* * * * * 1 votes

Success! I Finally Got Gpl To Work On My Triple Screens!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,383 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 16 2018 - 12:36 PM

GPLShift won't adjust POV in in the 69x mod (only) in my experience.

For GPLShift to work (what parts of it don't work?) remember to delete the mod's EXE and let it be rebuilt, although I'm sure you're remembering that already.

For the 69x mod, I've just resorted to setting a reasonable FOV to show the mirrors (75°) with GEM. Delete the EXE first, then adjust the FOV in GEM, then let GEM rebuild the EXE. I'm using a single 24" monitor at 1920x1080 res.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Apr 16 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#42 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 16 2018 - 01:17 PM

Bob the problem is that changing the FOV is imo no option, if you want a real drivers view.

as I wrote: The FOV is not affected by moving the POV

To see the mirrors you have to move the drivers POV backwards and up or down.

We would need a tool that can handle every car. And makes changes persistant

I had an 69X accident yesterday as I did not see GregT in my mirrors, close following me,
I knew he is 6 meters behind me but not where...

Edited by Cookie, Apr 17 2018 - 06:51 AM.

#43 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Apr 16 2018 - 04:43 PM

Sounds interesting, IIRC when I was at my best that I was generally running 60 FOV and moving the POV via GPLshift as well. Maybe missing a little mirror too as it was before No Letterbox? :)

#44 Nicky Ickx

Nicky Ickx

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted Dec 14 2018 - 07:38 AM

Cant say I really understood whole stuff.. ( especially distance to monitor makes me wonder ) but however ;
using FOV of about 54° indeed serves me the feeling of brilliant feedback , visual & steering wise....

I allways got the impression  GPL  missmatches physic input in relation to what ya see on the screen.
Not lag but more the way like physic input take place part of a second before you reached that point on track , you expected these inputs to come.

wonder why Papyrus set FOV to 78° default ,something to do with CRT 4:3 back these days ?

Anyroads.

Big downside on these low FOV settings : you cant see if/ where  cars around .

To me it leads to the need of using triple screen or doing something magic like shown on attached  picture upper part :

Looks very much  like having advantage of lower FOV + nice peripheral view on 1 montior !
Not sure , but guess it can be done via Videoconverter Matrox TripleHead2go.
noletterbox patch & POV may soften the vertical displacement

also not sure if I bark up the wrong tree.

woud be even more great , if it can be manged via eyefinity stuff , make the baby run that way on 1 monitor.

any suggestions/experiences ?

edit:
another source about TripleHead2go setup on GPL (shows picture as well )
http://www.simhq.com...ology_065j.html

saying : `GPL’s interface remains on a single screen even when a triplehead resolution is used while driving.`

Attached Files

Edited by Nicky Ickx, Dec 14 2018 - 08:33 AM.

#45 G.Spinning

G.Spinning

Gianfranco

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted Dec 14 2018 - 09:04 AM

Triple screens was something that always intrigued me for GPL  because of the increased peripheral view, but from reading the forum I understood it was not something "Plug and Play". Last X-mas I had the possibility to buy with some discount a 34" ultra-wide curved display (Dell U3415W) and I made the best present to me. With its resolution 3440x1440 and a FOV set at 108 degree, I find that it provides the pro of the triple screen experience without any of the disadvantages. In the attached screens, it's the cockpit view with and w/o letter box. :wave:

Attached Files

#46 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted Dec 15 2018 - 08:07 AM

Yes, I went the same way and bought a 34' 2560x1080 monitor

but I used the FOV calculator and got 67°
Since then I bettered my PBs on every track I drove ;)
PS
a short clip of my first roll-out on my home track -> https://www.sendspace.com/file/tijxjl

PS
a clip of a full near perfect BT7 lap in Spa67 with 16:9 and FOV 60 -> https://www.sendspace.com/file/e21dar

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Dec 15 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#47 Nicky Ickx

Nicky Ickx

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted Dec 19 2018 - 10:48 AM

so well , after beeing catched up by time bandit called `search the web ` I stranded up with following conclusions :

1. only way to add the lef t & right view screenful to an tripple monitor setup , is to run 3 PCs at same time + do editing camera views and stuff.
   There is afaik no way to do this as well on 1 screen only.

2.but  just to gain more screenful on a single monitor , without chaning FOV or POV , bigger aspect ratio ( like 21:9 over 16:9 ) helps

3. just changin FOV isnt a usefull option to gain more screenfull , because it  simply corrupt distance ratio.
e.g, FOV of 106 serves of course  bigger viewing angel , but at cost of placing every object in front into far distance.
   Leads to : next turn seams lightyears away & same worth , chrashing into the car in front while braking , cause it looks far away ,but is not ....

4. bigger total aspect ratio of course could be done via tripple monitor setup.
But could easily result in the vital necessity of runing for a new stronger videocard. coz of 3 times amount of pixel had to been counted.
( At least as long you wont reduce resolution of course....)

5. Therefore ultrawide monitor indeed seam to be an quite useful alternative.
e.g. Full HD 16:9 monitor = 1980 x 1080  ; Full HD 32:9 monitor 3840 x 1080

No question  WQHD monitor ( 2560 x 1440 ) as well 4k monitor ( 3840 x 2160 ) do need more strong videocards. But thats another story ....

6. my final thoughts so far :

a) 32:9 must be best to achieve most screenful on a single monitor

B) as it comes to GPL in specific , 32:10 must be even better coz of virtual mirror placement.
unfortunarely only models on the marketplace atm came without freesync + without adaptive sync

please feel free to call me an complete idiot , in case all above is nonsense :up:
ideally , just correct me and widen my horizon , is what helps me best .

wonder if my old HD7950 will handle GPL/60fps on an Samsung C49HG90 :drive1:

last note :  hope the word screenful does make any scence ; its what my online dictionary told me

Edited by Nicky Ickx, Dec 19 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#48 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted Dec 19 2018 - 06:16 PM

Hallo Nicky,

yes I agree a 32:9 would be even better than my 21:9 for GPL. The HD7950 would be good enough but a full 69X grid at Spa67 needs a strong CPU.
IMO you would not need virtual mirrors as you will see the mirrors. For SCX Ginetto made VMs suiting my 21:9...

I am happy with mine, as I also use it as TV when they show ultrawide films in 21:9 and there are more than I thought in german free TV!

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Dec 19 2018 - 06:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links