- - - - -

Can Anyone Explain How To Make The Chapparal 2F Wing Work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:I love classic racing.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 05 2020 - 10:57 AM

I know how it works, but I'm trying to understand how to get it to properly work. I've noticed that the wing usually just gives me extreme understeer and nothing more. I've tried to find ways to take advantage. Like, using the downforce for turn in, then flatten the wing on the exit to slingshot myself, but I'm not seeing much improvement. Is this where modifying the max angle helps manage the car?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm literally almost 2 seconds faster than car I'm second fastest in. It just didn't feel like I was going faster. I'm a big idiot.

Edited by Dunderbolt, Jul 05 2020 - 01:18 PM.

#2 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jul 05 2020 - 03:45 PM

Look at this

http://srmz.net/inde...l=&fromsearch=1

TP:

#3 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:I love classic racing.

Posted Jul 05 2020 - 07:23 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jul 05 2020 - 03:45 PM, said:

I know how to change it, as in mid-race. But I felt as if it slowed me down and I didn't "feel" faster, as in going through corners with the wing deployed and taking advantage of the downforce. I just compared my times between two cars and realized how dumb I felt when I was two seconds faster in the 2F than the car I was fastest in that wasn't the 2F

#4 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 05 2020 - 08:20 PM

You've encountered the situation of a car that handles very well not "feeling" fast.  In RL such cars are very dangerous to drive because you are not aware how far you are pushing them til you go too far.

#5 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Jul 05 2020 - 11:49 PM

It's because in old GT mod Chapparal 2F had always maximum downforce as and in the same time low drag as with 'open' wing. So it was easy to set the car and drive fast. In new SC mod wing operation is modelled to simulate real car. So with wing car has downforce but more drag, and with 'open' wing car has low drag but also low downforce. So car is need to be set bit differently and you need to learn how to use wing advantages. So you need bit different approach to drive 2F fast in SC mod.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links