Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 06:22 AM

Yes, they had a semi automatic transmission,
just like the one VW had it in the beetle in those days, the clutch worked when you touched the gearstick !!!

Here it is best described: https://primotipo.co...m-chaparral-2f/

Edited by Cookie, Jan 05 2019 - 06:48 AM.

#22 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 09:16 AM

View PostSaiph, on Jan 05 2019 - 04:47 AM, said:

In practical terms, for real-life GPL drivers who don't have a game controller with extra buttons, the best way to implement the wing feature would be to make it a toggle switch, which automatically cancels as soon as the brakes are applied. Using this method, a player could quickly and simply tap the "wing flat" key at the start of a straight, and then put their hands back on the controls to drive properly. At the end of the straight, when they apply the brakes to slow for the next corner, the "wing flat" feature switches off, so they don't have to do anything.

Sometimes, it seems that a slavish dedication to "realism" can lead to poor decisions being taken for GPL mods. IMHO this 2F wing feature is an example of this. It's poorly implemented and poorly documented.

At the moment, I can't see any point in driving the GTX 2F, because I have no practical way of reducing drag on the straights, and therefore my laptimes are going to be slower than they should be. :idunno:

One of the difficulties in writing any patch is getting it to work for for all the users.  There are so many different configurations used by our GPLers that it is impossible ensure each one works properly.  I do the best I can, but obviously don't have access to multiple types of controllers.  All I can do is test the patch with my controller and hope that it works OK for others.  Other mod team members tested the patch too of course with their various controllers.  I think the patch does work well for most users and only people who have three pedal setups are having trouble.  Tormentor's setup is so complicated that it looks like a space ship.  :)

If everyone would buy me their controller and send it to me, then I might be able to make everyone happy.  :)

BTW, I've tried before to make a toggle type switch for GPL, but failed.  It has something to do with the way keys/buttons/pedals are polled continuously and I never broke the code so to speak.  So even if I agreed that a toggle switch for the wing would be good, I couldn't implement it.

Please remember that I am an amateur programmer and don't have access to GPL's original source code.  All patches are reverse engineering which isn't an easy task...especially for a volunteer who doesn't get paid to do it.

For those who can't get the 2F's wing to work properly, there still are nine other great cars to drive.  Don't let this one area spoil the rest of the mod for you.

Edited by Lee200, Jan 05 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#23 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 09:25 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Jan 05 2019 - 02:13 AM, said:

Lee, could you please program Bluetooth support for GPL. ;)

Yes I can do that, but have decided to set up a Go Fund Me site for future GPL patches.  :)

#24 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 10:08 AM

Lee in the other thread "Snafu" John Hammond wrote that he uses a toggle switching the wing!

http://srmz.net/inde...=80#entry136809

#25 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 10:15 AM

Nice rig and selection of wheels there Tormentor. :)

#26 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 10:16 AM

View PostCookie, on Jan 05 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

Lee in the other thread "Snafu" John Hammond wrote that he uses a toggle switching the wing!

http://srmz.net/inde...=80#entry136809

Yes, I'd read that and was glad to see that he was able to use JoyToKey to toggle.  Maybe Saiph can do that with his joystick?

Edited by Lee200, Jan 05 2019 - 10:17 AM.

#27 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostTormentor, on Jan 05 2019 - 05:04 AM, said:

The problem is, GPL does'nt allow me to assign ANY OTHER key than a keyboard key for view pitboard. Only a third of my buttonbox buttons work with gpl. Don't know whats going on here.
Have you read Manfred's post?

View PostManfred Cubenoggin, on Jan 04 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

These images might help you out of the bind...

Attachment C2F_wing.jpg

All you need is Joy2Key tool and assign your wheel buttons to keyboard. Not hard at all....

Edited by Pavel, Jan 05 2019 - 12:47 PM.

#28 Tormentor

Tormentor

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 01:03 PM

GPL.exe is patched with gpl-shift, i CANT change gears without clutch. And i am using a steering wheel without buttons, because of realism, so i am everything, but not against realism. I will find my own solution for this problem as always.

Lee, thanks for all your work, you did a great job! I really have a very complicated setup here, so it's not your fault!

View Posttjc, on Jan 05 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

Nice rig and selection of wheels there Tormentor. :)

Thank you!

#29 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 02:24 PM

View PostTormentor, on Jan 05 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

GPL.exe is patched with gpl-shift, i CANT change gears without clutch.
My gpl.exe is also patched with gpl-shift and I CAN change gears without clutch :idunno:

#30 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 02:28 PM

Depends on whether or not you have the "Clutch_Threshold" setting set to something other that "0" in the GPLshift.ini

#31 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 02:37 PM

View Postjxeboy, on Jan 05 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

Depends on whether or not you have the "Clutch_Threshold" setting set to something other that "0" in the GPLshift.ini
I know. And I think its not a problem for Tormentor to set it to 0 too.

#32 Tormentor

Tormentor

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Jan 14 2019 - 03:06 AM

Finally, i made 2 buttons on my steering wheel for this mod, and used joy2key to map them to "raise arm" and "pitboard" in GPL.
This is just a quick and dirty solution for my problem, i will see if i can find a way to install them on the backside of the thumbguards, to make them invisible while driving.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Keep racing!

#33 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jan 14 2019 - 06:27 AM

Very clever.  That's a cool setup and I envy you.  Glad you've got the mod working OK now.  :)

#34 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted Jan 18 2019 - 07:27 PM

Would anyone be willing to share their Joytokey settings for the chapparal wing? I am having a tough time getting GPL to recognize the clutch as a button.

#35 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted Jan 19 2019 - 04:18 AM

Here is my settings for Logitech G25 wheel. Slider 1 is clutch pedal and is set to act as W key. In GPL show pitboard function set to W key too.
I've attached Joy2key cfg file for gpl below. It should be placed into Joy2key program's folder.

Attached Files

Edited by Pavel, Jan 19 2019 - 04:20 AM.

#36 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Jan 19 2019 - 04:22 AM

.....and Cookie posted his G27 config here....

http://srmz.net/inde...=40#entry136643

#37 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted Jan 19 2019 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for posting the settings, I have mine set the same way but it doesn't effect the wing. If I open a notepad document and push down my clutch I can see the "W" typed, but when I'm in GPL the pedal does nothing on the Control assignment screen and even if I use the keyboard to map the pitboard to "W" the pedal has no effect when driving. I can tell as soon as I push "W" on the keyboard I speed up in a straight line.

I'll keep playing around with it but I'm wondering if GPL is recognizing the axis instead of the keyboard press? I am purposely not calibrating the pedal in GPL.

#38 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted Jan 19 2019 - 06:49 AM

View Postjxeboy, on Jan 19 2019 - 06:38 AM, said:

Thanks for posting the settings, I have mine set the same way but it doesn't effect the wing. If I open a notepad document and push down my clutch I can see the "W" typed, but when I'm in GPL the pedal does nothing on the Control assignment screen and even if I use the keyboard to map the pitboard to "W" the pedal has no effect when driving. I can tell as soon as I push "W" on the keyboard I speed up in a straight line.

I'll keep playing around with it but I'm wondering if GPL is recognizing the axis instead of the keyboard press? I am purposely not calibrating the pedal in GPL.

Got it to work! Had to run JoytoKey as Administrator. Sorry if I missed that somewhere!

#39 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jan 19 2019 - 08:59 AM

View Postjxeboy, on Jan 19 2019 - 06:49 AM, said:

Got it to work! Had to run JoytoKey as Administrator. Sorry if I missed that somewhere!

:yipee2:

#40 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted Jan 19 2019 - 12:33 PM

I found ControMK as freeware does the same as joytokey without shareware connections...

Get it here:

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Jan 19 2019 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links