#622 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Oct 02 2019 - 12:39 AM

Wow with the last one you knocked it out of the park. I'd love to have a high res version of that.

Btw where are you getting the elevation data from?

#623 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 02 2019 - 06:00 AM

I concur with the previous posters (!) that your Montjuic Park track is a gorgeous work of art.
Thank you again for sharing your talents with us, Oscar.

:)

#624 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends ,history

Posted Oct 02 2019 - 06:25 PM

Michkov, on Oct 02 2019 - 12:39 AM, said:

Wow with the last one you knocked it out of the park. I'd love to have a high res version of that.

Btw where are you getting the elevation data from?

https://www.daftlogi...nd-altitude.htm

there are quite a few of them but this one is in my view the easiest to use, now

since the Ginetto/ Bergamo map, he was able to provide me with something a bit more clear and accurate, but I need something fairly easy to access to do all the maps, is hard enough to get the data for the old circuits that sometimes can take a few months, the elevation in lots of cases is available but not freely or not from every place so that can't work for me

after testing around 15 or more places and different data, reading into it, what is free can have some inaccuracies, in some case can be up to 10 ft but usually that can happen in heavily covered areas and with lots of buildings that can create some interference, if you buy the data then it can be a bit more accurate but mostly all of them have a bit of a margin for error, I don't wanna do a long explanation but it also has to do with perspective of the readings, satellites, and if you are dealing with an area from the 30s that now has changed there could be some discrepancies now also

I try to be as accurate as I can with the tools available but also want to be able to keep it consistent with all of them, so it has to work for all of the maps

how accurate this is, it depends on the area and how the data is treated and released, the test were done using 3 tracks, Montjuic, Bergamo and Oulton park, they all have changes of altitude and because I had what Ginetto gave me, I could create some sort of base to compare and see the margin of error, in some cases clicking just a few feet away can give 20 or 30 ft difference, so I had to go over and over and then try to find a common line that makes sense, but the same can be said for measuring the tracks, some known tracks which give an official distance can be off by 100 or more meters in a 5 km track

I always try to get as many recorded info from each track possible and then get an approximation, but I don't wanna spend months and months on each track, not all areas have enough passes and the data has been fully corrected, sometimes an area can have fairly good data but a section belongs to another community or region and that one is not fully corrected and so on

if you liked the Montjuic, wait for the other  variations of it, very interesting

Edited by ozpata, Oct 02 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#625 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 449 posts

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 04:56 AM

Posted Image

#626 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 08:53 AM

Gosh!!  That is one twisty, interesting variant of the Montjuic Park track.

Thank you for your research and artistry, Oscar.  A beautiful track map for sure.  :)

#627 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Oct 07 2019 - 01:39 AM

Thank you, Oscar!

Interesting to see how many optional layout is on the track. I wonder if one day we would have a freely drivable GPL City track :)

#628 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 449 posts

Posted Oct 11 2019 - 08:41 AM

Posted Image

#629 ozpata

ozpata