I searched all through this forum and found nothing.   I can't think of anything else.

Edited by Argyle1968, Jul 24 2020 - 10:42 AM.

#6 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 10:45 AM

If you have V2 rasters installed, do you also have the 32bit texture option activated ?

core.ini
[RasterV2]
32Bit= 1

What mod are you testing with ?
69x has a problem against the AI offline with Spa67

Edited by paul skingley, Jul 24 2020 - 10:46 AM.

#7 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 10:57 AM

View Postpaul skingley, on Jul 24 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

If you have V2 rasters installed, do you also have the 32bit texture option activated ?

core.ini
[RasterV2]
32Bit= 1

What mod are you testing with ?
69x has a problem against the AI offline with Spa67

32 bit textures are on.  I'm testing with a separate GPL.exe, a 1970 carset using the 1969 (not the Xtra) cars.  It's not a mod or part of a mod and doesn't use GEM to initialize.  I just double click the gpl.exe in the '1970F1' folder and it runs.  All tracks will load except Spa67.

#8 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,228 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 11:46 AM

1.3 patch enables the season-related files like t67 for trk, 367 for 3do, etc.

http://srmz.net/inde...4875#entry36684

Edited by fajanko, Jul 24 2020 - 11:47 AM.

#9 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 12:56 PM

Looks like you've created your own problem. What do you have against GEM? We all use it.

#10 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 01:34 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Jul 24 2020 - 12:56 PM, said:

Looks like you've created your own problem. What do you have against GEM? We all use it.

I started creating carsets before GEM came along.  I found it easier to use separate GPL directories  than switch carsets with the early carset changer, which gave me some problems.  When GEM came along  I had too many carsets and too much invested to go back to a single GPL directory.  

Whether it's a "problem" or not depends on whether it's the 1.3 patch or some hardware issue that's keeping me from running Spa67, which is the only track I've not been able to load.  If it's a "long track" that requires 1.3 that's fine, I'll open a fresh GPL directory and patch it.  But it still doesn't answer my question--whether SPA67 can be run as a stand alone track without using GEM.  I can't find the answer anywhere.

#11 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 01:49 PM

Ok, my present install is the Papy install with the 1.08 installer. I was using GEM for a couple of utilities but I just deleted it. I installed Spa67 and just ran a quick race and it ran fine.

Now you have your answer.

#12 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,228 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 01:57 PM

View PostArgyle1968, on Jul 24 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

I started creating carsets before GEM came along.  I found it easier to use separate GPL directories  than switch carsets with the early carset changer, which gave me some problems.  When GEM came along  I had too many carsets and too much invested to go back to a single GPL directory.  

Whether it's a "problem" or not depends on whether it's the 1.3 patch or some hardware issue that's keeping me from running Spa67, which is the only track I've not been able to load.  If it's a "long track" that requires 1.3 that's fine, I'll open a fresh GPL directory and patch it.  But it still doesn't answer my question--whether SPA67 can be run as a stand alone track without using GEM.  I can't find the answer anywhere.

You said Spa67 needs 1.3 patch installed. The page I linked said 1.3 patch needs to be installed via GEM. So I think yes, you need latest GEM to be able to run Spa67.

Edited by fajanko, Jul 24 2020 - 01:57 PM.

#13 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 02:01 PM

No you don't. Read my post above yours.

#14 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 02:12 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Jul 24 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

Ok, my present install is the Papy install with the 1.08 installer. I was using GEM for a couple of utilities but I just deleted it. I installed Spa67 and just ran a quick race and it ran fine.

Now you have your answer.

Interesting.  That means that, somehow my GPL.exe files have gotten patched in some way so as to prevent Spa67 from running.  Guess I'll have to a new install just for that track.  Thanks for the feedback.

#15 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

60fps GPL

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 02:28 PM

you need the gplc67.exe to run Spa67,
I think Pete has patched his exe, whenever GEM stats a race or you shut it it saves+patches a new gplc67.exe

#16 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 02:38 PM

Exactly, Spa67 needs the gplc67.exe as stated on the GPL Spa67 website.  See IMPORTANT section.

http://spa67.gplworld.de/

Sometimes I wonder why we spend time on writing instructions.
Sorry for thinking out loud. ;)

Quote:
------------
Installation
To install Spa67, run the installer and follow the instruction carefully.
Note: Installed Spa67 track folder is located in [game folder]\tracks\spa67

IMPORTANT:
To run the track with '67 F1 cars you MUST install GPL 67 Patch v1.3.
If you cannot find gplc67.exe in your GPL game folder, that means you haven't installed 1.3 patch or configured with GEM+.
Please download the patch from GPL 67 Patch v1.3 or at SRMZ and follow the instruction carefully.
After installing the 1.3 patch, GPL will still display "GPL.1.2.0.2" in game.
To play, run the game via GEM+ or gplc67.exe instead.

The track also requires V2 rasterizers, available here: V2 Rasterizers or at SRMZ
------------

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jul 24 2020 - 02:41 PM.

#17 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Football

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostStefan Roess, on Jul 24 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

I've decided not to name it "ReadMe" any more for my patches as apparently some people were reading it as "IgnoreMe" instead.  Maybe "Don'tReadMeUnderPenaltyOfDeath" might work better.  :)

I share your frustration as we do spend of lot of time writing and revising these help files.  :hithead:

#18 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 03:05 PM

View PostStefan Roess, on Jul 24 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

Exactly, Spa67 needs the gplc67.exe as stated on the GPL Spa67 website.  See IMPORTANT section.

http://spa67.gplworld.de/

Sorry for thinking out loud. ;)

Quote:
------------
Installation
To install Spa67, run the installer and follow the instruction carefully.
Note: Installed Spa67 track folder is located in [game folder]\tracks\spa67

IMPORTANT:
To run the track with '67 F1 cars you MUST install GPL 67 Patch v1.3.
If you cannot find gplc67.exe in your GPL game folder, that means you haven't installed 1.3 patch or configured with GEM+.
Please download the patch from GPL 67 Patch v1.3 or at SRMZ and follow the instruction carefully.
After installing the 1.3 patch, GPL will still display "GPL.1.2.0.2" in game.
To play, run the game via GEM+ or gplc67.exe instead.

------------

Well unfortunately that's not my particular problem because I tried Spa67 in a GPL directory with a patched gplc67.exe.  I had tried to use GEM with a previous install of GPL so I had a patched GPLc67.exe, which I had tried to run.  I still couldn't load Spa67, so I'm thinking it might just be too heavy for my PC, even though I just bought it.  Either that or I have some file corrupted somewhere.

Edited by Argyle1968, Jul 24 2020 - 03:07 PM.

#19 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 24 2020 - 06:24 PM

Which mod/car are you using to run Spa67? The F1 1969 Extra mod is the heaviest for a PC system.

Do you get any error message? Does the track start to load at all?

Do other tracks with the same mod/car work fine?

Can you please give us more info on your laptop wth a RTX 2070 graphics card? Processor? RAM? Operation System? ...?

#20 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Jul 25 2020 - 01:13 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Jul 24 2020 - 06:24 PM, said:

Which mod/car are you using to run Spa67? The F1 1969 Extra mod is the heaviest for a PC system.

Do you get any error message? Does the track start to load at all?

Do other tracks with the same mod/car work fine?

Can you please give us more info on your laptop wth a RTX 2070 graphics card? Processor? RAM? Operation System? ...?

Processor is an Intel Core i7-10750H, 32 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 and running Windows 10.
I'm presently not using a mod or GEM.  Some time ago when the original 1969 mod was released I used GEM to install it and the 67 cars, then copied the  1969 'Cars' directory to a standalone folder, from which I copied the car .DAT files.  Since then, I've copied my GPL directory and restructured my GPL hierarchy as follows:

c:]GPL\
             F11970\GPL\gpl.exe
             F11969\GPL\gpl.exe
             F11965\GPL\gpl.exe

and so on.  One complete subfolder for each year or season type, complete with cars, tracks and all other GPL subfolders.  The 1965 GPL uses the 65 cars from that mod.  The 67 season uses the 67 cars.  The 69 and 70 seasons use the original 69 cars.  The formula 5000 sets use modified versions of some of  the 69 cars,  So essentially I originally used GEM to patch GPL and be able to take the cars from those mods, edit some of the carshapes, and incorporate them into the carsets and various series I've worked on and run them as separate functioning GPL installations.  That was the idea.  And it works with every other track I've tried, except for Spa67.  I've tried installing it in every GPL folder I have, because they all derive from a GPL folder that was originally patched with GEM, and each of them has a GPLc67.exe in it, but to no avail.  Every time I try to load the track, I get a "Could not load the track" error message.  

It probably has something to do with no longer using GEM.  When I get a replacement GPL disk in a few days, I'm going to try to install a fresh copy of GPL to my system, install GEM, and patch GPL accordingly and install Spa67.  Hopefully that will allow me to load the track so I can run it with one of the mods.  It doesn't solve my problem, though--what I really want is to be able to run Spa67 with the existing GPL cars I've created.  Hence my original question--whether Spa67 could be run as a stand alone track or GPL could be patched to do so without using GEM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links