sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 26 2010 - 03:14 AM

sweet stuff duncan! good work. double the resolution and the hires junkie in me is satisfied fully :P

#142 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Music & Light!

Posted Nov 27 2010 - 06:46 AM

View Postsky, on Nov 26 2010 - 03:14 AM, said:

sweet stuff duncan! good work. double the resolution and the hires junkie in me is satisfied fully :P

Whaaaaat... Posted Image  and I spent hours 'distressing' the large and light grey/beige FINA kites to try and get them all to match up with each other! Haha, seriously though glad you like my work sky.

Yes I had the choice to make the billboard very clean and so more high res, but looking at all the photos of the billboards that I can, it seems they weren't always of the best quality. I guess maybe this was because the boards were used so much with many changing posters each year and at most perhaps a period of 3 years for a few. Anyway I'm trying to keep all the billboards I'm making matching each other for tone and resolution/balance so they won't look silly if placed next to each other!

but here you can see the bmp after I added my vector graphics and some dust and dirt to the billboard but before I distressed the kites for some irregualrity.

Attached Files

Edited by DuncanS, Nov 27 2010 - 06:51 AM.

#143 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Nov 27 2010 - 06:50 AM

Well I had a go at a couple more, I don't have the fon't type for 'Englebert' so had to make it by hand (if anyone knows it please let me know). Clearly BFGoodrich had come out with a revolutionary new tyre in '67 but somehow I don't think it caught on.

Attached Files

Edited by DuncanS, Nov 27 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#144 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Dec 20 2010 - 05:32 PM

Here's the next installment of '67 spa billboards Posted Image

Attached Files

#145 christian

christian

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 75 posts

Posted Dec 26 2010 - 07:25 AM

hey!! ha, one month not in the thread here and things are getting better and better ;)

i've finished  the tracklayout, now we can texture this beautiful piece of racetrack ;)

we see us on the responsitoryforum!  :wave:  :thumbup:

LG, Hatzi

Edited by christian, Dec 26 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#146 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Jul 09 2011 - 04:40 AM

A new one!  Really happy with it Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by DuncanS, Jul 11 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#147 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing, Football

Posted Jul 09 2011 - 03:51 PM

Nice Duncan, but there is no "e" at "nuit"

And I think it's "route" rather than "nuit"

:)

#148 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Jul 09 2011 - 05:50 PM

View PostRemy, on Jul 09 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

Nice Duncan, but there is no "e" at "nuit"

And I think it's "route" rather than "nuit"

:)

Yes, I did check 'nuit' in the dictionary and saw there was no 'e' but because I couldn't think what else it might be I thought heck it's got 'la' in front of it I'm going to add an 'e'! Haha, no seriously I thought perhaps in a certain tense it may have an 'e', clearly not! Thanks for correcting me, 'route' of course makes perfect sense, luckily it wasn't too difficult to change this time. I also discovered a better finish to the board which I think makes the colours match the original photo better and corrected some detail on the headlight I'd missed and sharpened up the figure in the light giving him a little more detail also. I have posted the updated one here and removed my one from the post above.

Thanks again for your help Posted Image

EDIT I have started a new thread on the spa billboards and moved the all the photos & files there.

Edited by DuncanS, Jul 11 2011 - 11:40 AM.

#149 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.

Posted Jul 17 2011 - 02:13 PM

Don't know if you have seen this but it appears that someone is making a version of classic Spa for Rfactor 2.  Here is the link:-

What do our GPL developers think of their effort?  It looks pretty good to me!

#150 Chad1233

Chad1233

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, NASCAR, Cars

Posted Jul 17 2011 - 07:39 PM

Boy it has been a while! Oh by the way that same video was in a earlier page ago. But anyway seeing that his last post was Dec 2010 can we get pretty screenshots on how it looks at the moment? I would be very thankful for this! :)

Edited by Chad1233, Jul 17 2011 - 07:40 PM.

#151 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Jul 18 2011 - 01:13 PM

Not sure, but you may have to wait a while for the release of rF2 on this one. AFAIK that track was nearly ready by now and they *may* (again, not sure) also have tackled another classic 'GPL' track for inclusion in their new sim.  It could be the best classic Spa yet, though, as could the GPL update that's being worked on now.

Btw, did anyone see the first renders of that new community-based sim project by Slightly Mad Studios (from 'Shift') featuring a Lotus 49 (this should be enough to prick up any GPL driver's ears)? Looks awesome, must say. Well, in terms of model renders, at least.

http://www.virtualr....o-new-previews/

If they're willing to pander to the classic car loving audience and their physics engine is adaptable enough, this could be like the old floated-on-Racesimcentral-idea of "if they'd buy the code to GPL and developed it into a GPL2, I'd gladly help pay for the development"!

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

Attached Files

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Jul 18 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#152 christian

christian

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 75 posts

Posted Jul 21 2011 - 12:19 PM

i'll post some pics tomorow in the spa67 thread...

we are working very hard and buisy! :) :) we are a great team and want to make it as accurate as possible. very high res for fast computers and versions for not so fast ;)

regards hatzi :)

#153 christian

christian

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 75 posts

Posted Jul 22 2011 - 02:48 AM

the rf2 version is good, yes, but there are still several mistakes in the layout and in the landscape round the track...  :shrug::oops:   so don't forget, gpl is in its basics 13 years old and rf2 is new... the grafical possibilities of rf2 must be better (shadding, light, highres, etc...), but you can believe me that the spa67 for gpl is going to be a magnificent piece of gpladdon tracks :yeah:  and there is not much inferior to the graphics in comparning to the preview of rf2!! :thumbup:

here are some screenshoots... spa67 thread...

#154 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.

Posted Jul 22 2011 - 02:31 PM

Christian, they look brilliant!

#155 ricknau

ricknau

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Aug 05 2011 - 07:02 PM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Mar 19 2010 - 04:05 PM, said:

Excellent find, Benzman :)

Judging from this excellent footage I think the track was laid out as seen in this pic.

View Postchristian, on Mar 24 2010 - 08:16 AM, said:

... so when i stopped in spa and went around the old circuit i asked some people they are living near malmedy. they told me, that the real track is still there. you can see it on the pictures...  the ways on and off the A27 where built without changing the street. the street which is going into the bushes after burnenville, is the old street to malmedy. The real track wasn`t changed.

lg, hatzi

Well, taking this thread waaaay back to page 1 and page 5, I'd have to say yes Hitman, your overlay onto Google showing the old track route must be right.  I'm excited as heck about trying out the new old Spa for GPL but what led me to this thread was my desire to figure out what of the old track still exits around Malmady leading onto the Masta straight.  And that's because I'M GOING THERE IN 2 WEEKS for the race!  Hot damn, I am so excited!  I'm as excited about driving the old circuit as I am about seeing the race.

My agreement with Hitman's routing comes after doing a ton of video research, mainly studying Grand Prix movie but also looking a many of the great links provided in this thread.  My key piece of evidence is the railroad tracks that are clearly seen in the old footage running right along side the racetrack as soon as it spills out onto the straight.  The Google Maps picture clearly shows the tracks (or the remnants) running right along the modern road that passes under the complex intersection for the A27. And Christian's locals told him the old track road was still there.

I'm hoping to find remains of the short wall on the left that we fly by in the sim just after getting onto the straight.  The Grand Prix movie actually shows two walls.  One that comes up quickly and one a couple hundred yards farther down almost to the house on the left.  That distant one stands a better chance of still existing and I think I see a shadow of it in Google map.

Oh yeah, the trip is going to include a few days in Paris so my plans are to drive a rental car up to Rouen and run around that one too.  The Arch de Triumph? The Louvre? I want REAL history!

#156 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Aug 06 2011 - 05:57 AM

ricknau, if you go up north, checkout the reims geux track, it could really do with a new matching horizon, so if you can be bothered to take a series of pictures (360° total) from some sort of elevated positon, that would really be appreciated (did i mention as hires as possible? :D). i love the track, and thomas' update.. and i have been working on it again some months ago so a good basis for a realistic horizont is very welcome :)

oh and enjoy paris. it's in my top 5 cities in the world, at #1 i think :) with london, new york and tokyo not far behind

#157 ricknau

ricknau

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Aug 07 2011 - 06:03 AM

Sky,

I wish I could help you out but my trip through that region from Spa to Paris will be by train.  And my day trip out of Paris by rental car will go in the opposite direction, taking in the Normandy region.

I did look at Google Earth to see just where the old Reims circuit was.  And from looking at that, as I'm sure you have, it looks like it's 90% farm fields except where it run past the small town of Gueux.

This website mentions a local preservation society who is now restoring and maintaining the old race related buildings.  I'll bet someone in that group would be happy to help you out.

http://www.pbase.com...p_circuit_reims

Edited by ricknau, Aug 07 2011 - 06:21 AM.

#158 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Aug 11 2011 - 02:11 AM

A little late perhaps, but excellent track map with altitudes:

Posted Image

As seen in this cool thread at the Autosport Nostalgia Forum:
http://forums.autosp...&st=80&start=80

#159 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,027 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Aug 11 2011 - 02:29 AM

Thanks Remco :hat-tip:
We have that already but don't stop looking for anything that might be useful :thumbup:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links