Jump to content


- - - - -

Monza Popup Flickering Scenery Fix


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Saiph

Saiph

    Drives 4 Team BDS

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aylesbury, UK
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 28 2018 - 03:27 PM

Hi all.

For some time I've had a problem at Monza, where distant scenery pops into view a little too late, and leads to white, flickering images being seen in the distance. This happens as I'm going through the Serraglio kink, with the flickering images showing up under the bridge, at the Ascari curve (see attached diagram).

I've done a bit of experimentation with Strava's FB Adjust utility, and I've slightly increased the forward view distance for several of the track sectors near the Serraglio kink, and this seems to have fixed the problem for me.

If you have the same problem, then download the attached "Monza_popup_reduction3" zip file, extract the .3DO file and drop it into your "Monza" track directory. Hopefully the flickering white images will disappear.

Please note: There have been a number of updates released for the Monza track over the years. Please check your Monza track folder and see if you already have a "Monza.3DO" file there. If you do, either rename it or move it somewhere safe so you can revert back to it if there are problems with my new .3DO file.

EDIT: It seems my original testing was not quite thorough enough, and some white flickering was still showing up under certain circumstances (for example if you took a wide line through the Serraglio). I've now updated the .3DO file to "Monza_popup_reduction3" and I HOPE that all the white pixels should be gone! :crossfingers: Please let me know if you spot any further problems - I want this update to be as good as it possibly can be. :thumbup:

Attached Files


Edited by Saiph, Dec 28 2018 - 07:39 PM.


#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

    Targa Fan

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida - USA
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 28 2018 - 03:49 PM

Keith, congrats on making a good adjustment to the FB distances at the two track locations.

Thanks for "getting your feet wet" in track editing.  :thumbup:

Edited by gliebzeit, Dec 28 2018 - 04:04 PM.


#3 SV3000

SV3000

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:B.C. Canada
  • Interests:all kinds of racing games
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Dec 28 2018 - 05:36 PM

Hi, just made a few laps with different 3do, and the fix worked wonderfully! Many thanks!
(there is still a very tiny flickering white between the bridge and far road edge as soon as the car nose pointed to the bridge, it only last less than a few milliseconds and most of time unnoticeable.)

#4 Saiph

Saiph

    Drives 4 Team BDS

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aylesbury, UK
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 28 2018 - 05:59 PM

View PostSV3000, on Dec 28 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

Hi, just made a few laps with different 3do, and the fix worked wonderfully! Many thanks!
(there is still a very tiny flickering white between the bridge and far road edge as soon as the car nose pointed to the bridge, it only last less than a few milliseconds and most of time unnoticeable.)

:duh: :wall:  Thanks for being so observant, SV! Y'know what happened? I was so excited about finishing and testing the final sector adjustment, I copied the wrong version of the .3DO into the .ZIP file. The version I originally posted was missing the final change. However, I've now edited the first post with a new .ZIP file, AND I have just re-downloaded it and installed it into my Monza directory to make sure it's correct! Hopefully there are now 0% flickering white pixels! :crossfingers:

Sorry about that!

EDIT: I've just done some more checking, and it seems that white pixels can still show up under some circumstances! I'm investigating further, but it seems to be linked to the line that you take through the Serraglio kink (a wider line seems to show the pixels), and also possibly it's linked to the angle of the car. Watch for further updates. I'm determined to get rid of all the white pixels, even if I have to climb into my computer screen and paint the b****y things with a paintbrush! :D

EDIT 2: I've now done some more thorough testing and updated the .ZIP file to "Monza_popup_reduction3" in the first post, so please try it! I think all the white pixels have now been successfully deported!

Edited by Saiph, Dec 28 2018 - 07:42 PM.


#5 SV3000

SV3000

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:B.C. Canada
  • Interests:all kinds of racing games
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Dec 28 2018 - 07:54 PM

Hi, thanks for the quick update and reply, I just tested the new version and it looks perfect now! Great effort for making the fix, thank you so much!

#6 db312

db312

    Always in the lead

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:switzerland
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 28 2018 - 08:59 PM

I would like to thank you Saiph, but when I tried your update, the track won't load... :(...
I send you the basic updates I use (all the others have no other 3do) hoping that perhaps you could tell me what's wrong with it...

Attached Files



#7 Saiph

Saiph

    Drives 4 Team BDS

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aylesbury, UK
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 28 2018 - 11:15 PM

db, I'm sorry but I don't think I'm going to be able to help much. I only have two Monza addon files in my GPL collection. One is called "very nice addon for Monza full version 08", dated from 2008, and another just called "Monza addon", dated 2007. The "Monza addon" looks like it might contain the same files as your "1_......" addon, as it includes the same "readme.txt" file and "Mirror Zone.txt" file.

Most of the Monza addons I've seen are very badly documented, with no author's name, date, or anything else. Sometimes they don't even have a readme file. And the various addons do all sorts of different things, such as updating trackside advertising, improving the trees etc etc. So it's very difficult to keep track of which objects are being updated and/or replaced. If you have addons which include .3DO files, that can sometimes cause clashes if you try to use more than one update at a time.

It seems that my updated .3DO file isn't compatible with the addons that you're using, so I don't think you'll be able to use it.

#8 SV3000

SV3000

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:B.C. Canada
  • Interests:all kinds of racing games
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 12:14 AM

Agree with Saiph, the "very nice addon" is pretty good, here is a list of updates that I use nowadays:
(in install order)

1. monzaRock.7z (this is the base, everything else is optional)
http://srmz.net/inde...=20#entry103897

2. tr_monza - addon textures very nice monza 08 full (seegert).zip
http://srmz.net/inde...803

3. Monza_hedgerow_Thomas-Lächele.rar
http://srmz.net/inde...=40#entry107491

4. monza_asphalt&sounds_Pavel.zip
http://srmz.net/inde...=20#entry103697

#9 -XK-

-XK-

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 05:23 AM

View Postdb312, on Dec 28 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

I would like to thank you Saiph, but when I tried your update, the track won't load... :(...
I send you the basic updates I use (all the others have no other 3do) hoping that perhaps you could tell me what's wrong with it...

===> quick fix 4 U ... hope it works

-XK-

Attached Files



#10 tjc

tjc

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland.
  • Interests:Various
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 07:12 AM

This is a very interesting thread for me guys as I`m experimenting with updating Monza myself. Started it ages ago but I`m back to it now. I`ve put in a new asphalt and some curbing but would really like to update the trees/hedges etc and the people/crowds etc as well as quite a few other things.

As it stands now I`m just experimenting as I`ve said and still have a lot to learn about editing in GPL so it`s a slow process but I`m really enjoying it.

I may try some of those updates you posted SV if that`s ok. I never knew TL did a hedgerow.

Monza certainly is bothered with a lot of flickering and pop-ups so I`ll try out your fix for that too Saiph. :thumbup:

:)

#11 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 09:07 AM

to add confusion to this very clever thread, here another work on Monza you may want to try certainly on a separate Monza folder

http://www.mediafire...rix legends.rar

by Culmone67

Edited by M Needforspeed, Dec 29 2018 - 09:17 AM.


#12 tjc

tjc

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland.
  • Interests:Various
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 01:35 PM

Thanks M. Will check it out. :)

#13 db312

db312

    Always in the lead

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:switzerland
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 02:18 PM

View Post-XK-, on Dec 29 2018 - 05:23 AM, said:

===> quick fix 4 U ... hope it works

-XK-

It works ! :yeah:

Many thanks to both of you Saiph and XK ! :thumbup:
But as you said Saiph, I noticed there are still some little pop-up... Particularly at the the entrance of the parabolica curve... :shrug:

If some of you are interested, some years ago I change the people using textures from the Mexico update.
And I added also two files to the Monza_hedgerow_Thomas-Lächele...

Attached Files



#14 Brett77

Brett77

    Jimmy Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Formula One
    Motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 05:48 PM

Amazing refinements, thank you all.

Edited by Brett77, Dec 29 2018 - 05:49 PM.


#15 tjc

tjc

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland.
  • Interests:Various
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 06:46 PM

View Postdb312, on Dec 29 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

If some of you are interested, some years ago I change the people using textures from the Mexico update.
And I added also two files to the Monza_hedgerow_Thomas-Lächele...

Many thanks for these db. Much appreciated. Will check them out asap. :thumbup:

Edited by tjc, Dec 29 2018 - 06:46 PM.


#16 Saiph

Saiph

    Drives 4 Team BDS

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aylesbury, UK
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 30 2018 - 04:22 AM

View Postdb312, on Dec 29 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

......
Many thanks to both of you Saiph and XK ! :thumbup:

You're welcome. :dont_mention:

View Postdb312, on Dec 29 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

But as you said Saiph, I noticed there are still some little pop-up... Particularly at the the entrance of the parabolica curve... :shrug:
........

That's odd. After fixing the Serraglio/Ascari problems, I don't see any other major popup problems at all on my version of Monza. After reading what you posted, I deliberately drove slowly along the back straight and into Parabolica, and I don't see any popups at all. :idunno:

#17 deegee

deegee

    ...

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Derbyshire, UK
  • Interests:GPL, Grand Prix racing in the 60s.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 30 2018 - 05:08 AM

Thanks Saiph and XK (and to db312 for your people and hedgerow files).
I had the same problem as db312 with your file, Saiph, but problem solved by the file supplied by -XK-.
I can't remember which addons are in my Monza folder (there have been several....) but the popup at Serraglio/Ascari is now completely gone.
Many thanks to you all, gentlemen.

#18 Ramoats

Ramoats

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 16 2019 - 04:27 PM

View PostSaiph, on Dec 28 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Hi all.

For some time I've had a problem at Monza, where distant scenery pops into view a little too late, and leads to white, flickering images being seen in the distance. This happens as I'm going through the Serraglio kink, with the flickering images showing up under the bridge, at the Ascari curve (see attached diagram).

I've done a bit of experimentation with Strava's FB Adjust utility, and I've slightly increased the forward view distance for several of the track sectors near the Serraglio kink, and this seems to have fixed the problem for me.

If you have the same problem, then download the attached "Monza_popup_reduction3" zip file, extract the .3DO file and drop it into your "Monza" track directory. Hopefully the flickering white images will disappear.

Please note: There have been a number of updates released for the Monza track over the years. Please check your Monza track folder and see if you already have a "Monza.3DO" file there. If you do, either rename it or move it somewhere safe so you can revert back to it if there are problems with my new .3DO file.

EDIT: It seems my original testing was not quite thorough enough, and some white flickering was still showing up under certain circumstances (for example if you took a wide line through the Serraglio). I've now updated the .3DO file to "Monza_popup_reduction3" and I HOPE that all the white pixels should be gone! :crossfingers: Please let me know if you spot any further problems - I want this update to be as good as it possibly can be. :thumbup:

Hi Saiph ... I had two white box pop ups on my beautiful monza install. Your 3do FIXED the one as I approached ascari. Thank You !

I still have an annoying one as I approach curva grande. You have never noticed one there?

#19 Ramoats

Ramoats

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 16 2019 - 04:56 PM

View Post-XK-, on Dec 29 2018 - 05:23 AM, said:

===> quick fix 4 U ... hope it works

-XK-

XK .. I tried your 3do and I believe it helped ascari ... but when I cleared Parabolica there was a stairway leading up to a timing and scoring tower that your 3do apparently removed.... Thanks though .....

Edited by Ramoats, Mar 16 2019 - 05:01 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links