#1 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 23 2017 - 03:51 PM

Many years ago, testing taught me, 'Pong' and 'Space Invaders,' designed for ancient  Win 3.1, run well on Win98, after installing a Win 3.1 Emulator.  Legends failed to step backwards in Wintime, and I've not tried since. :angrypc:

Returning to the 21st century - is it time to consider applying this reverse engineering to our Sim, to free it from annoying updates, and future hazards?  Is there a Virtual machine made yet, to run WinXp from within Windows10 ?  

I'm not 10 equipped, so can't test or recommend a Virtual XP, or 7, but it would be interesting to hear if someone already has.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 26 2017 - 12:39 PM

Just searched a bit and looks like running Grand Prix Legends in virtual machine has potential, perhaps especially for Win8/8.1 users who seem to have the most problems.

Have a vague recollection someone commented about this in the past?

Interesting idea and maybe a solution when all else fails?

Still on XP for GPL, so no problems and can't test.

:D

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Dec 26 2017 - 06:37 PM

John Interesting line in your reply, regarding playing gpl on XP.

Always wanted to know. I have just refurbished an old Vista machine, for classic gaming. I use my Win 8.1 or Win 10 tablet for mostly emails,downloading,shopping and surfing the net.

So I only use the old Vista for gaming.Security wise we know Microsoft aren't updating older OS and Win 7 is ready to be dropped too.

How do you and others operate on old systems, to avoid threats and Viruses. Do you keep the internet connection off and only game on the old machine.

Or are there other workarounds ? As we know malware and viruses, can potentially, come through the back door.

Thanks and apologies for the lack of knowledge question.

TP😁

#4 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 27 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hi TP, belated Merry Christmas!
Happy New Year!

Have been running Grand Prix Legends on not-connected not protected exclusively dedicated-to-GPL dual core Pentium tower for many years.

Recently got a 5-device PC Matic license as it does allege to protect XP machines so thinking about taking the rig on-line, maybe, sometime, if/when I get off my butt.

Like to know what you do about on-line security.
Appreciate the PCHelp links btw.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Dec 27 2017 - 09:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links