Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 01 2014 - 01:59 PM

Just for reference. I don't know if you remember the thread i started to try and find a realistic setup. Realistic to the real cars that is.

I made what I thought was close to the real cars. Even with a 45/85/1 diff setting. It had so much understeer I found it undrivable. That pretty much made me give up trying to duplicate the real settings. Maybe the wheel rates are close, but the rest can't be close.

I used to talk to Andy Wilkes a lot in the old days. he told me the setups he posted were what he raced. Loose setups are easy on tire temps, because they turn so well. It's an understeering setup that overheats the front tires. Also a loose diff setting on the power side will overheat the inside rear tire from so much tire slip coming off the turns.

I remember when I first started to drive GPL tires overheating was a big problem. Once I satrted to go to looser setups like Steve's and the other aliens. Tire heat wasn't a problem anymore. as a matter of fact. If you didn't really push hard. You couldn't get enough heat in the tires for maximum grip.

#22 Josef Paul

Josef Paul

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted Feb 01 2014 - 01:59 PM

Steve, your contribution is still being appreciated. I loaded your 65 Lotus replay at the Ring along with Phil's and my own. I merged the laps and spent a very enjoyable 8 minutes watching you guys slowly get away. I was 7 seconds behind at the end and very motivated to get closer. I loaded up your setup and went back to work. My point being that, hopefully, nothing in GPL entirely goes away.

#23 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Feb 01 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Feb 01 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Just for reference. I don't know if you remember the thread i started to try and find a realistic setup. Realistic to the real cars that is.

I made what I thought was close to the real cars. Even with a 45/85/1 diff setting. It had so much understeer I found it undrivable. That pretty much made me give up trying to duplicate the real settings. Maybe the wheel rates are close, but the rest can't be close.

I used to talk to Andy Wilkes a lot in the old days. he told me the setups he posted were what he raced. Loose setups are easy on tire temps, because they turn so well. It's an understeering setup that overheats the front tires. Also a loose diff setting on the power side will overheat the inside rear tire from so much tire slip coming off the turns.

I remember when I first started to drive GPL tires overheating was a big problem. Once I satrted to go to looser setups like Steve's and the other aliens. Tire heat wasn't a problem anymore. as a matter of fact. If you didn't really push hard. You couldn't get enough heat in the tires for maximum grip.

I basically agree with what you say. :) Used to race guys like Andy and Greger, only in N2003 leagues that was. Great guys on and off the track!

This is how I setup the car:

I want an amount of wheelrate correctly, and the ratio between front rear, so that it's balanced over the car's total weight including driverweight and fuel (in GPL!, not duplicating real 1967 settings), with the right weightbalance (often in approach as I don't know the exact weightbalance for most mods, however I think most default setups have the right wheelrates as a base). Depending on the track characteristics you need to add some and keep the ratio in order not to bottom out. You want the car as low as possible for a low gravity centre. Ofcourse sometimes (especially at tracks with lots of height differences) you need to have a higher ride height and bigger bump rubbers in order not to bottom out. Like at the N├╝rburgring going up and down.

For the rest it's tire analysis and adjusting tirepressures and camber and find the right amount of ARB, and a ratio to find the right balance. I keep conservative toe settings, little toe out/little toe in. Mostly use average bump/rebound settings. Further tweaking diff and eventually fine tuning it with GPL setupmanager, plus gearing, brakebias and strg lock. I use mostly diffs with 5-7% locking percentage (45/45/1 and alike) on both sides, on and off.  I want my tiretemps in balance front/rear, rather a slight balance to the rear, I hate understeer, and when the fuel burns off you will get slightly more understeer, in my experience, due to the shifting weight balance I guess. But by your driving you can manage the tiretemps also...then it's basically only finetuning, and finding the right ARB amount and ratio in the end to find the balance I like. Qual setup has less fuel, 1% less brakebias, and slightly more rear bar.

In the end it's a personal thing, setups, everyone drives different and has their own preferences. There is absolutely no right or wrong in setups. If it works for you, then it's right for you. But having a certain method setting up and creating a base setup might help, this has become my method now. When you drive the same sort setups you get used to it and will be more comfortable predicting how the car will handle, giving more confidence. :racer:

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Feb 01 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#24 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,531 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Feb 02 2014 - 10:48 AM

Yes, that's the bottom line Robert. No matter how fast a setup is for someone else. It won't work for someone else if it isn't comfortable to drive. We all know what we like the car to feel like.

I thought I read Greg Stewart say one time he could get within 2 seconds of his fastest times at each track with the stock default setups with fuel removed. That would still put him around -70. Sort of proves aliens aren't fast, because of their setups. They're fast, because of talent.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Feb 02 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#25 ccc

ccc

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:f2 replay on gplrank

Posted Feb 16 2014 - 02:28 AM

paco   i am using sc69 setup you don;t really have to change anything to make them work in the 69x just have to do lap time in them, to get used the the feel of the track in the 69x rank

btw what time you got on gplrank

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links