John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 10 2018 - 07:52 PM

Probably at the organization level it is appropriate to have geographic representatives as much as possible given the claim of being a world cup event.

At the driver entrant level it would be unfortunate if given for example a  strict three member team that the interested and enthusiastic fourth place qualifier was not eligible to advance even though their times could have qualified them in a globally open challenge.

It is very often the case with bracketed eliminations that two or more very good players or teams are in the same bracket and another bracket is more evenly balanced or has fewer better competitors. The "best" don't always win and may not reach the finals.

Of course it wouldn't matter if alongside national team entries privateers are allowed on the grid.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Jan 11 2018 - 06:50 AM.

#47 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Jan 11 2018 - 03:58 AM

View Postskx, on Jan 10 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

Hi there ! :)

I sent MP to guys who said OK to be the spokesperson for their country :
If we agree to continue to form this kind of organization committee, the following countries should fine someone and contact me :
- Belgique
- UK
- USA
- Italy

Any country more ?

Best,
ToM

I would happily stand up for Hungary, but I'm afraid I'm the only active (erhm.. well at least interested) driver from this country - so I could not really represent anyone else. I may team up with Michi forming a historical Austro-Hungarian Empire :)

#48 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,318 posts

Posted Jan 11 2018 - 10:36 AM

Jani, as I understand the call out is for members of an organizing and sanctioning committee?
So far, happy this thread is it and you are here.

Hopeful tho celebration itself is most open to anyone who wants to be part of the party.

I've thought Robert's idea of using the original cars and tracks for a world cup is a pretty neat idea as well.
When someone turns 20, we celebrate the person they have become.

World Cup events could be scheduled for the next eleven years with single "original" track featured each year?
In that case I would vote for Spa67 and the 67 F1s at 36fps to start things out.

Edited by John Woods, Jan 11 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#49 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 11 2018 - 07:26 PM

View Postfajanko, on Jan 11 2018 - 03:58 AM, said:

I would happily stand up for Hungary, but I'm afraid I'm the only active (erhm.. well at least interested) driver from this country - so I could not really represent anyone else. I may team up with Michi forming a historical Austro-Hungarian Empire :)

And this here is my main problem with running this primarily as a Nation Cup. Too few players in most countries not reviving the Empire that is.

View PostJohn Woods, on Jan 11 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

Jani, as I understand the call out is for members of an organizing and sanctioning committee?

I can be mistaken but this is not what it sounds like to me. I'd be be happy to organize this but I dont have the tools to host a race. So I'm sitting on the sidelines throwing in hopefully helpful comments.

Single race is too luck dependent for my taste. Thinking about how some racers complain about hitting technical troubles in 1 out 16 races in a season, dont want to think about the moaning when someone discos out of a single race event. 7 races lets the law of averages somewhat work its magic.

If you got a server running 24/7, just a looping practice session, can you record the times people did?

#50 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,318 posts

Posted Jan 11 2018 - 08:16 PM

View Postskx, on Jan 08 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

From now on, maybe each country can "elect" only one person to take place in the "organization committee" that will be the only one allowed to define the WC rules.
ToM

View Postjonny, on Jan 08 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Ok Tom  :up: , so I speak on behalf of GPLBrasil

View Postmcmirande, on Jan 08 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

I'm speaking with the remaining argentinian guys.
Don't know if anybody else want to be "the" person representing Argentina, but I'll survey it.

Cheers. Marcos

View PostRobert Fleurke, on Jan 09 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

Good point Tom!
So far we have:
Jonny O - Brazil
Marcos Mirande  - Argentina (depending on survey)
Tom Guérout - France
Robert Fleurke - Netherlands (unless someone else wants to take up the gauntlet)
Guys like Michi might want to be involved as well among others!?

JMO if someone wants to help organize with any helpful contribution they should be good to go.
More chefs make it easier to brew the stew?

It would not have to be a single race if it were a single track.
Really only suggested one track to stretch possibilities before things get locked in.
Three 1hr races for final event at Spa67 ought to sort any field?

Maybe the tracks considered should be among the most reliable on-line?

Edited by John Woods, Jan 11 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#51 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Jan 12 2018 - 10:57 AM

View PostMichkov, on Jan 11 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

If you got a server running 24/7, just a looping practice session, can you record the times people did?

Yes you can ;)
But on some tracks you gain a lot using a tow...

IMO we should not do it as a Nation Cup, but as it was in real life, let the national leagues organize their home GP.
Formula 1 allways was a drivers world championship, the manufacturers was with GT/Prototypes in 1967! There was never a nation cup...

Edited by Cookie, Jan 12 2018 - 10:57 AM.

#52 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,318 posts

Posted Jan 12 2018 - 04:21 PM

Well, actually, just so we know...

Beginning in 1899 the Automobile Club of France began hosting an annual race featuring The International Racing Trophy, funded in part by American publisher James Bennett, who wanted to promote competition and obviously sell newspapers. Each participating country could field a maximum of three teams. While these were privately funded they were designated by the publisher's rules to be "national teams," (my quotes), as it was his idea and his money. Races on rarely supervised public roads ran 500 kilometers.

Agree with Cookie and a few others regarding a nation cup. If that were truly in replica then for instance points-earning British cars, that did have British teams, would score points for Britain because IRL that is what they did.

Grand Prix Legends is and has been everywhere...it was international from the start.

Generally, as I understand, up to a full field posting a time within 107% of the pole gets you in the race?
Or is it 103?

Tell you what, this could be some mighty fine racing.

Party-party.

Edited by John Woods, Jan 12 2018 - 08:02 PM.

#53 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted Jan 12 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostCookie, on Jan 12 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

View PostMichkov, on Jan 11 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

Yes you can ;)
But on some tracks you gain a lot using a tow...

I was more thinking of using it as a way to split grids if the need should arise. The way I imagine it, you'd run the server in practice mode (dunno if it's possible to run practice only if not just run max length practice and a 1 lap race) for at least 24 prior to the race. If the field is 20+ you'd split it right down the middle sorted by times on the server.

View PostJohn Woods, on Jan 12 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Generally, as I understand, up to a full field posting a time within 107% of the pole gets you in the race?
Or is it 103?

It's series dependent but current F1 uses 107% yes. Imo that is too harsh a rule for online racing.

Edited by Michkov, Jan 12 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#54 efarina

efarina

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Jan 13 2018 - 04:23 PM

i'm ready for  that event in mexican representation, unfortunitly there is not to much gpl drivers from mexico, and the rest of latin  america  ( exept argentina uruguay and brazil) it's impossible found.
  I can  talk whit other fast driver in mexico ( carlos cendejas) for made team whit me, but I need 2 drivers more fore made a (rest of north american team), thast it's  all than I can do for mexico , but tell me if need help, I can do that :-)

#55 efarina

efarina

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Jan 13 2018 - 04:26 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Jan 05 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

How many countries would race and how many drivers by country?

I think if you get teams of 5 drivers by country (ideally 6), and there are something like 18 countries/regions (?), we could race 6 races in each track, randomizing which team race with which on every track, and simply summing up points at the end.

With gpl-weekly as a common platform, the organization shouldn't be that difficult

Marcos
  MEXICO are ready

#56 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 07:26 AM

I believe that August and September can serve to have 7 races, of 15 days between them
I say August and September because the leagues can change in advance their most important championships

#57 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 07:31 AM

F1 legends have an excellent practice table
something similar can be used for the classification for each race
the number of servers and scoring system can only be defined after having a number of registered drivers

#58 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 07:40 AM

I like to think that you should keep proportional points
where everyone can score for having more than two servers
so you need to know how many drivers
example
traditional is 9 6 4 3 2 1
proportional to 57 drivers 123, 82, 55, 54, 53, 52, 51, 50 ...........

#59 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 01:32 PM

of objective I can affirm that here we have 2 servers available, that of GplBrasil and Mybroga.

#60 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 06:30 PM

View Postjonny, on Jan 14 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

I like to think that you should keep proportional points
where everyone can score for having more than two servers
so you need to know how many drivers
example
traditional is 9 6 4 3 2 1
proportional to 57 drivers 123, 82, 55, 54, 53, 52, 51, 50 ...........

Explain please I cant work out how you got to those numbers.

Just to throw in another idea, how about rally style scoring? Tallying up race times across all races, missed laps to be a spec time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links